Rear window motor e28 mod

BarryG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Nor*Cal - Rocklin, around the corner from Dan
I’m about to tackle doing the motors on the rear windows. I can’t find any threads on replacing the motors.
Has anyone done this mod?
Thanks

B957F320-4543-49F2-B311-9E653FFC7261.jpeg

A8019BCD-D014-4813-A562-A8AEC2CE0B4D.jpeg

x_atlas0

Reaction score
I did it a very long time ago. I had the regulator out, and had to trim part of it to make it fit.

Are you replacing the motor and the transmission, or just the motor?

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Are the old motors that slow and horrible, especially since nobody ever sits back there anyway?

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Torque and reliability were improved in the mid-73 update when circuit breakers were added but the e28 motor does have a bit more torque than the upgrade motors. A lot of the issue is solved with clean tracks.

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Agree....

the E24 rear windows are notorious for being slow simply because of the grease in the tracks. Norm Grills had an entire e24 booklet of gems and one was that the rear windows are slow, just run them every once in a while to keep them up to speed.

BarryG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Nor*Cal - Rocklin, around the corner from Dan
Hi guys
Here’s the deal

This started because i failed to do the veneer correctly on that wood trim at the qt window. If you are familiar with that piece, there is a little lip on the bottom edge that the qt door card slips under.
I was so happy with myself for taking on this project I didn’t realize how important that lip was.
I may be able to find another trim piece or have a local wood worker make me one.

So when you’re in there you may as well get things right.
As Chris said it may just need a good re greasing. I will take them out and check how gummed up they are. May as well swap the motors and give the old ones to someone that may need them, they probably are like new sense they don’t get used much.

More to come

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Barry, I was under the impression that Euro cars have rear electric and front manual windows. That is how my Euro is set up and I like it that way.
Can you add a photo as to what you are referring to...the lip? Unclear to me but since I did my own, perhaps I can offer some insight.

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Have those who converted, had difficulty with window alignment afterwards? In pulling the entire setup during restoration, I marked the hell out of everything and still had a hell of a time getting the window alignment back to baseline.