Pros and Cons for removal of the Shock spacers for bumper height 1973 E9

lytebrite

Deceased
Reaction score
If you do the bolt trim, I loaded a die on each bolt, all the way down and flush, then cut the bolt with an angle grinder, then screwed the die off to set new threads where it was cut. Easier than going the other way.
Great idea. I have the spacers sitting on top of the towers. Need to do this!

Barry.b

Reaction score
I noticed that my front end is a bit higher than the rear end in discussion with a couple forum members it is clear that there is an aluminum spacer 31331113721 on each side to meet the FMVSS bumper height requirements. It was recommended to remove this which would level front to rear. It looks very straight forward just remove the three nuts and jack the front end to lower the strut assy.

Are there pros and cons to removing this?
Hi guys
I am wondering if anyone has had any wheels rubbing on the wings / fenders when the spacers have been removed.
I would think the standard wheels are probably fine , but if you were running maybe 16” wheels would you be too close then ???
By the way I know you are saying that the spacers were for US safety reasons but mine has them too and she’s a UK RHD car . So I wonder if all markets had them ???
Which bit is thicker or thinner on the rear spring ?
I do like the idea of improving the stance a bit , especially as it seems so easy to achieve .

Attachments

• AE5943AE-A10B-476B-9E53-832721E6C0C7.png
    AE5943AE-A10B-476B-9E53-832721E6C0C7.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 139
  • 41862148-B9DA-4D75-BE8C-BB162B5028E8.jpeg
    41862148-B9DA-4D75-BE8C-BB162B5028E8.jpeg
    358.8 KB · Views: 140

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
My 14" rims and 205 tires rub from the lowering springs, not spacer removal. Roll your fenders and you'll be fine with stock wheel/tire combo.

lip277

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Back in 1983 when I bought my 2002, that is (I think) one of the very first things I did to the car.
It just changed the whole look the car had - Doing that just changed the attitude the car presented and was 'just right' - I installed shorter bolts so I was able to remove them entirely. :)

afeustel

Site Donor $
Reaction score
For folks who are doing this, PLEASE do not forget to cut the studs or replace with shorter ones...you will not like the damage that can happen to the hood when the studs are too long. I don't think it always happens, but there is a risk.

pickman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Yes I used a die grinder and cut the bolts back to fit the new strut position. I have not had any issues with the tires interfering with the springs all my tires/wheels are original size.

m_thompson

Reaction score
For folks who are doing this, PLEASE do not forget to cut the studs or replace with shorter ones...you will not like the damage that can happen to the hood when the studs are too long. I don't think it always happens, but there is a risk.

I bought shorter studs from the local dealer. It took just a few minutes to replace the long studs with short ones.

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
What a difference 20mm makes! These before and after pictures are at slightly different angles so not exactly apples to apples, but you get the idea...

IMG_5645.jpeg

IMG_6158.jpeg

The view out the windshield is noticeably different (better).

If you haven't pulled the spacers out of your E3 or E9 yet...do it!

Cornishman

Site Donor
Reaction score
My U.K. RHD Dec 1973 build also had these spacers, so it seems they were fitted to all cars after a certain date.

billpatterson

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi there,

I too have installed HR sport springs all around, Bilstein shocks x 4, and removed the strut spacer. I found the front stance to be a tad low. I rolled the fenders when I did this so I've had no rubbing. However, I also cut the strut bearing bolts so they would not damage my hood. This was the limiting step to me adding height to the front of 'Heidi'. I wanted to add a custom milled spacers 1/8" spacers so I could add increments of 1/8" between the strut and body. BUT my bolts are too short. So....the option I found when searching for 'coil spring spacers' has worked great! I wanted to add back 1/2-3/4". The pictures below tell the story. It was a super fast and I think a slick solution. Sorry...the picture of the car with the 'to low' stance is not the ideal angle though you can see less tire.

I seem to recall that the spacing of between the coils of the front HR sport springs is wider at the bottom and narrower at the top; if my recollection correct, then these spacers would also be adjustable; you could add more height by moving the spacer up. Mmmmm.

Too low,

1636324542933.jpeg

Cut strut bearing bolts,

1636324597470.jpeg

Coil spring spacer/buffer,

1636324644372.jpeg

Just right ride height,

1636324701636.jpeg

Spacer info,

1636324974001.jpeg

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Do they affect the handling. Would I have to make any other changes to the struts, etc? I too have the same front end setup on my 72 Bavaria. H&R, Bilsteins, bigger sway bars.