RHD CSL Steering box conversion

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I'm about to start in earnest on my CSL restoration. After taking counsel from @Keshav I'd like to swap out the power steering box for a manual one. The thinking is it replicates what a CSL should be as opposed to 'City Pack.'

My question is does a RHD CSL box manual box exist if they all came with factory power steering?
I've had the suggestion made that e12's carry a manual box that can be bolted on.
Has anybody had any experience with this or have any relevant advice.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Check with @30csl. He installed one. Maybe he can say where he got it. Also, check with @roundel. Per the ad below he has a number of racing parts.

https://racecarsdirect.com/Advert/Details/101887/bmw-csl-race-parts

My CSL box arrived this morning. My gosh they don't weigh a thing!

Remove and fitting of steering wheel shaft cf. 32 31 070.
Grooves have been cut into the bottom of the serration section so as to avoid
the steering wheel shafts being confused.
No groove = ZF Gemmer steering (left-hand steering)
One groove = ZF hydraulic power steering (left-hand)
Two grooves = ZF Gemmer steering (right-hand)
Three grooves = ZF hydraulic power steering (right-hand)

Keep in mind that you will need the lower steering shaft also.
31071001_z.jpg

Take a look at this. I can't see the grooves but it sure looks long:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-1968-1974-E9-Coupe-3-0CS-2800CS-Lower-Steering-Column-U-Joint-Linkage-OEM/223065496575

Last edited:

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
My question is does a RHD CSL box manual box exist if they all came with factory power steering

W/N had them for sale till a couple of years back and yes, they do exist (I got one for a member not so long ago). I know of a brand new E12 box if it infact fits into a RHD car? Never heard of that before but..... and as Markos points out, the shaft too.

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
W/N had them for sale till a couple of years back and yes, they do exist (I got one for a member not so long ago). I know of a brand new E12 box if it infact fits into a RHD car? Never heard of that before but..... and as Markos points out, the shaft too.

The e12 angle could be interesting. Will ping those 2 a message.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
When I install those I remember having the existing shaft lengthened if the manual shaft isn’t available.

Be sure to look up shaft lengthening procedures on your cell phone not your work computer. Just sayin...

dj_efk

Reaction score
My 2800cs came equipped with manual steering - were the CSL manual ones different?

The steering on mine is very heavy so wondered about converting to power assisted!

Rek

Reaction score
Jaymic over here had a reconditioned one for sale. I don't know what model it was for and I don't think it was advertised but worth a call.

Wladek

Reaction score
Check with @30csl. He installed one. Maybe he can say where he got it. Also, check with @roundel. Per the ad below he has a number of racing parts.

https://racecarsdirect.com/Advert/Details/101887/bmw-csl-race-parts

My CSL box arrived this morning. My gosh they don't weigh a thing!

Remove and fitting of steering wheel shaft cf. 32 31 070.
Grooves have been cut into the bottom of the serration section so as to avoid
the steering wheel shafts being confused.
No groove = ZF Gemmer steering (left-hand steering)
One groove = ZF hydraulic power steering (left-hand)
Two grooves = ZF Gemmer steering (right-hand)
Three grooves = ZF hydraulic power steering (right-hand)

Keep in mind that you will need the lower steering shaft also.
31071001_z.jpg

Take a look at this. I can't see the grooves but it sure looks long:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-1968-1974-E9-Coupe-3-0CS-2800CS-Lower-Steering-Column-U-Joint-Linkage-OEM/223065496575
I'm not so sure with that grooves, take a look at my photo's of three different shafts, all three where from left-hand cars with hydraulic ZF & all three have three grooves on them.
A whole different thing is that three grooves shaft on your photo, look way different if compare to shafts from my photo's.:confused:
s-l1600 (4).jpg
DSC05119.JPG
3214.jpg

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Not sure. That photo and text is from the blue book. The three grove shaft looks different because it is a RHD shaft. RHD cars have a collapsible section. I’ll revisit the blue book page to ensure that I didn’t screw it up. I don’t think that any non-uk cars had a collapsible section (not talking about 74 adjustable).

I'm not so sure with that grooves, take a look at my photo's of three different shafts, all three where from left-hand cars with hydraulic ZF & all three have three grooves on them.
A whole different thing is that three grooves shaft on your photo, look way different if compare to shafts from my photo's.:confused:
View attachment 62948 View attachment 62949 View attachment 62950

Wladek

Reaction score
Not sure. That photo and text is from the blue book. The three grove shaft looks different because it is a RHD shaft. RHD cars have a collapsible section. I’ll revisit the blue book page to ensure that I didn’t screw it up. I don’t think that any non-uk cars had a collapsible section (not talking about 74 adjustable).
The problem with blue books is that most of the repair examples/instructions are showed on E3. And according to realoem catalogue E9 shaft from non-adjustable steering column are only for E9. With adjustable steering column E9/E3 are indeed interchangable.
32 31 1 107 706 - non-adjustable
32 31 1 111 965 - adjustable

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
The problem with blue books is that most of the repair examples/instructions are showed on E3. And according to realoem catalogue E9 shaft from non-adjustable steering column are only for E9. With adjustable steering column E9/E3 are indeed interchangable.
32 31 1 107 706 - non-adjustable
32 31 1 111 965 - adjustable

That was my hypothesis on interchangeability. The e3 shaft looks longer but I haven’t found one free yet. If it is long enough I can have it resplined.

30csl

Site Donor
Reaction score
Yes i did this - I chose to lengthen the existing steering shaft - the extra length needed was found in a thread on this forum somewhere. I think it is a great mod for a RHD csl.