Red screwdrivers??

Sooner

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Howdy All,
I have a customer looking for a small red screwdriver (imagine that) anyway I pulled out a few I have and now I am wondering what was delivered from the factory.
I have 4 small red drivers and I will try to describe them the best I can:

#1 This one is the darkest red of the four, it says made in W. Germany in small font on one side the other side is blank. The "clip" that hold the driver shaft in the handle is made of two metal clips and the lowest portion of the red plastic is knotched the same as the handel itself. By the looks and construction it appears to be the oldest but that is just a guess.
#2 This one is the second darkest red, it has a "2" one one side as well as Heyco but the 2 is rotated 90 degrees and would be read verticle where the "heyco" is horizontal. The flip side says in small font Made in W. Germany. The "clip" is black plastic and and hexagon shaped and pressed into the end of the red plastic. The bottom portion is smooth and not knotched as the first one.
#3 and #4 Are basically the same on one side it says "DGBM" on both running horizontally and vertically one has a "2" the other has a "3" on the flip side the both say made in W. Germany. The clip to hold the driver is is also a hexagon shape and pressed into the plastic but it is pink in color.

Big Red screwdrivers
#1 This one says CHR-VAN and right below that says made in W. Germany, these are the only markings on this one.
#2 This one says Heyco on the handel the flip side say made in Western Germany-10000V. THe driver shaft says CHROM-Vanadium 1,0x7,0. The tip is also machined about 3 mm and it appears to be factory as there are cross hatches and it is just a tad bit thinner than the rest of the tip.

Sorry the pictures are kind of bad but hopefully you can see some of the details.

Attachments

• redscrewdrivers 007.jpg
    redscrewdrivers 007.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 286
  • redscrewdrivers 002.jpg
    redscrewdrivers 002.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 366
  • redscrewdrivers 011.jpg
    redscrewdrivers 011.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 242

CSL 1973

Reaction score
Hi Sooner,

Very interesting question.

As far as I know, the darkest red small one with the metal clip insert could be for earlier models (before 1974). In my CSi from 06/1975, I have the one with the black plastic hexagon insert, stamped "Made in W-Germany" and with the bottom portion smooth and not knotched.

As regards the longer screwdriver, in the CSi from 06/1975, it is the light red one and and it is stamped "Made in W-Germany".

Cheers

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Richard,

My small driver has the pinkish insert to hold the blade, probably white originally, no notches on the red handle at the end near the blade, Made in W-Germany on one side, DBGM and a vertical 4 on the other, removable blade is 5 inches long.

The large one says Heyco on the handle, CHROM-VANADIUM 1,0x7 on the blade, blade shank accomodates a 10mm open end wrench, blade is 5 inches long.

D-jetronic

Reaction score
Photos of the little red one of my tool-kit.
Similar to chris but 5 on the handle, white insert.
Bought by my father with the car -euro spec-in april 73 (?).

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
hi

the kit on e-bay is really beautiful, but incredible expensive !

you can find the complete kit of HEYCO tools from JAIMIC in UK for 100 euro

I ordered one and it is almost complete, you can see a pic of my tool-box, when I bought the car it was completely empty

a1jxgn.jpg

this are the tools in a pic from jaimic sent when they try to convince me that the set was appropriate

15s4yue.jpg

you will need to and the sparks, three allen tools and some light bulbs, and that´s it !

regards

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
BMW still sells the wrenches and pliers, almost everything can be ordered from Samstag but screwdrivers are green, no allen wrenches (try Wiha for a very close match) or feeler gauges (but available from someone here or Coupeking).

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
BMW still sells the wrenches and pliers, almost everything can be ordered from Samstag but screwdrivers are green, no allen wrenches (try Wiha for a very close match) or feeler gauges (but available from someone here or Coupeking).

right

what is the problem with red or green ??:-D

I am missing something !! is it a purist matter ?? some kind of concourse preparation ??

regards

Ives

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Red Screwdrivers

de Quincey,

I think the red screwdrivers are just a matter of trying to find something that is hard to get and that they were original equipment. In my case it is more fun than OCD and a good talking point when I email other Coupers. I brought it up with one Couper and he told me he had owned a "true light weight CSL" and they did not have toolkits so he did not initially get the mention of mine on "elusive red screwdrivers". They are akin to the blue rag in the toolkit or original radios or any other period correct do dad. I'm persuing it as an entertaining passtime and an interesting and odd fact about the Coupe.

Regards, Jon

bmw art car

Reaction score
de Quincey,

I think the red screwdrivers are just a matter of trying to find something that is hard to get and that they were original equipment. In my case it is more fun than OCD and a good talking point when I email other Coupers. I brought it up with one Couper and he told me he had owned a "true light weight CSL" and they did not have toolkits so he did not initially get the mention of mine on "elusive red screwdrivers". They are akin to the blue rag in the toolkit or original radios or any other period correct do dad. I'm persuing it as an entertaining passtime and an interesting and odd fact about the Coupe.

Regards, Jon

lol when i got my car...i posted pictures of it including the toolbox...
and someone said... 'oooooh, even comes with the red screw driver'
and i was like... is that something special?

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Jon, you nailed it! The search is most of the fun and they are rare these days. My coupe is stock as well and I enjoy keeping it that way. And yes, I had to have the blue shop rag as well.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
de Quincey,

Regards, Jon

ok

that is your choice, I respect

I agree that trying to find something difficult gives you a chance of displaying all your abilities, and there is more than simple fun in that

as they say: there is not only the goal that matters, but also the path you walk towards it

cheers:-D

m_thompson

Reaction score
lol when i got my car...i posted pictures of it including the toolbox...
and someone said... 'oooooh, even comes with the red screw driver'
and i was like... is that something special?

Mine came with an almost empty tool box. I just ordered all of the replacement tools, including the red screw driver, from my local dealer. That was in 1983 by the way.

I get the same reaction to the red screw driver. It is fun to watch the puzzled reaction when I tell them I bought it at my local dealer.

bmw art car

Reaction score
Mine came with an almost empty tool box. I just ordered all of the replacement tools, including the red screw driver, from my local dealer. That was in 1983 by the way.

I get the same reaction to the red screw driver. It is fun to watch the puzzled reaction when I tell them I bought it at my local dealer.
haha
how much did you pay for them?

in 1983

m_thompson

Reaction score
haha
how much did you pay for them?

in 1983

I would have to do some digging to find that receipt. I did find one from 1988. I bought a 51121810972 BUMPER OVER-RIDER for $36.43; the current MSRP is $418.35. On the same slip is a 35411107684 ACCELERATOR PEDAL ASSY for $9.67 which is now $103.58.

verde2002

Site Donor
Reaction score
Does the screwdriver work any better because it is red??? Give me a break, I am so sick of people paying $500 for a tool set because it has the RED screwdriver or idiots asking $649 for a tool set on E-Bay because the RED screwdriver is included. if it means so much let me know and I will reproduce these red scredrivers at my factory if I can sell them for $500>

Ives

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Red Screwdrivers

verde2002,

OK--- how much do you want to sell Red Screwdrivers to the "idiots" for? You have a factory and the where with all to reproduce them in red with the right marking and lengths. This will give you an opportunity never see those people paying too much money on EBAY. Now you could deal with them directly. Name your price and see if you get any action from the "idiots".

Regards, Jon

verde2002

Site Donor
Reaction score
Ives,

I was just trying to make a point and have no intention of reproducing a screwdriver that at best I might be able to sell 50 or so. We do manufacture hand tools and in theory we could reproduce them but it would make absolutely no financial sense. I think you might have missed the point I was trying to make.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I haven't seen any complete tool kits going for $649 but if they do who cares? A refurbed empty tool box is over $300 alone. And no one uses the red screwdrivers but they are cool looking. We all enjoy our coupes, some in different ways, nothing wrong with that.