Show your...Steering wheel(s)

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I don't even know what a Jackie Stewart steering wheel looks like, I just know I want one :D

There is a while lineup of momo signature wheels. There are two different Jackie Stewart wheels. @Keshav is selling the wheel that the “newer” version is based on. Most are 350mm and some have fat grips. My JS wheel is an earlier version based on the prototipo S, like the Clay Regazzoni wheel (the small silver one above the dished petri in my photo).

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/pors...-momo-signature-steering-wheels-overview.html

Dan Mooney

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The 1966 Formel 380mm wheel that was formerly in my CSi now resides in my wife's Lancia Fulvia, where I think it looks pretty good. Note also how my Cocomat addiction has now spread to some of my other cars :D

IMG_1306.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1203.JPG
    IMG_1203.JPG
    151.3 KB · Views: 208

JohnP_02

Reaction score
Ok Mark, you throwing down the gauntlet. You guys should be familiar with this guy, how about a minty Ronnie Peterson (The Super Swede!) with the helmet horn button. Probably the most rare of the Momo signature series wheels, I picked it up a few years ago and I kept it for his ties to BMW racing history. This one is in really nice condition as well.
83CC58DD-9D7D-45BB-9D55-5C32C07DA8EA.jpeg
E99980F6-4F8B-4AA6-B437-EF0D125C3D36.jpeg

Here is a nice little recent pick up, the only wood Momo signature wheel - a NOS 37cm Momo Moretti with original box, mahogany wood wheel, dated 10-88, #355, with rare horn button and even more hard to find horn ring and even the grey soft cloth wheel cover. There is a little adhesive residue on the right spoke from a small plaque and some typical slight blemishes in the wood but overall amazing condition. Apparently it was a corporate gift in the ‘80’s and barely even taken out of the box!

84A44D80-A927-46FC-9D8B-F49AF0274318.jpeg
8E8F91CD-B520-4839-8BE8-66B9198356C0.jpeg
CA12A061-3652-44D5-923A-5F625227EC98.jpeg
53B7D273-5E1D-4BE1-88E5-915C2A3298B9.jpeg

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Literally chipping away at a steering wheel restoration. I bought a Personal Autostrada project to test my refinishing skills.

If you liked peeling your sunburn as a kid or currently work as a dental hygenist, you may appreciate the task of manually removing the lacquer. I tried a chemical stripper on a different wheel to no avail. I did inadvertently strip the protective clear off of the nickel garage door handle.

I’ll be honest, I have no experience with strippers. :D This way is working well, but I have another hour of archeology to perform before I’m ready to refinish.

This 38CM wheel is so pretty and light as a feather.

8AC88944-2268-4303-9E04-456C32507FA8.jpeg

77C3827A-2739-4ACA-BE3F-2D203A5795FB.jpeg
E9890D98-FD76-4C76-A4CE-67554F9AA090.jpeg

Wladek

Reaction score
My nice 38 Petri was soldo_O So, all the time i was keeping in mind my other 38 (target for my E9) that needed some love (scratched metal etc.).
If all will go proper way, by the end of July it should have new galvanic coating, so this week grip was gently removed from metal frame (fortunately without losses - no cracks etc.).
20180524_170625.jpg

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
A new lease to life for the Petri wheels in the making. We will be following closely hoping you’ll end up with a leather wrap!
Great and need project

Keshav

Wladek

Reaction score
A new lease to life for the Petri wheels in the making. We will be following closely hoping you’ll end up with a leather wrap!
Great and need project

Keshav
Yes, it will be leather wrapped.;)
As you know Keshav - i have longer hub, so it will be sort of "faked CSL wheel".

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Waldek, if you have the stitching correctly duplicated, I wouldn’t call it a fake wheel. Knowing your abilities, it will be pretty much perfect.
I’m in line if you offer this service.

Wladek

Reaction score
Waldek, if you have the stitching correctly duplicated, I wouldn’t call it a fake wheel. Knowing your abilities, it will be pretty much perfect.
I’m in line if you offer this service.
Hard to say anything, because never know if galvanic work will be success, as for now i still don't have proven upholsterer etc., etc..

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
My nice 38 Petri was soldo_O So, all the time i was keeping in mind my other 38 (target for my E9) that needed some love (scratched metal etc.).
If all will go proper way, by the end of July it should have new galvanic coating, so this week grip was gently removed from metal frame (fortunately without losses - no cracks etc.).

Very cool! Even I caught this summertime Petri fever. I'm doing the exact same thing with my 38. It's a race to the finish (I'll loose :D).

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Speed is irrelevant, finish is the key. Will be cool to see what the end products look like comparatively.
Both you guys know your business so it’s going to be a close call in a win win situation.

Hans W.

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Literally chipping away at a steering wheel restoration. I bought a Personal Autostrada project to test my refinishing skills.

If you liked peeling your sunburn as a kid or currently work as a dental hygenist, you may appreciate the task of manually removing the lacquer. I tried a chemical stripper on a different wheel to no avail. I did inadvertently strip the protective clear off of the nickel garage door handle.

I’ll be honest, I have no experience with strippers. :D This way is working well, but I have another hour of archeology to perform before I’m ready to refinish.

This 38CM wheel is so pretty and light as a feather.

View attachment 46510
View attachment 46509 View attachment 46511

Funny, I'm restoring one at the moment. This is the result of 3 hours of sanding BY HAND;

personal autostrada.jpg

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Funny, I'm restoring one at the moment. This is the result of 3 hours of sanding BY HAND;

View attachment 46526

It's a race to the finish (I'll loose :D).

I assume that you have all sorts of tricks and tips up your sleeve! I'm certainly not going to make habit of this, but I'm happy to know that I'm not comletely off base. Your wheel is much nicer of course. Interestingly enough mine doesn't have the Autostrada logo up front but it does have the personal stampings on the back.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
i know the wood is pretty, but i wonder how that would come out wrapped in a beautiful black leather

You are right. I suppose I have a backup plan if my refinishing doesn't work out!

Took off the 380cm Petri and test fitted the 40cm wheel. Does not feel and look as big as anticipated.

Looks great, so does your interior!