Restore or Scrap

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I thought it was the case that all e9's should be saved but I have to say ... yikes. If there is someone here willing to save her - sell.

It is worth attempting to sell. Not to some ambitious kid without a garage. Sadly that won’t end well. The car would need to go to a shop that has done this exact type of restoration before.

Strato102

Site Donor
Reaction score
Gets to a point with some cars where there is no more hidden rust. If you want to check inner rockers or fenders, you just look through many openings. Keep this car in one piece as far as original equipment goes. The wheels are an added bonus and they can go. Same is not true for all the CSI ancillaries, etc. Keep it intact until you decide to part it or sell it.

Klassic

Reaction score
Someone might appreciate getting to restore or build this car into a period racer, / resto mod. Its totally possible to do, so don't be in a big hurry to part out IMO.
If it was where I live (New Zealand), I wouldn't hesitate to grab it and build something worthwhile. If one builds a modified vehicle, then a lot of the parts won't be used, and can be offered up to others for their projects, so you can have your cake and eat it.

Hinemn

Reaction score
Someone might appreciate getting to restore or build this car into a period racer, / resto mod. Its totally possible to do, so don't be in a big hurry to part out IMO.
If it was where I live (New Zealand), I wouldn't hesitate to grab it and build something worthwhile. If one builds a modified vehicle, then a lot of the parts won't be used, and can be offered up to others for their projects, so you can have your cake and eat it.
Thing for me that is so intoxicating about this car is the exterior styling, I can't get enough of it......it's just so sexy from every angle. It pains me to know that one day soon this work of art will be gone forever.
So I had this crazy thought of transplanting the exterior skin of the E9 onto an E36 or E46 cabriolet. Reason for the cabriolet is that the chassis is already reinforced and rigid enough. Yea I know I'm dreaming a crazy dream, however that is where everything starts. lol

Hinemn

Reaction score
I thought it was the case that all e9's should be saved but I have to say ... yikes. If there is someone here willing to save her - sell.
I've been around a block once or twice, just looking at the outside of this car I want to run the other way knowing very well there is so much more below the skin. First step once winter is over here in Ontario Canada.....It's snowing as I type this message my summer car will come off the hoist and the e9 will take its place for a proper assessment. I'm not holding my breath though. lol

Hinemn

Reaction score
Gets to a point with some cars where there is no more hidden rust. If you want to check inner rockers or fenders, you just look through many openings. Keep this car in one piece as far as original equipment goes. The wheels are an added bonus and they can go. Same is not true for all the CSI ancillaries, etc. Keep it intact until you decide to part it or sell it.
Good advise, I'll keep it intact for as long as I can. One thing I know for sure and that is I won't be keeping the car for years like the previous owner unless there is a way to save her.
I have not given up all hope yet though.

Hinemn

Reaction score
It is worth attempting to sell. Not to some ambitious kid without a garage. Sadly that won’t end well. The car would need to go to a shop that has done this exact type of restoration before.
Even if I could justify spending the money to restore the car I'd be hard pressed to find a shop that would take on such a project and even then not that many qualified trades people out there who could do it properly. Nothing worse than shops changing a boat load of money and doing sub par workmanship, I'm sure we have all seen or heard these stories.

Hinemn

Reaction score
Savable if we could get good repop quarters and front fenders
I'm afraid to peel away the rockers for starters. I was surprised the car held together when we winched it onto the trailer, still solid ish.

Hinemn

Reaction score
According to the VIN and the internet there were only 6,506 3.0 CSi models produced, How many can possibly be left in the world? Not that long ago you could get Mercedes 300SL Gull Wing for a song, not comparing the E9 to a Gullwing MB but I agree with you that all E9s should be saved, just gotta find my rich uncle.

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
Just wondering how far you are from the Guild of Automotive Restorers in Bradford, Ontario. He has done everything. I have no experience myself with their work. You may have seen his projects on television. Anyway, could be someone to show what you got, then stand back, listen to him suck that air through his teeth, look away, then try to be polite and tell you what he thinks. Of course we would all like to hear what transpires. Let us know. Mike

Klassic

Reaction score
Thing for me that is so intoxicating about this car is the exterior styling, I can't get enough of it......it's just so sexy from every angle. It pains me to know that one day soon this work of art will be gone forever.
So I had this crazy thought of transplanting the exterior skin of the E9 onto an E36 or E46 cabriolet. Reason for the cabriolet is that the chassis is already reinforced and rigid enough. Yea I know I'm dreaming a crazy dream, however that is where everything starts. lol

If you haven't seen this before, here is an article about taking "the skin" on an e9 and plonking it onto an e39 floor pan/chassis. Someone else was a dreamer......that's where it all starts.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Sometimes "all the kings horses, and all the kings men, couldn't put Humpty Dumpty back together again"...As the eternal optimist, I hate to admit defeat. I'm at the age where I need to limit the number of failures, however. See attached speaker grille entrails...

As an addendum...I sold my very rusty parts car to a younger gentleman, that plans a NASCAR tube frame, an LS2//similar, and a wide body fibreglass kit with appropriate patina'd paint... as a rusty ratrod. (thanks again Afuestal for the tailight) Anyone with Haggerty Insurance, that gets their magazine can read Sam Smith's article in the current issue about him taking a very rusty 2002tii to Ben (Thongsai, I assume...) in Chicago-land to create a tube frame to bolster what's left of that rusty tii. I love antiques and patina, and appreciate their efforts...Cant wait to see my friend's ratrod wide-body, as well. Also see attached...

Attachments

• parts car 1.JPG
    parts car 1.JPG
    177.7 KB · Views: 87
  • also parts car 5.JPG
    also parts car 5.JPG
    72 KB · Views: 95
  • speaker grille compost.JPG
    speaker grille compost.JPG
    53.8 KB · Views: 92
  • Haggerty article 1.jpg
    Haggerty article 1.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 94
  • Haggerty article 2.jpg
    Haggerty article 2.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 96
  • Haggerty article 3.jpg
    Haggerty article 3.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 96

Hinemn

Reaction score

Klassic

Reaction score

Check out this link

Hinemn

Reaction score

Check out this link
I want I want, now I have to figure out how to make it happen.