Side loader LSD

Eulean

Reaction score
I'll take either, preferrably a rebuildable core so that we're in control of the quality at the end. What's ya got in mind?

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Any reason you guys don’t want to go to one of our resident professionals, eg VSR1?

Mario can redo to your desired ration and ramp angles and stands behind his work.

I assume the total cost to you is not that different than searching for 6months, buying a used one, installing it only to find it whines and leakswhen hot, pulling it for a rebuild and reinstalling.

Eulean

Reaction score
Mario is a great guy and highly respect his work and that's an option certainly. In order to be in control of quality, we typically only outsource media blasting/dipping and machining and prefer to do mechanicals, metal fabrication, body/paint, assy in house.

frogisland

Reaction score
Have you tried tracking down an LSD diff, albeit in a different ratio, and then the CW&P separately? Be aware of the different CW bolt configuration (8-off and 10-off, m10 and m12). There are also two gear types; Klingenberg and Gleason. It can be a minefield, i purchased about 12/13 open/lsd sideloader diff's to get all the LSD units/ratios i needed plus spares for my race cars. There are also 40% LSD's out there too. The earlier LSD unit had bolt-on output shafts with an extra bearing. The bearing can be accommodated on the later output shafts with a small amount of machining ;)

Finding them (sideloader LSD and CW&P's) is getting very difficult here in the UK. Doesn't help that i have bought every one i have found (minus one 2800CS 40% that was stupid money) over the last 4-5 years! A few very corroded empty cases, but mainly open diffs and 3.07 CW&P's i struggled to give away so most ended up being scrapped.

All of the bearings and seals are readily available (SKF etc). The cover seals went out of stock at BMW for a short time but are back (i've just this week bought a number of them). Plates for altering lock-up are easy to source (all of mine are 75%).

JP

Eulean

Reaction score
s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Sorry, don't want to cough it up unless I had a 3.64 to replace it with.

Rob - Any chance you'll reconsider a 3.64 LSD? Just located one.

Eulean

Reaction score
Stevehose - I really need a 3.45 LSD and Rob was earlier possibly interested in a trade. Need to hang onto this until the dust settles.

E9madada

Site Donor
Reaction score
Have you tried tracking down an LSD diff, albeit in a different ratio, and then the CW&P separately? Be aware of the different CW bolt configuration (8-off and 10-off, m10 and m12). There are also two gear types; Klingenberg and Gleason. It can be a minefield, i purchased about 12/13 open/lsd sideloader diff's to get all the LSD units/ratios i needed plus spares for my race cars. There are also 40% LSD's out there too. The earlier LSD unit had bolt-on output shafts with an extra bearing. The bearing can be accommodated on the later output shafts with a small amount of machining ;)

Finding them (sideloader LSD and CW&P's) is getting very difficult here in the UK. Doesn't help that i have bought every one i have found (minus one 2800CS 40% that was stupid money) over the last 4-5 years! A few very corroded empty cases, but mainly open diffs and 3.07 CW&P's i struggled to give away so most ended up being scrapped.

All of the bearings and seals are readily available (SKF etc). The cover seals went out of stock at BMW for a short time but are back (i've just this week bought a number of them). Plates for altering lock-up are easy to source (all of mine are 75%).

JP

Interesting info frogisland, would like to get some more info from you when I get round to rebuilding my diff.

Eulean

Reaction score

JP
JP - Nice detail, thank you. Definitely still ramping up on the E9 and related series and their idiosynchronicities. Likely hitting you up with questions in the near future! Larry

euroshark

Reaction score
I have a core 3.07LSD side loader if you're still searching for one. Clutches still have some grab, bearings don't feel good. euroshark at comcast dot net.

Eulean

Reaction score
I have a core 3.07LSD side loader if you're still searching for one. Clutches still have some grab, bearings don't feel good. euroshark at comcast dot net.
Thanks euroshark, where were you when I needed you?!! Just found a LSD spool a couple days ago thank you for the offer.