Roundel cover photo of Bmws new swollen marshmallow

Oldbmwcoupes

Reaction score
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. However, I’d like to think that most of us generally agree what good looking is and what it isn’t. I’ll use the Mona Lisa and an example. Most of us agree that she is no real beauty, at least not a beauty for our time. Yet, it’s one of the most recognized paintings in the western world. Well guess what I think about it- not much. The craftsman ship in the strokes may be great, the composition might be correct for that time period. However, it’s always been a painting of something I just didn’t want to look at.
The swollen marshmallow of an over bloated suv thing carrying a roundel on the front is quite similar to the Mona Lisa to me. It’s ugly, really damned ugly. I see no pleasing lines, no single guiding design. Fake, faux and phonie grills and slats made of plastic. This is a car worthy of crushing once it’s short life span and rapid depreciation has been used up. An ugly and forgettable car by my standards. I’m hoping that it never is labeled and kept around to haunt our drives, as the Mona Lisa has been.
I’m sure it’s all perfect and ergonomic and technically better in its brush strokes and composition. However, if bmw gave me one (doubt they will based on this little writ) I would soon dispose of it, and quickly replace it with something I’d want to look back at as I walked away.
7B3128D1-56BD-47D4-B7C4-6AD25C7C54DE.jpeg

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
The swollen marshmallow of an over bloated suv thing carrying a roundel on the front is quite similar to the Mona Lisa to me. It’s ugly, really damned ugly. I see no pleasing lines, no single guiding design. Fake, faux and phonie grills and slats made of plastic. This is a car worthy of crushing once it’s short life span and rapid depreciation has been used up. An ugly and forgettable car by my standards. I’m hoping that it never is labeled and kept around to haunt our drives,
Other than that is it OK?

;)

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I can remember people complaining about how bad the e36 looked when they came out. Perhaps it wasn't so much that the 36 looked crap it was just that lots of people had a soft spot for the e30 and were expecting an evolution (rather than a departure) from that design.

Now people love e36s and collect them. You could say the same about the e24s that followed the e9. A well turned out 24 looks great. Park an e9 next to it and it looks crap - just my opinion.

Not saying for a second this car will end up with the same following but it wouldn't be the first ugly car to develop a fan base.

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Regarding the E36s loved them when they came to the US in early 1994.

I have owned my 1997 M3 since December 21st 2001. Bought it with 36K miles & has 102675 now. It’s a fully Dinan modified to stage 3 software, exhaust, strut brace, intake, throttle body & suspension. It is the best car I have ever owned. It looks like it came out of the showroom last week.

Though it does everything well, it’s not an enthusiast BMW to me. The 1600 Cabriolet, 2002 Tii, Coupe, M5 & X3 cover that. Compared to the Z4 Coupe the M3 is like a very fast truck.

BMW Pete

Site Donor
Reaction score
Ok, time to put on the hard hat, say my piece and then duck behind the parapet - as such, I will say goodbye here at the start :)

I have loved the new grills from day one, yes, I said it, day one, and have tried to defend them to anybody who would listen, many times needing that hard hat and a very wide parapet

As a guy who loves art as much as he loves automobiles, a fellow passionate car nut who thinks the E9 is one of the most gorgeous cars, it certainly holds its own against any four seater coupe from any era, I love what BMW are doing.

Now of course I dont like all the plastic and expensive replacements for what we all used to think was wear and tear items, especially batteries being a particular pet hate.

But for me, so often BMW come out with something brave and revolutionary, 507, Z1, Z8, M1, I8, E30 M3, M5, CSL, etc, some sold and some just didn't, including our our CSL (way too expensive when new). Even the Bangle Butt, which was copied by so many manufactures after, yet, how it was introduced to the public meant it was destined for failure, but aesthetically its seems many other "designers" thought Bangle had something right.

I love that BMW are being brave, breaking from their recent tradition and for the first time for a loooong time, I am tempted to buy a new car. This from somebody who after selling my M6 Convertible said I would never ever buy another car that needs a damn computer to tune the battery.

Remember guys and gals, generally we are not the audience for new music, new fashion and or new looks, remember when we promised ourselves to not turn into the "get of my lawn" geezer brigade? Well, if we want to keep the hobby alive, especially our little niche of the hobby, we need youngsters to find the passion and these cars are made for (generally) a different car buying audience than us old farts (generalization for you youngsters on here)

Hat is on and I have ducked :)

Last edited:

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I agree that this particular BMW is really ugly, but then again BMW had to accommodate a huge and ever expanding set of requirements that limit the range of design alternatives. Consider, for example, the rules that dictate very high hood heights. How can you desing an attractive car when the hood is chest high?

JMinPDX

Site Donor
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Tall hood and long grill. Never seen that on a BMW before!
So under that tall hood there is no “frunk”. There are “vehicle systems” that are only accessible by dealer service departments. Less moving parts under there anyway I guess. The front roundel does pop open to allow owners to add washer fluid. The thing is growing on me. No, really. I used to hate the front look of 2000cs now I think they’re great.

I like this young lady better than that DeMuro fella.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
So under that tall hood there is no “frunk”. There are “vehicle systems” that are only accessible by dealer service departments...
What is a dealer service department?
I own four BMWs and I have never dealt with one. I have dealt with parts department at times.