Repainted Roundels

wcl4

Site Donor
Reaction score
Repainted my C pillar roundels. For anyone who might have done this in the past, what do you spray on as a protective coat so that they don't get ruined with a car wash, wipe down, cleaning product, etc? I used some spray paint from the auto store for the black and the white and Testors for the blue. The paints seem to dry weirdly when they're mixed and matched like this.

Attachments

• roundels.jpg
    roundels.jpg
    214.2 KB · Views: 199

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I don't know what you should clear coat them with, but you will need to make sure it is compatible with both the spray (likely an acrylic) and the Testors (likely an enamel). But they LOOK GREAT! Nice work!

wcl4

Site Donor
Reaction score
So Testors doesn't seem to take well to coatings aside from their own clear coat which is quite thin. In my quest for roundel nirvana, I tried a new paint today called Rustoleum Sail Blue. Not sure how well you can see it, but on the c pillar jpg, the bottom right blue is the Rustoleum with the top left being the Testors. The hood is what I have as the benchmark. The Rustoleum is a bit redder in value, but is actually closer in shade to my hood roundel, albeit a bit darker. The advantage to the Rustoleum is that there's a clear coat product that hopefully will protect the finish better than the Testors clear coat.

Attachments

• c pillar.jpg
    c pillar.jpg
    268.4 KB · Views: 200
  • hood.jpg
    hood.jpg
    278.7 KB · Views: 183

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Traditionally, clear lacquer was used as a protective coating on many things including brass to keep it from tarnishing.
You would just have to test this on the paint you are using on something other than the Roundels.
Shellac is another protective coating. Hard to find in a really clear form. Usually a little yellow to red.
Clear lacquer is available in spray cans. I think MinWax may make this?

wcl4

Site Donor
Reaction score
I tried the Rustoleum clear enamel coat, and the white took it fine, but the blue curdled! I don't get why paints from the same brand with seemingly the same formula (gloss protective enamel) would not be compatible with each other. *sigh* At least the Rustoleum is considerably harder than the Testors.

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I tried the Rustoleum clear enamel coat, and the white took it fine, but the blue curdled! I don't get why paints from the same brand with seemingly the same formula (gloss protective enamel) would not be compatible with each other. *sigh* At least the Rustoleum is considerably harder than the Testors.
Yes, I hate when that happens. Aaaarrrrrggggg!
Try this. Read what the can says. I know the Dupli-Color paints have a limitation on the repaint time. The time you have to apply more coats. I forgotten and applied more the next day and yuck it turns into a mess and have to start over. Just a thought.

wcl4

Site Donor
Reaction score
It was a good idea. The can is no help. Just says some other lines of paint are not compatible with the clear coat.

wcl4

Site Donor
Reaction score
Well after numerous tries, this is what I ended up with. The sail blue Rustoleum is in the color family in my opinion, and has advantages over the Testors in durability. The original seems more turquoise-like whereas the sail blue is redder but a bit darker than my hood roundel.

Attachments

• 20180204_114250.jpg
    20180204_114250.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 169
  • 20180204_114003.jpg
    20180204_114003.jpg
    286.2 KB · Views: 171

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
have you tried the paint that was previously mentioned on the forum - sign painters' lettering enamel 154-L process blue

wcl4

Site Donor
Reaction score
Is that available in a spray can? One of these days I'll have to invest in an air brush. Damn, I may have to give another go.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
that blue is not correct , but the result is very good, have you been masking once and again for each colour ?
i used the light blue from rustoleum and it is very accurate like the original
nonetheless you can consider it done with that blue too, it looks very nice and you usaloy do not compare one with the others so close

wcl4

Site Donor
Reaction score
Yes each color is masked. It's much more difficult than what I had anticipated because at any given stage, if the tape touches the paint, it can ruin the finish. If the tape does not make a good seal, there could be a bit of overspray. If dust falls on the paint during drying, that causes issues. A lot can go wrong.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Yes each color is masked. It's much more difficult than what I had anticipated because at any given stage, if the tape touches the paint, it can ruin the finish. If the tape does not make a good seal, there could be a bit of overspray. If dust falls on the paint during drying, that causes issues. A lot can go wrong.

been there, done that, yes ;-)

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
have you tried the paint that was previously mentioned on the forum - sign painters' lettering enamel 154-L process blue
i was looking this up and whoever i got this information from has 2 different colors mixed up. 154L is peacock blue and 153L is process blue. has anybody actually repainted their roundel with one of these colors and found a good match?

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Scott, After much trial and error I got one painted to my satisfaction.
I had to mix the blue to get it right. I have "formula" in the paint stuff.
Biggest problem was getting the paint to lay down and be smooth.
Spray with white was ok but had to brush the blue on. There are some tape tricks I can tell you about from my woodworking days.
Finally I went after it with the buffer after is sat for many weeks and cured. That smoothed it out.
There is a guy out there that will refinish but at $250 I turned cheap and was determined to do it myself.
Be glad to show you what I did.
Gary

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
thanks Gary, i am working on a new FAQ post on what to paint on the coupe ... in what color. and this blue was one of the last things. when i searched what i had previously been given i found it was conflicting. so i'm trying to sort it out.

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
thanks Gary, i am working on a new FAQ post on what to paint on the coupe ... in what color. and this blue was one of the last things. when i searched what i had previously been given i found it was conflicting. so i'm trying to sort it out.
There is not one color that is perfect for the blue. Close and unless next to another Roundel you might not notice.

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
There is not one color that is perfect for the blue. Close and unless next to another Roundel you might not notice.

Has anyone just taken a roundel into a commercial auto paint supply and have the match it? They matched my viper green 911 paint to the T and that color is a pain to get right... Just a thought

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
the problem i see is, over the years, the roundel blue has changed. its now a tiny bit of red, creating a purple tinted blue (lilac), previously it had a little bit of yellow in the blue - very slight teal. my old roundels are too worn to use (too little blue left)

here is my curiosity - to somebody with a really good original roundel. how does it match with the blue color in the cloissonne roundel?

e9 - cloisonne.JPG

Last edited: