Rusty 1974 BMW 3.0CS Project on BaT, NMNA

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Rough indeed! Easier to find rust free spots than rusty ones. But unusual flush side reflectors got my attention.

BMW Pete

Site Donor
Reaction score
I was going to say - happy to take a look if anybody wants me too?

Then I looked at the pictures, I think all is revealed no need for anybody to take a "gander"

Although, I would like the dash for one of my race cars being restored, if anybody knows of one breaking ?

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
She's breakin' up captain!

1620192215d565ef66e7dff9fIMG_2839-scaled.jpg

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Well...let's add it up:

• $15k (what this will go for)
  • $50k (paint and body work including new panels; rotisserie)
  • $15k (interior)
  • $10k (Used B35/265 engine/trans incl. installation)
  • $10k (suspension/steering/rear end/brake work)
  • $5k (misc like fuel lines/brake lines, etc.)

That's $90k. What are #1.5/2's going for these days? $150-200k?

These E9s done right, are turning out to be pretty good investments for those brave and patient enough.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I still stand by my earlier statement.

This sunroof/AC CSi that went publicly (sure, non-advertised private sales may get a deal) for $11k on ebag probably will be the LAST good deal for an E9 for years to come:

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I thought this pic was the most telling...

Screen Shot 2021-06-13 at 4.09.43 PM.png

I'm still trying to figure out...."This E9 is a running and driving project" AND "an issue with the master cylinder has rendered the brakes inoperative."

Maybe short drives only?

Check Teahead's post #6. Even if twice that was spent, the buyer could still probably break even and probably make money if they kept it a couple of years.

Thomas76

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I would say if someone drives this thing, heck even tie it down to a trailer too tight you'll get a front shock through the hood. That tower is really bad!

lip277

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I was going to say - happy to take a look if anybody wants me too?

Then I looked at the pictures, I think all is revealed no need for anybody to take a "gander"

Although, I would like the dash for one of my race cars being restored, if anybody knows of one breaking ?
LOL -
I was going to offer as well, then I saw the pics and ... I think that says it right there.

Not sure what BaT is up to with offering this car -other than maybe wanting to ride the E9 wave we seem to be in now.
Other than that - not much worth while on this one.

Any of the PNW/Seattle folks know the story behind this one?

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Agree with Stan about Rob's estimate being too low. So let's say $150k to "restore" at today's prices over three years. To get your money back and a bit more(profit) it would take a three year wait, at least, and a near perfect restoration. And when it went up for sale I wonder how potential buyers would feel about the brave "before" photos? But in three years the market could crash and you would be sitting on a $90k car.

Or, take the $150k, invest it in a Vanguard fund that tracks the Dow, end up with at least $200k after three years.

Me thinks we are looking at a parts car Captain.

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Someone needs to do this for E9s. and perhaps reengineer/simplify the way some of the panels go together to eliminate the folds/overlaps.

You can get a complete shell for 14k. Someone ought to be able to do the same for an E9 for 25k and make money.

Then add in a crummy car like this as a donor for all the bits.

Would most likely need to be licensed by BMW, which is a snow-ball's chance in Hades.

JMinPDX

Site Donor
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I give BAT some credit for being willing to list this “project”. (But not much) I guess their thinking is since nice ones fetch six figures why not. 10 years ago this is a parts car.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
JMinNJ, this was a parts car yesterday, today and tomorrow and tomorrow. Auction reminded me of a BHCC auction without the cracked concrete. This will be fun to follow.