RHD 3.0 CSI with a 2265 vin number

Barry.b

Reaction score
I found this, which may be of interest.

The BMW classic site does seem to confirm no RHD CSI was built before 11/73, so the earlier RHD cars must have been converted.
I had a closer look at this and it actually confirms that there may have been some factory RHD cars built after mid 1972.
So you have a 2265 factory RHD 3.0 CSI
and I have a 2265 factory RHD 3.0 CSI.
So maybe there are a few more survivors out there too that could chime in , that way it would be good to maybe get the records updated to show our 2265 on the list of vin numbers for factory RHD 3.0 CSI’s :)
I have sent an email to Bmw to shed more light on this but they are on holiday until the 10th of January, so maybe after that they will let me know some more info :)

Attachments

• 72F8CF99-59B5-466A-BD92-62A5B5FFFBA1.jpeg
    72F8CF99-59B5-466A-BD92-62A5B5FFFBA1.jpeg
    156.2 KB · Views: 116
  • DDB3085D-00DB-41FF-9ACC-B7FF9F956C94.png
    DDB3085D-00DB-41FF-9ACC-B7FF9F956C94.png
    399.9 KB · Views: 117

day66

Reaction score
I had a quick look through the registry section. It's easy enough to spot the series 2 cars with their 435 prefix, but the RHD 226 cars are harder to identify, but judging by photos and/or descriptions I reckoned 22 were RHD - most in the 2265xxx range but the earliest falling into the 2262xxx range. There may be others, but many register entries give nothing other than a chassis number.

roundel

Reaction score
I think you may have yourself a hybrid....its easy to assume that a big factory like BMW would not produce such a thing but I was very surprised to discover recently that when the E28 5 series was introduced some of the first cars were fitted with the old 3.5 litre engines. I suppose because they had either too many of them or not enough of the `new` 3.4 litre engines.

Barry.b

Reaction score
I think you may have yourself a hybrid....its easy to assume that a big factory like BMW would not produce such a thing but I was very surprised to discover recently that when the E28 5 series was introduced some of the first cars were fitted with the old 3.5 litre engines. I suppose because they had either too many of them or not enough of the `new` 3.4 litre engines.
Ok , I would imagine that today they would get caught up in an emissions dilemma if they tried to put in an older version of an engine .

Barry.b

Reaction score
Build by year means nothing, all 207 RHD CSi are of the same configuration. Yours may be the rarest, surely fewer than 207?
Hi Chris
BMW emailed me today with confirmation that my 2265998 vin number’d 3.0CSI is in fact a factory built RHD car , and it was not converted in the UK.
I am delighted that They got back to me and confirmed this.
So thanks again to all of you for helping me in my investigation , without all of your help I probably would never have gotten to the end of it.
I have attached a copy of the email so that maybe it could be referred to and maybe a note could be added in the FAQ sections to state that late 2265... vin numbers that were previously considered LHD were in fact RHD from the factory.

Attachments

• 51EFBB52-8F20-4606-B270-B49248E97AF6.png
    51EFBB52-8F20-4606-B270-B49248E97AF6.png
    525.1 KB · Views: 111

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hi Chris
BMW emailed me today with confirmation that my 2265998 vin number’d 3.0CSI is in fact a factory built RHD car , and it was not converted in the UK.
So thanks again to all of you for helping me in my investigation , without all of your help I probably would never have gotten to the end of it.
I have attached a copy of the email so that maybe it could be referred to and maybe a note could be added in the FAQ sections to state that late 2265... vin numbers that were previously considered LHD were in fact RHD from the factory.
That is awesome, the Archive came through! I am assuming their records don’t say RHD but who cares.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Chris

Very Cool!

Barry.b

Reaction score
That is awesome, the Archive came through! I am assuming their records don’t say RHD but who cares.
I know
The Archive is a great facility for all of us .
My car was registered for the first time in 1974 and I was born in 1974 , so it is really cool that I have managed to solve a question as it’s as old as myself and actually was caused before I was even born :) :)

sandhu

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hi Chris

What email address did you use get this info ?
I would like to get some info on a csi