Show your... custom license plate.

jmackro

Reaction score
Here's mine. They are California vanity plates issued back in the blue plate era. There's a nice story to how I got them:

When I bought my Coupe in '89 (yes, from a dealer in Berkeley) it came with 7 digit blue plates - clearly not the plates that were issued when it was first registered in 1970. I never gave much thought to replacing them with vanity plates and the correct 6 digit plates were not yet covered by the YOM program. Then one day out of the blue, Murray Fowler called me saying that he had this set of blue plates from a car he was selling to an out-of-state buyer. The new owner had no use for California plates and since Murray knew I had a 2800 CS, he thought I might like them. I'm not that into vanity plates, but I like these because they remind me of Murray.

BMW license plate (4).JPG

Last edited:

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Here's mine. They are California vanity plates issued back in the blue plate era. There's a nice story to how I got them:

When I bought my Coupe in '89 (yes, from a dealer in Berkeley) it came with 7 digit blue plates - clearly not the plates that were issued when it was first registered in 1970. I never gave much thought to replacing them with vanity plates and the correct 6 digit plates were not yet covered by the YOM program. Murray Fowler called me out of the blue, saying that he had this set of blue plates from a car he was selling to an out-of-state owner. The new owner had no use for California plates and since Murray knew I had a 2800 CS, he thought I might like them. I'm not that into vanity plates, but I like these because they remind me of Murray.
Great story, Jay!

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I don't do vanity plates, but I do like to put plates on from the year of the car. Washington State makes this easy. The one time fee is low and then there is no annual renewal fee. :) . The only requirement is that you are not supposed to use the car as your daily driver.

On the Bavaria...

IMG_4217.jpeg

I even found a 1972 sticker...

IMG_4219.jpeg

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
That is the style of frame that came on my 2002 in 1974 except it was plastic. Yours is very rare as it is black metal and most likely 80s vintage.

Dohn

Reaction score
Well, you need a piece of electrician's tape to punctuate it into IT'S A 74
The graphic designer in me wants to redesign the letterforms on Ohio plates, anyway. The serifs on the "I" are too wide, and the "T" is too narrow. And don't get me started on their "D" (not shown), which reads like an "O". Punctuation would help, but a little mystery never hurt.