Rubber Washers for Side Window

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
# 3 and 4 are NLA. I just took my door apart and there was nothing there but the bolt/nut. Assume a simple alternative exists to these? I can hunt down rubber washers but composition and thickness are probably important.
Screen shot 2019-03-31 at 12.48.20 PM.png

Koopman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I have a bunch of rubber washers but not sure what you need. I can send them all to you and take what you need and return what is left. I think they are new. I will need your address.

Thanks

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
# 3 and 4 are NLA. I just took my door apart and there was nothing there but the bolt/nut. Assume a simple alternative exists to these? I can hunt down rubber washers but composition and thickness are probably important. View attachment 62518

dear Bob,

not anything will be usable, please lets be more precise, 3 is plastic, 4 is rubber

it is most important to use number 3 as it is a way to ensure that you will not break the glass, a piece of hard plastic tube of a similar size will do, i did use a tube and cut it to the size, just the thickness of the glass +2mm

a similar tube goes in the front holes too, here in this pic you can see them in transparent plastic, original on top, replacement in bottom
86435E78-3EA1-4A95-84BC-E4D58B0BEB53.jpeg

check my thread on the topic,
https://e9coupe.com/forum/threads/r...bbers-clean-and-regrease-of-mechanisms.13485/

as to the washers they are pretty wide, see them here, the tubes are already in place in the glass

3485842C-B7EF-4D8E-906F-A1FA73550231.jpeg
A92AE6AC-B017-46D8-B4C7-F09B9B0E354F.jpeg
07F67C47-C697-45FF-98B3-EEB068380E14.jpeg
A754E7AD-4EC1-4DA4-85D2-E0C23382155B.jpeg
14188941-A57F-4F43-9C72-F4A03425EAA4.jpeg

if you can not find i can prepare a set for you, but i will need the dimension of the holes.

Last edited:

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
deQ, yes I was going to do something similar to ensure I did not break the glass, some form of grommet. I need the rubber washers themselves, diameter and thickness and material.

Reading the entire (awesome) post, I am also missing the guide sleeves on the door lock mechanism that connect the rods to the door button and release handle under the armrest.

I also have the spring retaining bolt almost ready to die, found the window spring in the bottom of the door well. Did you fabricate the repair piece?

Finally, I know the door chrome bits are NLA but did any come with only the short chrome piece and not the longer piece that goes across the top of the map pocket? I see no holes in my vinyl (knowing they are quite small, having removed the upper one to restore). Many Many Thanks.

jmackro

Reaction score
I need the rubber washers themselves, diameter and thickness and material.

Your local TruValue hardware store carries neoprene washers in a variety of sizes. No, I'm not certain that these will have the exact same durometer rating as the originals used by BMW 50 years ago, but then, who knows the specs of the original parts?

If you really want to geek out on this, McMaster Carr carries a bewildering assortment of rubber washers, of various sizes and materials. But whether these will make your windows go up and down better than the TruValue washers is doubtful.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
deQ, yes I was going to do something similar to ensure I did not break the glass, some form of grommet. I need the rubber washers themselves, diameter and thickness and material.

Reading the entire (awesome) post, I am also missing the guide sleeves on the door lock mechanism that connect the rods to the door button and release handle under the armrest.

I also have the spring retaining bolt almost ready to die, found the window spring in the bottom of the door well. Did you fabricate the repair piece?

Finally, I know the door chrome bits are NLA but did any come with only the short chrome piece and not the longer piece that goes across the top of the map pocket? I see no holes in my vinyl (knowing they are quite small, having removed the upper one to restore). Many Many Thanks.

not sure how can i help, i can not identify the parts that you mention

sorry for not being more proactive, preparing a conference for this friday and a workshop that will have to chair next week
feel free to contact by email
regards