Rear license plate mount (N. America)

Candia4441

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
How should the rear license plate mount on a coupe? I am referring to US-Canada dimensioned plates.

My coupe has a single hole at the center of the chrome trim piece, and came with a 2-piece bracket that bolted to it. See the two pictures below. Is this bracket a factory part? If so, it isn't BMW's finest engineering achievement!

The bracket really doesn't fit, and with the plate just supported from one point, it tends to rattle. You can sort of see in the photo of the bracket where I bolted a couple of rubber "feet" to two of the arms to stabilize it against the body. That sort of helped, but it's far from perfect.

Has anyone come up with a better solution?
the bracket that you have is correct bracket and rear chrome have 3 hole the first thing you do take that red reflector out and that bolt that you bolted together that 2 pice of bracket takit out and turn 180 degree and bolt the bracket from that single hole to the plate hole instead of that reflector when you tied the bolt on left and right you will see that is exactly is the size of license plate four hole and the center hole on the plate is for holding the plate to the car buddy it is not for license plate let me know if it works if not I will take the picture of mine and send it to you bi the way I have 2 E9 and my new E9 don't have the bracket and I am looking for it will you tell me where did you buy that

Candia4441

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
How should the rear license plate mount on a coupe? I am referring to US-Canada dimensioned plates.

My coupe has a single hole at the center of the chrome trim piece, and came with a 2-piece bracket that bolted to it. See the two pictures below. Is this bracket a factory part? If so, it isn't BMW's finest engineering achievement!

The bracket really doesn't fit, and with the plate just supported from one point, it tends to rattle. You can sort of see in the photo of the bracket where I bolted a couple of rubber "feet" to two of the arms to stabilize it against the body. That sort of helped, but it's far from perfect.

Has anyone come up with a better solution?
and if you don't want to use your bracket there is new kind of bracket you can buy it for $20 and you can bolted to the center hole and after you put the license plate you will not see any part of bracket but it is not original bracket and you can sale your original bracket to me. how is that sunds

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
and if you don't want to use your bracket there is new kind of bracket you can buy it for $20 and you can bolted to the center hole and after you put the license plate you will not see any part of bracket but it is not original bracket and you can sale your original bracket to me. how is that sunds
You have resurrected a 12 year old thread. The 2800CS as I recall did use an H shaped bracket with the center hole and that is why you see so many early coupes with the red reflectors in those two holes. As a favor to myself and possibly others could you use punctuation in your posts, it makes for a more enjoyable read, at least for me. Thank you.

Candia4441

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
You have resurrected a 12 year old thread. The 2800CS as I recall did use an H shaped bracket with the center hole and that is why you see so many early coupes with the red reflectors in those two holes. As a favor to myself and possibly others could you use punctuation in your posts, it makes for a more enjoyable read, at least for me. Thank you.
will do and thank you for letting me know as you know I am new and have hard time to work with this site and I am 65 years old I am not as good as this new generation with computer.