Seen at the BMW Heritage Museum

BMW Pete

Site Donor
Reaction score
On the question about the number 25, it was very common for race teams to swap numbers, even chassis numbers. I do not know in particular for Peter's car, but in general it is hard to track down race cars because unlike production cars, swapping of a lot of things including license plates, engine, power train etc was regular.

@2275066
This car has been throughly researched and confirmed by knowledgeable mechanics who worked on the cars at the time. The history and therefore the correctness of such history is paramount to me on all my cars.

Yes, it is hard and often people are "happy" with a story they hear on a car and therefore just run with it, it is then repeated often, even by journalists who take word of mouth from an owner or even lazily, some previous printed material.

I can give many examples of 30, 40 and even 50 year "stories" that have been repeated so often they become, (almost become) fact. Even some complete fakes, often referred to as the actual car, by so called authorities, again because they take the oft repeated story.

While, it's hard to do the research, as it takes years, traveling the world, building relationships, talking to all the right people, normally the mechanics, but often there are other knowledge sources. Never ever trust one source, check and then double, even treble check your information, as one persons memory may have gotten mixed up.

As an example on the Cow car above, I spent years researching (with help from trusted sources) the history, checking every driver, pole position, race result and then listed everything I knew and asked who I consider the experts to tell me what was wrong with my research, they made zero adjustments. On my Rally car, two mechanics who were there in the day, said my car was part of another important Rally, I think they are wrong and have therefore been careful to never include it in the history.

Yes, it's hard, but it's possible, as long as you are prepared to hear the bad stuff, as well as the good stuff.

Last edited by a moderator: