Screw extraction advice

Skiver

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice. On the original I did use a ton of pb blaster and used my chef blow torch to heat up and cool down with air can. It was pretty seized in the and also it was the bottom water pump bolt so awkward to access. I was sharing with a colleague that I’ve spent hours and $120 on various extractor to deal with a 10c bolt…
I am really annoyed with myself because when I took the old pump out, there were 2 shorter bolts but realoem said 6x M6x40 so assumed PO was using wrong size bolts…
@boonies - I am now in that misery zone. Extractor tip snapped off inside the hole I made. Have ordered some tungsten carbide drill bits to get the sucker out. What a pain in the a$$ - would feel like I have accomplished more for all the hours if it were fixing a more complex issue lol!

Skiver

Site Donor
Reaction score
Pic of snapped bolt

Attachments

• 087D3B50-2D82-4764-9DF3-5D062DD76DC3.jpeg
    087D3B50-2D82-4764-9DF3-5D062DD76DC3.jpeg
    467 KB · Views: 56

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Assume there is either poor access or nothing to work with on the other side.
Can you cut the old water pump and clamp the part that goes there so at least you have a guide hole to work in instead of working with a flush surface?

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Fear and loathing inhabits me whenever I am facing the task of removing water pump bolts.

Marc-M

Reaction score
If everything you have tried has failed, and you make a mess of the original threads in the block trying to drill / pick etc – all is not lost.

I had this issue with an aluminium casting (UNC thread) with steel stud that broke off below the casting….

I did everything – but restored to drilling it out in the end

And I messed it up drilling out the stud off centre and caught some of the existing threads!

Drill out as best you can the stud, – you will find that once you have made a sufficient non centred ( by mistake) hole you will be able to pick out the stud remains but you will maybe have damaged the existing threads.

Drill out the existing hole to the next thread size and re tap – so if it’s a M8 go to M10 size.

Then go to your local engineering company and ask them to make you a stud the same size but at one end a bigger thread (or your mate with some bar, a lathe and some taps and dyes)

Like the picture below….

PS you may even have the new bigger end in Imperial thread size if you fancy…

You may just getaway with it if you are good at drilling by running a tap through it and the bolt still will have grip.

The only other option is to helelicoiling.

Hope it helps.

Marc

ss.jpg

Skiver

Site Donor
Reaction score
If everything you have tried has failed, and you make a mess of the original threads in the block trying to drill / pick etc – all is not lost.

I had this issue with an aluminium casting (UNC thread) with steel stud that broke off below the casting….

I did everything – but restored to drilling it out in the end

And I messed it up drilling out the stud off centre and caught some of the existing threads!

Drill out as best you can the stud, – you will find that once you have made a sufficient non centred ( by mistake) hole you will be able to pick out the stud remains but you will maybe have damaged the existing threads.

Drill out the existing hole to the next thread size and re tap – so if it’s a M8 go to M10 size.

Then go to your local engineering company and ask them to make you a stud the same size but at one end a bigger thread (or your mate with some bar, a lathe and some taps and dyes)

Like the picture below….

PS you may even have the new bigger end in Imperial thread size if you fancy…

You may just getaway with it if you are good at drilling by running a tap through it and the bolt still will have grip.

The only other option is to helelicoiling.

Hope it helps.

Marc

View attachment 152017
Thanks Marc
Yes as a last resort I’d drill a bigger hole and use a larger bolt with the right length this time!!
Tungsten carbide bits arrived today and will give them a try