RHD E9 Auction - the results are in

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
(Also curious as I just bought a genuine rear CSL spoiler which has the roundel, so maybe I should delete that? Any advice?)

Hi Mal,
I’m quite sure that all of them had the BMW emblem on them however yours is surely the wrong one/ size.
The correct ones are 71mm (not obtainable) but there are other close ones in 70mm.
Here’s a pic of the original part# ending with 500 and part# for an 70mm emblem from a 2002! Still available.
I would say that since the emblems part# is specifically for the rear spoiler, that’s enough proof that the emblem was on every spoiler originally. As always, subject to opinions.

Attachments

• FC2DF37F-C660-4EE1-A26F-0E0297EE25CB.jpeg
    FC2DF37F-C660-4EE1-A26F-0E0297EE25CB.jpeg
    176.4 KB · Views: 105
  • E3093D98-A019-4809-B1F6-6CBC958C0FCE.jpeg
    E3093D98-A019-4809-B1F6-6CBC958C0FCE.jpeg
    224.3 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:

damienh

Reaction score
It's definitely the wrong reg for a car that shouldn't be driven in the rain. The plate is certainly worth a few thousand. It was probably bought by that Pimlico Plumbers guy...

https://www.pimlicoplumbers.com/about-us/corporate-identity/number-plates

Michael, I had a look at a car recently that may be of interest, it's being sold by a very nice and genuine guy called Don who may well be a member of the forum. He's based near Heathrow. Although it is very nicely painted Turkis, it isn't the original colour unfortunately, and it isn't perfect, but I liked it a lot. It is a CSi.

You may well have seen it, but I'll try to find the advert if not.

Cheers,

Damien

Marco 54

Site Donor $
Reaction score
How does the personal plates thing work in Britain? How can a plate be worth a few thousand? That seems incredible...

In UK many people like to 'personalise' their car by way of an appropriate (sometimes inappropriate) car number.
The right to use a registration number is authorised by Government (the DVLA - Driver and Vehicle licensing Agency).
Some registration numbers are sold by private dealers and others by the DVLA - see https://dvlaregistrations.dvla.gov.uk/

A well known comedian, Jimmy Tarbuck, has the number 'COM 1C' and a 'glamour model' from the 70s, Fiona Richmond had 'FU2'.
The market is huge.

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The state of Delaware has license plates that date to probably the 20's and 30's, and can be renewed annually and changed to a different car and even different owner. Some of these plates (which are in a distinctive white numerals on black metal) with single and up to three or four digits are occasionally sold and the lower number digits can cost well into the tens of thousands of dollars to purchase. I travel into DE once a week, and I will probably see one of these black/white plates every 3-4 months.

Don't know of any that have gotten to 6 digits yet, but maybe when a number 3 through 9 etc. becomes available, it could be a possibility.

Gary

Mal CSL 3.0

Site Donor
Reaction score
We also have historic numbered white on black registration plates that can still be renewed/displayed annually.

In 2017 NSW number “4” sold at auction in Australia for Aus$2.45 million. The same purchaser also owns NSW “2” (which is on his Ferrari) which is estimated to be worth Aus$3+ million.

Also VIC “911” sold for $525k at auction last Oct.

Massive prices paid regularly for low digit plates down under...I still can’t figure out why tbh, but each to their own.

mr bump

Reaction score
71k for a car that's in need of panel work to the bootlid, both doors, full engine overhaul and a new interior?
Looks like the restorer has let new metal in on the bottom of the doors and they are too short, hence why they have dropped the doors to close the gap at the bottom and in turn has ruined the waistline trim line. Plus the boot lid.............that's really poor. Yes, paint may look good, but how many nights have been spent where you go to bed with marilyn monroe and you wake up with post face lift donatella Versace? It makes me wonder, that if they think the panel work is great, what other horrors are hidden by the paint job. It's a shame as it would have made a nice car with a little more skill and thought had gone in to it.

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
In UK many people like to 'personalise' their car by way of an appropriate (sometimes inappropriate) car number.
The right to use a registration number is authorised by Government (the DVLA - Driver and Vehicle licensing Agency).
Some registration numbers are sold by private dealers and others by the DVLA - see https://dvlaregistrations.dvla.gov.uk/

A well known comedian, Jimmy Tarbuck, has the number 'COM 1C' and a 'glamour model' from the 70s, Fiona Richmond had 'FU2'.
The market is huge.

We also have historic numbered white on black registration plates that can still be renewed/displayed annually.

In 2017 NSW number “4” sold at auction in Australia for Aus$2.45 million. The same purchaser also owns NSW “2” (which is on his Ferrari) which is estimated to be worth Aus$3+ million.

Also VIC “911” sold for $525k at auction last Oct.

Massive prices paid regularly for low digit plates down under...I still can’t figure out why tbh, but each to their own.
Thank you for those explanations. Maybe I have not been paying attention to this specific underworld, but over here, personalized plates are no big deal. If the one you want is available, you pay the $50 to the Department of Motor Vehicles. If not, you get something else. But there could be more to the story that I am not aware of.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Thank you for those explanations. Maybe I have not been paying attention to this specific underworld, but over here, personalized plates are no big deal. If the one you want is available, you pay the $50 to the Department of Motor Vehicles. If not, you get something else. But there could be more to the story that I am not aware of.
Doesn't anyone wonder or care who bled out on the passenger seat?

Rek

Reaction score
How does the personal plates thing work in Britain? How can a plate be worth a few thousand? That seems incredible...

Supply and demand - to get the plate off the car it needs to pass the MOT test which means being roadworthy. I bought my car for £3,000 with a plate valued at £5,000. Because the car was rusty then the value couldn't be realised, at least not without considerable expense. That put off the usual buyers but I was looking for a car to restore. I was fair with the seller in that I said I would ay the extra £2,000 for the plate value if I could get the car through an MOT for less than £8,000 in extra costs.

That amount was surpassed very quickly so I got a bargain - it's just that my wife doesn't see it that way.

Michael Kaye

Site Donor
Reaction score
Too much money floating around the UK -- or else too few rhd's.

Not sure there is that much money floating around the UK…but in my opinion this car sold for the price it did for two main reasons:

1. It looked pretty (rare colour), and looked solid (although I've pointed out it's flaws)
2. But most importantly it went for as much as it did as there were two buyers who wanted it and the price was bid up (this is the nature and problem of auctions. Another day it might not have sold at all).

I was partly responsible for bidding it up myself…I had a limit and "saw off" the room at £42K, but other telephone bidders really wanted the car and were willing to pay.

As I've said before I think it was around £15/£20K over it's true price.