Removing door panels to work on windows...

ECA90049

Reaction score
Have seen some special tools online for removing/working on the upholstery on cars. I need to remove the door panels to get to the windows. Do I need these special tools to do this? Also what comes off first?
Thanks, E

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
No tools needed but a thin plastic trim tool can be used. Unscrew the small screw that holds the plastic chrome piece on top of the arm rest, the 3 screws for the arm rest, and the screw for the door handle, then remove these items. Then pull off the door panel by popping it out of the little plastic fasteners along the perimeter then sliding it down and away from the wood trim. Care is needed here as the plastic fasteners break easily as does the old cardboard panel backing. The 1/4 window crank handle and ash tray can stay where they are. If you don't have a vapor barrier you can make one out of a contractor grade trash bag cut to fit then separated into 2 pieces, one for each door.

coupedegrace

Site Donor
Reaction score
Steve(hose) - I've made replacement vapor barriers in the past, but I've never found the right adhesive to make them stay on very well. What do you suggest for gluing it on the door?

Thanks,
Dan

coupesport

Newish Member
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Steve(hose) - I've made replacement vapor barriers in the past, but I've never found the right adhesive to make them stay on very well. What do you suggest for gluing it on the door?

Thanks,
Dan
16292408879317796252213093835317.jpg

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score

Thanks,
Dan
Umm err I just used thin strips of duct tape. If I were to do it again (or when I do, it's jsut a matter of time), I would use a brushable adhesive on the metal frame then apply the barrier, spraying something seems too messy to me.

coupedegrace

Site Donor
Reaction score
Umm err I just used thin strips of duct tape. If I were to do it again (or when I do, it's jsut a matter of time), I would use a brushable adhesive on the metal frame then apply the barrier, spraying something seems too messy to me.
Well as long as they were thin strips...

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
I know I am a walking advertisement for 3M strip caulk but I run a thin continuous bead on the door and use that to hold the vapor barrier. Not perfect but does allow removal to get to stuff and then reseal. Trash bag as mentioned or paint section at HD or Lowes for 2 or 3 mil plastic sheet.

ECA90049

Reaction score
I've been trying to remove the vent window knob without any success. Does anybody have any tips or techniques for removing this (want to ultimately remove the door panel to work on the window). Thanks, E

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I always remove ashtray as it helps hold the panel tight but I never knew vent knob could stay on! Still learning new tricks I guess.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I start with the machine screw under the chrome sleeve, I line it up first with a narrow punch. I leave it loose and then tackle the two coarse screws also using a punch to get the correct angle. I leave the armrest a bit away from the door card to watch the screw enter the door. I’ve done this a bunch of times and I rate it as one of the more frustrating tasks on a coupe.