Reunited My E9 with Original Owner After 26 Years!

Matt Dusig

Reaction score
I recently drove the car over 1000 miles roundtrip, from LA to Chico and back to meet the original owner. The car was reunited with the husband/wife who bought the car in 1974 and sold it in 1993. Here's the car with the SF skyline in the background, at a hotel in Sacramento and original photos of the car with the owners in 1970s. Documentary road trip video to follow in a month or so.

0X5A0221.JPG

0X5A0232.JPG

577645501.835480.jpg

577645464.568777.jpg

0C3C8596-66D4-49B2-BB74-C1319D4998A1.JPG

03E19EF5-34C4-424D-8132-F905E913B56B.JPG

8322106E-04E1-4838-ABCE-06366E6CDCB9.JPG

Last edited:

JamesE30

Reaction score
Wow this is great! The original owner of my car is unknown, but I did track down an owner who sold it in 1987 and got some really amazing stories and information from him. Sadly he did not have any photos to share with me, just some interesting info.
It’s really great you got some original pics as well!

Matt Dusig

Reaction score
Wow this is great! The original owner of my car is unknown, but I did track down an owner who sold it in 1987 and got some really amazing stories and information from him. Sadly he did not have any photos to share with me, just some interesting info.
It’s really great you got some original pics as well!
Yes, I was so excited to see the photos. They also drove the car, with cameras mounted inside and outside, and they reminisced about their 19 years with the car. The footage is outstanding. I know all the owners of my car and have talked to all but one. I know where to find that one, but he's still upset he lost the car to a dealer whom he owed money to.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Wow this is awesome. Those original photos are awesome.

Your car looks great. Thanks for reminding me that I can’t buy my another 14” tire. :D

BTW - The tires are available at Pirelli World in LA for $250 ea.

vince

Site Donor
Reaction score
This is a great story, thanks for posting. I am intrigued in so many ways. First, how old were these guys when they bought your E9? She looks like she could be early twenties, him, maybe thirty? That was a very expensive car for such a young couple. They had great taste in cars, even the color combo. Based on the way they are dressed, you'd think they would be happy with a new Beetle. Look at them now, they look great! She's got to be close to seventy and he's might be 75ish. Plus, they are still together!! Again, just a great story

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Best thread of the month hands down!

Congrats, not only on the detective work, but also the commitment to drive it a thousand miles to reunite it with them! Simply awesome.

[Edit] Not only that, but remarkable photography to go along with it. This is clearly not your first imaging rodeo!

Last edited:

nealf

Reaction score
this is really cool. they look a helluva lot younger than 30 in the original pics...more like 20...