Rust on sunroof roof

Pflyer

Reaction score
Rust around perimeter of sunroof. Past owner painted over poorly repaired area. Fabricator said he can repair with or without sunroof. As I rarely use a sunroof on any car, unless someone says otherwise, I’m ridding the sunroof. Not really worried about authenticity, more about having a dairy driver. World upholstery has been contacted about headliner replacement and am waiting for a reply. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
IMG_1150.jpeg
IMG_1151.jpeg
IMG_1167.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1169.jpeg
    IMG_1169.jpeg
    248.6 KB · Views: 53

Pflyer

Reaction score
Thanks Chris, I will. Does anyone have pictures of a non-sunroof headliner installation? IE, with the rods.

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Mine came from Charleston, and had bubbles where you have repairs...so we cut the pillars, and swapped a slick top...I was told at the time that the sunroof rust wasn't treatable (not really true..), but this would be less money. Best of luck with the repairs...where are you in NC/who is doing the bodywork, etc, if I might be so nosy?

Pflyer

Reaction score
You're not nosey. PH Fabrication, in Belton, SC. He was recommended by GTM and Son of Greer, SC. My car is in Columbus, NC, not far from Landrum SC.

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Great to have you on the forum...there's a few of us in NC...Amy Lester "next door" in Nebo, NC, I sold my other (project) coupe to a friend who's also in Morganton, at least one in CLT, a couple in the triad, and maybe still one in Wilmington...another friend in Raleigh just sold two in the last couple of years, and another friend in Hickory sold his maybe a year and a half ago....hope to meet you sometime.
Regards,
Dave

Pflyer

Reaction score
Thanks Dave. This is my third CS, dating back to the early 80's. My 9th BMW. '68 1800, '74 2002, 2 CS', '78 euro 635csi, '82 633csi, '95 M3, '95 850i and this '74 3.0csa. BTW, do you know anyone that can make an extra ignition key? I only have one. I've got three blanks.

TomHom

Site Donor
Reaction score
Good morning,
for the installation of the head liner you will need
- these 4 spring rods. The two in front are shorter than the two in the back.
- 8 plastic caps as shown
- the rods will hold the liner, there should be 4 holes at each roof side to hold the caps and the rods
- you will need a pattern for sewing the new liner. The one shown on the picture I am willing to give away (for details please send pm)
- note that the front part for sunroof differs from the one for non-sunroof
- you need the wooden part to fix the liner at the end
- there is a small liner strip with opening for the forced ventilation

Attachments

• 20230828_074741.jpg
    20230828_074741.jpg
    180.5 KB · Views: 47
  • 20230828_074535.jpg
    20230828_074535.jpg
    359.6 KB · Views: 50

Pflyer

Reaction score
Regards
Thomas
Danke Thomas. Any help would be great, however the fabricator will not begin til November. It is then that I will know what I’ll need with how much he’ll alter. The plan is to cut around the perimeter of the sunroof ridding all the rust. That probably will be cutting 3-4 inches either side (front and back) of the sunroof, removing it, then fabricating a patch to fit the gaping hole with added hardware. What I have no clue is the mounting hardware to transition from sunroof to non-sunroof. Fabricator stated if too radical, an interior person can make one. That sounds a bit crazy if we can use most of the existing hardware. Any thoughts?

TomHom

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Pflyer (is this your real name?),
the next days I will take some pictures showing how the roof looks from inside without sunroof "hardware". In fact you will have to remove all the supports of the sunroof installation.
From the original installation you will keep the front piece and the wooden back piece.
For the installation of the head liner you then only need these four spring rods and the caps.
Of course you will need a new head liner.
The challenge for your fabricator will be to close the hole of sunroof.
Regards
Thomas

Pflyer

Reaction score
Hi Pflyer (is this your real name?),
the next days I will take some pictures showing how the roof looks from inside without sunroof "hardware". In fact you will have to remove all the supports of the sunroof installation.
From the original installation you will keep the front piece and the wooden back piece.
For the installation of the head liner you then only need these four spring rods and the caps.
Of course you will need a new head liner.
The challenge for your fabricator will be to close the hole of sunroof.
Regards
Thomas

Pflyer

Reaction score
Dave Pfaff. Es ist Deutcher ya? Thank you much for your reply. Fabricator can’t get to the car til November, so I’m trying to get way ahead of the ball. A member has already contacted me for the sunroof. Yes, any pictures would be great. That way it will solidify my decision to nix the sunroof.

jefflit

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Consider that the visor panel is different too. You either have a switch or a crank near your rearview mirror today and your dome light is on the left side of the roof rail. In a non-sunroof car, the dome light is near the mirror. Regardless of which way you go, fixing the rust properly is a big job. The factory put some sort of moisture absorbing cushioning between the roof and the rear panel brace. This is what leads to rust behind the opening. The best way to fix is to remove the frame, repair and then reinstall. I've done it on two cars now. If you decide to fill, making a filler panel with the proper curves is a job for a craftsman. Then welding it in place without warping or tin-canning is especially challenging. It is a large, semi-flat expanse. Good luck.

1693258327465.png

1693258344244.png

1693258366648.png

1693258393650.png

1693258864877.png

1693258897172.png

Pflyer

Reaction score
Jeff, this is a discovery thread. If you tell me that it would be more difficult to nix the sunroof than to repair, so be it. The individual that will do the work is a professional fabricator. He says he can do either. I trust him, as he is part of a community that does Pebble Beach class restorations. What you are suggesting is that nixing the sunroof and rerouting many things would be more difficult than fixing the rust.

jefflit

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Yep. You should listen to the advice of your fabricator. I was just saying it is a big task either way. And now you know about different headliner bows and visor panel.

Pflyer

Reaction score
Thank you Jeff. Very nice work you did. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Like where to find a non-sunroof visor holder, etc. Dave

smileman83

Reaction score
PFlyer, I am watching this with excitment/trepidation. I have a 74 and the little bubbles are starting to show in the paint ahead of the sunroof. I am in Chapel Hill, NC so based on how yours goes, I'll be in the same boat.

Bruce

Antar

Site Donor $
Reaction score
D.C. (originally from Northern California)
Same here PFlyer and Smileman83, my coupe sunroof area is also in need of repair. So I really appreciate this post. It is very informative. Best of luck with whatever way you decide is the best way to treat your Coupe.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I read that sunroof cars are heavier up top where you don't want weight, that the drainage tubes clog and cause other rust, and of course the roof area is difficult to repair once corroded by nature of the large, low crown shape. All reasons some choose to delete the sunroof. But me personally, I love the sunroof. For me it is worth all of the "negatives" noted above. Mine has damage similar to yours, and I will be repairing it to keep the openable top. That's my preference. I am interested to see where you end up in this journey.