remove and reinstall tail light lenses

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Has anyone removed tail light lenses from the chrome frame and successfully reinstalled them into a newer, better, or rechromed frame?

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
here you go

Hi Stan, I just read your post and was wondering about the same thing and since I had a few pitted rear lenses I thought I would answer your question by doing it. The reverse light is the smallest and it took about 9 minutes, so grab a cup of coffee and a comfortable place to stand. The lenses seem to be form-melted if that is even a term, but the plastic wraps around the steel frame so the back side has to be removed then it will fall out. The re-assembly might be tricky- I'll try that later but I'm sure it can be done.

Attachments

• lensremoval4.jpg
    lensremoval4.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 252
  • lensremoval5.jpg
    lensremoval5.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 236
  • lensremoval6.jpg
    lensremoval6.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 225
  • lensremoval7.jpg
    lensremoval7.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 229
  • lensremoval9.jpg
    lensremoval9.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 263

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
oh,

the back side "bead" should be cleaned up really well so you can't see the grind marks through the plastic as there is a little border that is visible. I scraped a razor blade across it multiple times and polished up the lens. I could have done a better job, but you could spend hours and get them 100% You can see the upper left corner and the left side where I could have cleaned it up more. Also, not sure how I will permanently affix. More later!

Attachments

• lensremoval10.jpg
    lensremoval10.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 285

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Bernie, that does sound like a better way- pretty stinky stuff when grinding! Now we need a good way to re-affix!

Thanks!

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Brea, do you have any pictures of the finished result? BTW, I have a few extra lens assemblies -all pitted- and I'll be experimenting. One of the frames has a red directional signal lens instead of amber? I wonder if I could trade with that chap on eBay for his red handled screwdriver?

brea

Reaction score
Amber lens replaced

I only have pictures of the outside after replacement.

Attachments

• BMW CS 034.jpg
    BMW CS 034.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 268
  • BMW CS 035.jpg
    BMW CS 035.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 273
  • BMW CS 037.jpg
    BMW CS 037.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 267

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Brea, do you have any pictures of the finished result? BTW, I have a few extra lens assemblies -all pitted- and I'll be experimenting. One of the frames has a red directional signal lens instead of amber? I wonder if I could trade with that chap on eBay for his red handled screwdriver?

Peter,

which side is your red turn signal lens? i need / want a right (passenger) side
scott

30csl

Site Donor
Reaction score
Its a long time since i did this but I used a plyers to grab the inner lip and rotate it, it just snapped off enabling on each edge. I was then able to remove the lens and clean and glue back in. 10 years later and its all good.

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
What I am reading leads me to think that the replacement is simpler than the removal.
I was considering fabricating a lip around the edge to it would attach as it did originally but this seems a superfluous bit of engineering.

I found a manufacturer in Australia who will make the lenses!
Next step is to send samples to him and see how they come out.

Has anyone re-chromed the frame THEN tried to fit the lenses in?
If the tolerance is tight, another step may be warranted

brea

Reaction score
Stan, is the manufacturer in Australia called David Azzopardi Manufacturing at http://www.tailights.com/ ??

This same company also sells them on eBay under the handle name Streetlens.

http://www.ebay.com/csc/streetlens/m.html?LH_Complete=1&_ipg=50&_since=15&_sop=13&_rdc=1

I have purchased a full set from him for my Honda S600 a few years ago.

What I am reading leads me to think that the replacement is simpler than the removal.
I was considering fabricating a lip around the edge to it would attach as it did originally but this seems a superfluous bit of engineering.

I found a manufacturer in Australia who will make the lenses!
Next step is to send samples to him and see how they come out.

Has anyone re-chromed the frame THEN tried to fit the lenses in?
If the tolerance is tight, another step may be warranted

Last edited:

frogisland

Reaction score
Had mine rechromed...and the lenses with the inner lip do not fit. Not far out but sufficient for the lenses to refuse to sit as they should. Particularly notable on the turn signal lense.

There was another thread a few months ago about this topic, i may have posted a photo or two. Can't recall but can take a couple of photos if required.
JP

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score

brea

Reaction score
YES, thats the guy!
What is your opinion of the quality?

Stan, well it all depends upon what you want to use them for and how nit pick'n you or your friends are that will know that they are not OEM.

They are good replacements for use on a road rally or cars & coffee gatherings but they would not fly at concours showings. I drive my Honda S600 car with peace of mind knowing if one of mine took a hit from a rock, my very good OEM's ones are still in my shop on the shelf and I can still order a replacement from him.

I am no expert on the of type plastic material used by him but his are made from a much lighter (weight) type of plastic and the clarity of the plastic is not that of an OEM lens.

My original Honda S600 ones had raised letters with the manufacturers name "Stanley in Japan" but his did not show the manufacturers name on them, I guess due to manufacturer's copyright issues. So I will be surprised if the these BMW CS ones will say Hella on them. Also the other writing or numbers that are on his lenses is not as sharp or raised as much as the OEM. My guess is that he just makes a mold from a good sample, erases the maker name, cleans it up some and runs with it.

I was happy with the fit but I did have to do some finish polishing along the edges. In regards to the coloring, the red was on the lighter brighter side, the amber color was on the cloudy darker side, and the clear was on the cloudy side.

I regards to the reflective facets on the inside of my lens, the facet edges were not nearly as sharp cut as the OEM which I feel cuts down about 50% of the reflective brightness. I tried to get my wife's diamond ring this same way once to save money for another car and I almost got the boot from her.

Since it sounds like you are are considering a special order with him maybe you can request a higher quality type plastic material being used to match it closer to OEM.

Hope that helps.

Cheers!

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hi Scott, I have the passenger side and you can have it but it's got a chip. Let me know if you want it and when my heat knife arrives I'll get it going. It does not look cracked from the inside but it depends how bad yours is- Price- about 4 bucks for shipping mail.

Peter

Attachments

• redlens.jpg
    redlens.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 232
  • redlens1.jpg
    redlens1.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 196
  • redlens2.jpg
    redlens2.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 204

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I bought the heat knife at Harbor Freight and it works like crap. After 15 minutes I might have removed two sides of the reverse lens, can't tell. In this case it follows the basic rule that you have a 50/50 chance of getting something that will work and last from this place. It's not very hot.