Repair manuals + where to get torque specs?

Curran 3.0S

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm new here.

I picked up my 1974 E3 back in the summer of 2021, and I've enjoyed the car very much with the little time I've found myself in it. It's had to sit in my garage most of the time I've had it, I've been too busy unfortunately. This is also my first car believe it or not. I've been accumulating a lot of parts over time in hopes I can completely restore it in the future, but right now it needs nothing major. I'm just starting with regular maintenance and little things.

With that being said, I'd like to replace the steering wheel with a nice Nardi one that I bought for it. This stock one is too big and not very good looking, nor is it nice to hold as I drive. They also don't seem to be worth very much, I've seen them on eBay for $50 before which is surprising to me.

Anyway, my main question is where do you guys get torque specs? My car came with the blue binders but they seem to not have all the specs. I'm looking for the steering wheel torque spec and I've skimmed through the manuals, but there doesn't seem to be any torque given for the steering wheel on the page about removing/installing it (image attached). Maybe there isn't a torque? I believe on most cars it is 30 to 50 ft/lbs. I've also attached an image of the nut in question.

Thanks for reading!

Attachments

• 4029295D-704A-4D5E-B0A1-20B00DF539FF.jpg
    4029295D-704A-4D5E-B0A1-20B00DF539FF.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 43
  • 42BE2C0F-8AA5-45FF-9889-9D7C4A3A5C5F.jpg
    42BE2C0F-8AA5-45FF-9889-9D7C4A3A5C5F.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 51

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Nobody uses a torque wrench to tighten a steering wheel nut.
use a 1/2 ratchet and put some oomph into it.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Welcome - you picked a very unusual first car. And, I must say (both because of this and because the very first mod I did to my e9 when I bought it was a Nardi), you have good taste.

The autobooks manual on this page is a great resourse. It has torque specs in the back just before the electrical diagrams: https://e9coupe.com/forum/pages/published-sources/

A word to the wise - This forum is a great place, but you will enjoy it even more when you learn to identify who's who. Since you have met Don, you should know he is a huge asset to this forum. Any time Don answers a question, follow his advice. He does these cars for a living, and contributes his time and expertise here as a way to give back to the community.

Curran 3.0S

Reaction score
Welcome - you picked a very unusual first car. And, I must say (both because of this and because the very first mod I did to my e9 when I bought it was a Nardi), you have good taste.

The autobooks manual on this page is a great resourse. It has torque specs in the back just before the electrical diagrams: https://e9coupe.com/forum/pages/published-sources/

A word to the wise - This forum is a great place, but you will enjoy it even more when you learn to identify who's who. Since you have met Don, you should know he is a huge asset to this forum. Any time Don answers a question, follow his advice. He does these cars for a living, and contributes his time and expertise here as a way to give back to the community.
Thanks for the welcoming. I didn't even know about the E3 until I saw the Craigslist ad, just the E9. I got it just for $6000. The E3 is definitely one of the best deals out there (if not the best) for a fun enthusiast car in my opinion. Even ones in good shape are still cheap.

I will definitely be coming back to this later, it looks like it has everything I will ever need including the steering wheel torque. Hope it doesn't become too bothersome answering the same questions over and over by newbies. Appreciate it.

I'm also looking forward to getting to know you guys. I may not be the most active member to be honest, but I'll drop in here and there, and maybe try to help others eventually too. Thanks again!

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Thanks for the welcoming. I didn't even know about the E3 until I saw the Craigslist ad, just the E9. I got it just for $6000. The E3 is definitely one of the best deals out there (if not the best) for a fun enthusiast car in my opinion. Even ones in good shape are still cheap.

I will definitely be coming back to this later, it looks like it has everything I will ever need including the steering wheel torque. Hope it doesn't become too bothersome answering the same questions over and over by newbies. Appreciate it.

I'm also looking forward to getting to know you guys. I may not be the most active member to be honest, but I'll drop in here and there, and maybe try to help others eventually too. Thanks again!
Many of us here started out asking a lot of questions and try to give back because of all the help we received. Don't be shy about seeking help.