Repro Tail Light Lenses

Would you pay X for a tail light set if it meant you would get it sooner?

• I would not pay more than $275.00 a set

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • I would pay $350.00 a set

Votes: 7 50.0%
  • I would pay $400.00 a set

Votes: 6 42.9%

• Total voters

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
This saga started in January of 2016. It took months of research to find someone willing to make lenses at a reasonable price. Since that time he has made 30 full sets. Some on the early list bought more than one set.
Coupe King bought one set then 5 more. The manufacturer (or should I call him a craftsman?) relates that these are very hard to make due to the many curves involved.

And now my question. I am strongly tempted to offer him more $$ to perhaps incentivize him to put more time into our lenses.
If they cost you $350 plus shipping, how many are interested
If they cost you $400 plus shipping, how many are interested?
I simply do not know how much to offer to get this guy to prioritize E9 lenses....

Your answers are important as I will offer the difference to him and see if that motivated him.

Bejoe16

Reaction score
I would be in for 350$. At the 400$ price point, I might just use my old lenses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i think some people further down on the list would quickly say ... i would pay 400 if it would move me up the list.
just kidding

Gary Waggoner

Site Donor
Reaction score
I would pay 400-500 for perfect new lenses. Rechrome frames and you essentially new tail lights for 1k. Even new NOS will have scratches.

skb

Reaction score
I would pay $500 a set, given the complexity of the shape...

skb

Reaction score
I would pay $500 for new lenses. I trust they are well done, since I've only seen NOS.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I think $400 to $500 seems like an appropriate amount for such a finely crafted set of parts. How far up on the list did I just go? :D

coupeking

Reaction score
Stan-
As beautiful as the lenses were they did not fit for beans. Not usable as is. Huge gaps. Would gladly pay a premium for lenses that fit the chrome snugly. $500 no problem. Would be glad to work with you and supply cores and expertise for this project going forward.

Peter

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Stan-
As beautiful as the lenses were they did not fit for beans. Not usable as is. Huge gaps. Would gladly pay a premium for lenses that fit the chrome snugly. $500 no problem. Would be glad to work with you and supply cores and expertise for this project going forward.

Peter
good to know Peter. I will research alternative producers.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
good to know Peter. I will research alternative producers.
Were there other, more successful experiences with the lenses? I've seen some pics of completed units that appeared quite nice from the photos. :)

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Stan-

Peter
Peter, you and i both had some of the very original production lenses ... and i agree with you. a set that i got later fit VERY well.

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
Likely the market principle applies here; if the current pricing doesn't move the manufacturer, what number will get him moving?

I think it'll be also interesting to know what is holding him back. It may be due to completely different reasons then money; if so, then we're just paying more than needed. Stan, did you ever speak to the guy over the phone and get a chance to get a feel for him? Is he making serious money on other car brand taillights? Is it just a side hobby for him? Is he the hard working self-taught guy entrepreneur just drowning in work?

I find that looking at the e9 as a retirement plan makes things easier; spend as much as you can, even if the markets decline. At least you have had 40 years of fun spending your kids inheretence. Best case it'll sell well and buy you into that top notch retirement home ...

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Retirement plan? You know that charcoal canister under the battery? The one that captures the vapors from the fuel tank?
I told my wife, when I die, cremate me and replace the charcoal with me...
But I digress.
I did communicate with him and he indicated that the labor involved was much more than he had anticipated. I gathered that he would make the mold and an apprentice or worker would produce but the finished product was not right. He needed to remove the lens while still warm then place it on a form he made and sometimes reheat the plastic to get the right shape.

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have used McGuires 105 and 205 which I combined with 3M scratch removal system ( course and fine pad and adapter to fit into your drill chuck) for simple scratches in clear coat in all my cars and it works nicely. I decided to try it on my E9 lenses since they were pretty bad. Have to say, they look damn good. Just something to ponder since I try to salvage everything original in my resto.