Roundel cover photo of Bmws new swollen marshmallow

JMinPDX

Site Donor
Site Donor $
Reaction score
What is a dealer service department?
I own four BMWs and I have never dealt with one. I have dealt with parts department at times.
It’s the place where I took my e46 when it had a recall for the Takata airbag. They replaced free. When a recall was issued for the passenger airbag they replaced that one free as well only that time they came to my house and did it in my driveway. :)

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
It looks like it is about pounce and devour. Menacing, scary. That guy in the black better not get too close.

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
I agree that this particular BMW is really ugly, but then again BMW had to accommodate a huge and ever expanding set of requirements that limit the range of design alternatives. Consider, for example, the rules that dictate very high hood heights. How can you desing an attractive car when the hood is chest high?
Chris--Why do the new vehicles have to have tall hoods? Is that just for SUV types?--Drew

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Background info:

"A voluntary agreement proposed by European automotive manufacturers stipulates that all new car types introduced after 2010 should comply with EEVC pedestrian safety test requirements. The New Car Assessment Programs (NCAP) in many parts of the world have already been performing these tests and making the results available to consumers." https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1123098/

More recent article here: https://www.hotcars.com/why-pedestrian-safety-ruining-car-design/

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Background info:

"A voluntary agreement proposed by European automotive manufacturers stipulates that all new car types introduced after 2010 should comply with EEVC pedestrian safety test requirements. The New Car Assessment Programs (NCAP) in many parts of the world have already been performing these tests and making the results available to consumers." https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1123098/

More recent article here: https://www.hotcars.com/why-pedestrian-safety-ruining-car-design/
"...for example, the rules that dictate very high hood heights. "

i'm having a hard time finding anything in the articles about rules dictating very high hood heights. There are plenty of new cars with very LOW hood heights. Even SUVs like Tesla's X and Y.

In fact from the above article...
From 2009 to 2018, new vehicle sales of light trucks and SUVs increased from 48 percent to 69 percent, contributing to the increase in pedestrian accidents. The study also shows the fatality rate for pedestrians struck by a large SUV is twice the rate of those hit by a car.

The SUV design with its larger body and taller carriage poses a greater risk to pedestrians and increases the probability of deadly blows to the torso.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
From the first article I cited: "Since the bonnet surface is made from sheet metal, it is a relatively compliant structure and does not, by itself, pose a major risk for severe head trauma. However, serious head injury can occur when the head hits a region of the bonnet with stiff underlying structures such as engine components. The solution is to provide sufficient clearance (greater than 10 cm) between the bonnet and underlying structures for controlled deceleration of a pedestrian's head."

Teslas engine components are configured differently in camparison to vehicles with internal combustion engines, which is why they can produce vehicles with low slung hoods.

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
From the first article I cited: "Since the bonnet surface is made from sheet metal, it is a relatively compliant structure and does not, by itself, pose a major risk for severe head trauma. However, serious head injury can occur when the head hits a region of the bonnet with stiff underlying structures such as engine components. The solution is to provide sufficient clearance (greater than 10 cm) between the bonnet and underlying structures for controlled deceleration of a pedestrian's head."

Teslas engine components are configured differently in camparison to vehicles with internal combustion engines, which is why they can produce vehicles with low slung hoods.
Their idea (not a rule) is not to raise hood heights, but rather...

"The solution is to provide sufficient clearance (greater than 10 cm) between the bonnet and underlying structures for controlled deceleration of a pedestrian's head. However, considerations of aerodynamic design and styling can make it extremely difficult to alter a vehicle's front end geometry to provide more under-bonnet space. Active safety systems, such as pyrotechnic devices that rapidly raise the bonnet in a crash (fig (fig4),4), can provide the necessary deceleration space during an impact while maintaining traditional bonnet geometry during normal operation of the vehicle."

I would think the iX's engine components would be configured similar to the Tesla's and allow a much lower hood. I hate to think how much range the iX is giving up pushing that barn door through the air. o_O

I do believe that the high hood, massive front end, and big grill with no radiator to cool (in the iX) is all about what BMW (and others) view as styling that will sell vehicles. It must work, or they would try something else.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Their idea (not a rule) is not to raise hood heights, but rather...

"The solution is to provide sufficient clearance (greater than 10 cm) between the bonnet and underlying structures for controlled deceleration of a pedestrian's head. However, considerations of aerodynamic design and styling can make it extremely difficult to alter a vehicle's front end geometry to provide more under-bonnet space. Active safety systems, such as pyrotechnic devices that rapidly raise the bonnet in a crash (fig (fig4),4), can provide the necessary deceleration space during an impact while maintaining traditional bonnet geometry during normal operation of the vehicle."

I would think the iX's engine components would be configured similar to the Tesla's and allow a much lower hood. I hate to think how much range the iX is giving up pushing that barn door through the air. o_O

I do believe that the high hood, massive front end, and big grill with no radiator to cool (in the iX) is all about what BMW (and others) view as styling that will sell vehicles. It must work, or they would try something else.
Yes, if we want to get hyper technical, you will not find a rule because there is no pedestrian safety rule applicable to vehicles sold in the US. The portion of the FMVSS that is to be entitled "pedestrian safety" is reserved. See 49 CFR § 571.215.

Rather, the US new car assessment program is implemented in conjunction with a dozen similar national NCAPs, in something called the global NCAP. As part of the global NCAP, the UN has a detailed set of testing requirements related to pedestrian safety (UN Reg 127/GTR9) that have been adopted to harmonize vehicle requirements worldwide. These requirements are being driven primarily by Japanese and European interests, although the US insurance industry (through the IIHS) also participates.

Accordingly, these requirements are being implemented through the NHSTA and IIHS vehicle safety ratings we see associated with vehicles offered for sale in the US.

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Well, the pictures of the front end of this 'electrical appliance ' posted by Markos and Bmachine makes it look better than those pix without a front license plate. Must be because the license plate draws the eyes to it and the width rather than the overall 'look' of the grill itself. YMMV!

Last edited:

coupedegrace

Site Donor
Reaction score
Old tech. The e9 first introduced a similar design that rapidly releases the windshield wipers on the highway. :D
Upon further consideration the engineers at BMW realized this technique was really a wash (but not a wipe) as the reduction in kinetic energy from the ejection process was offset by the slightly higher speeds owing to the reduced aerodynamic drag.

Klassic

Reaction score
1657827707339.png

Clearly BMW subscribed to the concept of referring back to nature for inspiration on their latest......