Show your...Steering wheel(s)

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
completely agree with the previous comments on this wheel Markos ... while there are hundreds of beautiful Petri wheels on coupes ... not so many gorgeous prototipo wheels out there. prediction, this is the new sought after coupe wheel ... and this is going to be hard to find enough old ones. for the guys in europe that participated in this endeavor with you .... job VERY well done! look forward to seeing it on your coupe

Wladek

Reaction score
For sure this steering wheel will be the icing on the cake, but the truth is that the rest of the car has to make up for it.
Very nice wheel!

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hi all,
This is a foam 38cm Petri which has got a brand new leather wrap. The stitching and leather is exactly like that of a Csl wheel, infact you’d have to have a Csl Petri next to it to tell the difference. The only difference is that this wheel’s overlaps and grip are slightly thicker than the Csl wheel, noticeable only in direct comparison. The grip feels good being marginally thicker.
Not for sale (just a yet) but I can look for appropriate wheels and get the wrap done.
This is next best to a Csl Petri and along with my soon to come repro hubs/ covers, a perfect substitute for all those who don’t have a correct leather Petri in their Csl’s or for anyone else.....
Pm me for further indulgence
DC06291E-3AEB-4C6C-B85B-A9B58D34F2B6.jpeg
8B415A60-82B5-4A0A-A997-14AB72557EC0.jpeg
A95A20CB-D742-4BA8-89ED-0532C90EA571.jpeg
AF37CDDF-C261-456B-9DEB-20CC132CCB81.jpeg

F18F9F05-2395-4CA2-9ABF-42E76778723E.jpeg

726AD3CE-6B0B-4070-B696-6B59E86A49EA.jpeg

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
The odd one out...

Seventies 360 mm 'Victor Volanti Speciali Alpina'.

My initial thought was that this wheel was some one-off fake. However, I can apply the same logic that I apply to my 380mm prototipo Alpina (carb CSL wheel). It is hard enough for me to find a standard prototipo in this size and shape that isn't an Alpina wheel. Every wheel that I have found has a momo logo on the front, negating one's ability to fake an Alpina wheel. Momo placed their log on the backside of *almost all Alpina wheels (excluding some A38's). So I can't find a single wheel like mine that could be used as a base platform for some talented individual to closely replicate the Alpina logo. It is easy for me to conclude that my wheel is legitimate.

You have a 360mm Victor. Searching around, I can see no Victor 360's, that don't have some type of logo in the same spot where your Alpina logo is placed. This significantly reduces the requirements for burden of proof. Someone who wants to validate the wheel doesn't need to find another Victor 360 with an Alpina logo. They need to find *any Victor 360 with *no logo. If someone could find a blank Victor 360, only then would the burden of proof require a second Alpina 360 to appear.

Make sense?

Hans W.

Site Donor $
Reaction score
My initial thought was that this wheel was some one-off fake. However, I can apply the same logic that I apply to my 380mm prototipo Alpina (carb CSL wheel). It is hard enough for me to find a standard prototipo in this size and shape that isn't an Alpina wheel. Every wheel that I have found has a momo logo on the front, negating one's ability to fake an Alpina wheel. Momo placed their log on the backside of *almost all Alpina wheels (excluding some A38's). So I can't find a single wheel like mine that could be used as a base platform for some talented individual to closely replicate the Alpina logo. It is easy for me to conclude that my wheel is legitimate.

You have a 360mm Victor. Searching around, I can see no Victor 360's, that don't have some type of logo in the same spot where your Alpina logo is placed. This significantly reduces the requirements for burden of proof. Someone who wants to validate the wheel doesn't need to find another Victor 360 with an Alpina logo. They need to find *any Victor 360 with *no logo. If someone could find a blank Victor 360, only then would the burden of proof require a second Alpina 360 to appear.

Make sense?

Exactly!
The story behind this Victor steering wheel is that I knew they existed. In fact, I knew of 3 other identical steering wheels. Unfortunately there is no documentation anywhere, which makes it difficult to prove its authenticity. Fortunately, Alpina Automobiles was very helpful. The lack of Victor factory stamps, its size and the different Alpina engraving are the characteristics that this steering wheel must have. All this combined with the right type of hub makes this steering wheel one of the rarest vintage Alpina steering wheels.
They were sold by Alpina from 1974 and also available in silver.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
ALPINA steering wheel same used by NIKKI LAUDA in CSL

Some better photos. That is (as you know) Burkhard Bovenseipen at the helm
3AC52BFD-D560-4603-96F7-8499668635E3.jpeg

1814FF13-3E1C-439D-B010-2AACE4F2AE52.jpeg

Although it wasn’t a BMW accessory and seemingly unavailable from Alpina, it did photo bomb the BMW Accessories Katalog. That is not your typical four spoke (A38) Alpina wheel. Way too much dish.
AAF58500-EA1E-4AB6-872A-9C7B4E58A5C2.jpeg

Last edited: