Rhode Island Coupe Outing

m_thompson

Reaction score
Last Sunday all of the Coupe owners in Rhode Island went for a drive in the Providence area before we put our toys away for the winter. They are all '72 and '73 US versions of the 3.0CS, and are all quite different in the details.

RI-Coupes.jpg

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Great ensemble of 'blue' coupes. Also a cool comparison between 5 chrome vs 5 black slat kidney's.
Both versions look wunderbar.

m_thompson

Reaction score
Great ensemble of 'blue' coupes. Also a cool comparison between 5 chrome vs 5 black slat kidney's.
Both versions look wunderbar.

The amount of differences between the coupes was surprising considering that they were all made within two years of each other and are all US models.

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The amount of differences between the coupes was surprising considering that they were all made within two years of each other and are all US models.

Would be interesting to hear about your findings, specially since they all US export cars and before the facelift.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The only visible difference should be the 73 bumpers and any dealer installed antennas. The 72/73 coupes all got the same driver side mirror and polished kidney grille.

m_thompson

Reaction score
The only visible difference should be the 73 bumpers and any dealer installed antennas. The 72/73 coupes all got the same driver side mirror and polished kidney grille.
There are two different heater controls, 2 have one style, 2 have the other.
The one on the left has a '72 VIN and '73 bumpers.
The '72 and one of the '73s has license plate lights in the bumper. One of the '73s has plate lights on the body. One of the '73s has plate lights on the body and in the bumper, but the ones in the bumper are not wired.
Two of the '73s have one style of headrest, the 72 and one of the '73s have a different style of headrest.
The location and type of the stickers near the engine are different.
I am sure that I could find other differences.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I thought you meant factory differences. All 72s have bumper mounted license lights, in 73 these moved to the tail panel with plastic covers on the bumper, when these get lost owners inserted lights into the bumper as well. Not sure when headrests changed from the rounded to peaked style, I thought this was 72 but not sure.

m_thompson

Reaction score
I thought you meant factory differences. All 72s have bumper mounted license lights, in 73 these moved to the tail panel with plastic covers on the bumper, when these get lost owners inserted lights into the bumper as well. Not sure when headrests changed from the rounded to peaked style, I thought this was 72 but not sure.

I have seen five '73 Coupes with both license plate lights installed. Seems like losing the plastic covers is common...