Pretty nice 74 on Ebay

Manthri Srinath

Reaction score
OK got the car, it is beautiful and elegant and runs and drives really well. It is very complete and stock. No surprise to any, there is significant rust but I am not going to let it keep me from enjoying the car! It is in the typical areas behind the front wheel wells extending up towards the cowl, I took a video but it won't attach. Also rusted through in the spare tire well. Shock towers are good. The floors and rockers look like they had recent good quality repairs, I don't see any visible patches and everything is solid but there is fresh undercoat.

Spare tire is an ancient Michelin X 175-14, looks like it's never touched the ground.

So very close to complete tool kit! What's missing?

Nice surprise in the glovebox: an owner's manual and USA supplement.

I see that I neglected to get some beauty shots, will do that tomorrow.

That’s really good to hear :)

I’d love to see that video too. I lose sleep over the still-unknown rust issues in my car. I think it’s pretty clean, minus two scary rust spots on the front passenger side fender and some minor wheel well rust, but I can’t really be sure just how clean. I don’t even know how to reach back there and get a good video.

Congratulations!

Eric V

Site Donor $
Reaction score
OK here's my first YouTube video of the rusty area behind the left front wheelwell. Right side is similar. Fortunately there is no rust visible from inside the car up behind the glove compartment or fuse box. Next I'm going to post some prettier pictures.

Last edited:

Eric V

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Dash has no cracks. Instruments must have been restored, quartz clock works, odometer doesn't (I've read the odometer gear repair links). Tires were inflated to 80-100 PSI! Looks like my first project will be to pull the warped passenger side door card, figure out why the power window's not working, and swap out the wood trim. Looks like Madera Concepts is the go-to. One turn signal wasn't working, turned out to be just a corroded socket. Plugs are Bosch R6, looks like they have been burning just a bit on the clean lean side, gaps were a little wide. Compression was 155, 155, 155, 165, 160, 160. A/C blows cold, BW auto tranny is very smooth. Runs great!

Attachments

• Dashboard.JPG
    Dashboard.JPG
    301.1 KB · Views: 182
  • Instruments.JPG
    Instruments.JPG
    296.2 KB · Views: 160
  • DoorWood.JPG
    DoorWood.JPG
    339 KB · Views: 178
  • Front.JPG
    Front.JPG
    272.3 KB · Views: 173
  • LeftFront.JPG
    LeftFront.JPG
    282.8 KB · Views: 167
  • LeftRear.JPG
    LeftRear.JPG
    294.4 KB · Views: 163
  • Back.JPG
    Back.JPG
    288.6 KB · Views: 177
Last edited:

Eric V

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Drove great this week, took her to the DMV for registration and YOM plates, stopped to gas up and gas tank rust holes revealed themselves with really big leaks, not at all safe to drive and my wife would justifiably kick us both out if I bring it home to my garage like that, so we just made acquaintances with La Jolla Independent. I was planning to go see them, just wasn’t planning to go see them today!

Last edited:

shermanmartinez

Reaction score
Looks like you will need to check the hoses on the tank as well as the o -ring seals on the sender. If you're not lucky and it's neither one of those then you will need to pull the tank and take it to a radiator shop as they usually have the ability to boil out the tank then weld up any holes and reseal the inside for a leak free tank.

I believe the only tool you were missing in your kit was the 10mm/11mm wrench. I have several of them available in good shape.

Also, if you ever want to convert your transmission over to a manual, I have a very nice Getrag 265 overdrive 5 speed with speedometer drive and correct bellhousing for an E9.

shermanmartinez at Hotmail dot com

Eric V

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Thank you Shermanmartinez. The gas tank had been “repaired” at least once before, is now considered beyond repair and is being replaced with a new one, will renew the O ring and hoses and clamps too. A member supplied that socket wrench to complete the tool kit, will put the tools in a tool roll now to save wear and tear on the plastic tray. And I’ll be in touch if I really don’t like the auto tranny.

MotoCarlo

Reaction score
So sorry. I have had these kind of "move in" problems with vintage cars. But that gas tank! That crosses the line of negligence on the seller's part. (I know there are no real lines in the used car market, but come on. ) This is dangerous.
But once you get it sorted, you re going to really enjoy this car. Bummer though!