Prop Shaft Bearing

tochi

Reaction score
I remain confident but cautious. I take your point on pre-loading and that was done. The mount is also new. I have 256bhp as opposed to 170bhp standard so 50% additional power means something is necessary. Either engine mounts or propshaft bearing holder, and the propshaft bearing holder was easier.
FWIW, the '87 M6 advertised power similar to yours. It employed the same center driveshaft support/bearing 26111206502. That does not mean it couldn't stand improvement. o_O

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=5514-USA-07-1987-E24-BMW-M6&diagId=26_0058
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/pa...W-M6&mg=26&sg=10&diagId=26_0058&q=26111206502

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I'm out of town right now, but can get a picture or two later this week.

Rek

Reaction score
Well that didn't work very well. I had the new bearing and housing fitted and at low speeds it was fine. As soon as there was acceleration and speed, there was a horrible reverberation. I have yet to investigate but despite being checked, the prop must be out of alignment. My question is how can this be and how can I check and adjust the alignment. Any ideas welcome

I have yet to look under the car to see if the bearing is still in one piece. It could be that the polyeurathane came loose from the bearing housing and I have a donut of poly rattling around.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The transmission mounts are new from Coupe King. How do I check and adjust the driveshaft angles?
Loosen the tranny flange/driveshaft bolts so there is about 1/8" gap, then rotate the driveshaft, if the distance closes or opens between the two surfaces you need to adjust the up and down or side to side position (or both) of the center bearing mount so that no wobble is present. You may need to add washers or enlarge the bearing mount slots to allow for more adjustments. A little goes a long way. Then tighten the tranny flange back up to the D/S.

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
I need to look at the phasing too. It might be that the shaft is out 180 degrees. Is there an easy way to know this?

At least my driveshaft has one marking on each half (a dot, if I remember correctly), these marks/dots should line up against each other.

Rek

Reaction score
Loosen the tranny flange/driveshaft bolts so there is about 1/8" gap, then rotate the driveshaft, if the distance closes or opens between the two surfaces you need to adjust the up and down or side to side position (or both) of the center bearing mount so that no wobble is present. You may need to add washers or enlarge the bearing mount slots to allow for more adjustments. A little goes a long way. Then tighten the tranny flange back up to the D/S.
That's great advice. Thank you.

Rek

Reaction score
My "better centre support bearing" has yet to be finally tested. As yet no, but it may need more accurate adjustment as per @Stevehose suggestions because the tolerances are less. I looked at the prop shaft and the positions were marked so that indicates that it was put together how it came apart.

billpatterson

Site Donor
Reaction score
My "better centre support bearing" has yet to be finally tested. As yet no, but it may need more accurate adjustment as per @Stevehose suggestions because the tolerances are less. I looked at the prop shaft and the positions were marked so that indicates that it was put together how it came apart.

Hi there
I was wondering if from members experience, is a manufacturer of a centre support bearing prefered over another. Like is SKF prefered over Febi, for example.

Cheers

billpatterson

Site Donor
Reaction score

Attachments

• 0A07ACF1-440D-4213-90A0-A2221D103A3B.jpeg
    0A07ACF1-440D-4213-90A0-A2221D103A3B.jpeg
    287.1 KB · Views: 46