Rubber Block to hold rear quarter sill chrome

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
All 24 we made have been spoken for, I will contact everyone with payment info and request shipping addresses. I will not mail until the week of 19 July as we are going camping next week and I still need to pick them up. Edit: Conversations sent!

Chris

Last edited:

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
If you do another run, I'm in for a pair. Not sure if I have the originals or not, but for $20, I won't bother looking through the shelves. Thank you!

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I have more and will pick them up tomorrow, I will send Conversations to Stan, adkfrank, autokunst, stevehose and Ohmess shortly. Prior orders will mail tomorrow as well.

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
you put the block on the edge of metal, a transverse screw holds the block to the car, the fwd-aft screw holds the chrome trim to the block
The transverse screw is machine threaded. The fwd-aft screw is a sheet metal screw that screws into the plastic block. My car was jerry-rigged with alum. strips that held on the chrome outer "hockey stick". The tech that worked for the Werke Shop saw the missing blocks and told me how to correct the assembly when he adjusted the rear quarter windows. Here's a pic of the missing block on the driver side with the alum strip wallowed out by the fwd-aft screw.

IMG_2776.jpg

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
The experts have spoken!! When you look at my pic, you can see the transverse hole is thicker than the rest of the metal. I actually broke off a sheet metal screw on the passenger side. I then used an M4 tap to clean the threads for the machine screw. That's my car. I wanted others to know to carefully look at their metal hole before attempting to screw on the plastic block. This all goes with the fact that almost every car on the Forum is not owned by the original owner. I would be curious to know if any E9 is still with the original owner. Things were done to these cars 30-40 years ago when they were just old cars by amateurs and professional mechanics that had no internet or YouTube as guidance. And who knows what was done to keep them running? All of the things done on my '72 2002 were done by me with the help of the blue shop manual,the shop parts book, and those monthly "Roundels" from the BMWCCA. I'm sure the E9's have lots of things done back then that were not up to the REAL OEM standards of today.

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
The experts have spoken!! When you look at my pic, you can see the transverse hole is thicker than the rest of the metal. I actually broke off a sheet metal screw on the passenger side. I then used an M4 tap to clean the threads for the machine screw. That's my car. I wanted others to know to carefully look at their metal hole before attempting to screw on the plastic block. This all goes with the fact that almost every car on the Forum is not owned by the original owner. I would be curious to know if any E9 is still with the original owner. Things were done to these cars 30-40 years ago when they were just old cars by amateurs and professional mechanics that had no internet or YouTube as guidance. And who knows what was done to keep them running? All of the things done on my '72 2002 were done by me with the help of the blue shop manual,the shop parts book, and those monthly "Roundels" from the BMWCCA. I'm sure the E9's have lots of things done back then that were not up to the REAL OEM standards of today.
your photo does make it look like it should be a machine screw, also makes sense as the block is reversible, if the hole for the screw was the same size on both sides a sheet metal screw would not work too well, E9 minutia at its finest!

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
All blocks have been mailed today, I have a few left. The originals are not reversible, mine are, you have to drill a hole for the chrome trim screws on mine. They mount to the body with a sheet metal screw.

Last edited:

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
I think the original were reversible, a couple years ago when I was putting my trim back on, I couldn't find one so modeled and printed them, looking closely at the one original I had, there is a boss for the longitudinal screw on both ends
In the parts diagram, there are 2 part numbers, but for each it says 2 required, so I think one was a supersede of the other