Starter & carburetor problems

Gosch

Reaction score
I think you are almost there.

The black-red should be the thinnest of the wires connecting to the starter. It goes to the coil and it seems to take 12V during start to the coil, bypassing the coil resistor. (If you short this wire to the red wire then the lights come on as they should because you are energizing them through the resistor as if you had the switch in the ON position).

There is a black wire that feeds the starter relay and should be twice as thick as the black-red but much thinner than the red wire from the battery.

Short story, the black-red wire has no effect on the starter engaging. Leave it hanging for now. You have only two possibilities for connecting the black wire. If you hear a click when you turn the key, then you have it right. And finally if you hear a click but the starter does not move, either the starter relay is bad, or like others said there is too much resistance on the black wire or ground paths. These conditions are trivial to test, try that and call me in the morning...

The starter has 4 contacts
1. Masse = Negative Ground
2. 30 = Power Battery
3. 50 = Start command from the ignition switch
4. 16 = (not15) battery direct power during startup

The ignition coil has a resistor, either as a resistance incorporated in the cable harness, or later as a separate resistance near the ignition coil.
During the startup process is connected through contact 16, the direct battery voltage to the ignition coil to increase the ignition.
This is the only justification

jranmann

Banned
Reaction score
What blood type is that and is it available on Ebay at a buy it now price?
Since Kato Kaelin was said to have owned and driven an e9 at the time,
could the blood on the relay possibly be from OJ Simpson's bloody glove
(that never fit Simpson) and was NOT found at the double murder scene?

katos.jpg

http://wagnerandson.com/oj/step.htm

Where is Inspector Clousseau... when we need him most?

:mrgreen:

nashvillecat

Reaction score
Is your car airconditioned?

Is this the starter relay? The red spots is not rust, it's my blood
4115194552_20e31e03d8.jpg

Wild guess. Do you have air conditioning in your E9?

Is it possible that the relay in question (91/6-14) is for an "auxiliary cooling fan?"

See 61 31 381 =
Red: 30/51
Red: 87
Brown: 85
Black/white: 86
Optional: blood: relay exterior.

?

Tundra

Reaction score
Wild guess. Do you have air conditioning in your E9?

Is it possible that the relay in question (91/6-14) is for an "auxiliary cooling fan?"

See 61 31 381 =
Red: 30/51
Red: 87
Brown: 85
Black/white: 86
Optional: blood: relay exterior.

?
That is one heck of a catch. Yes, car has factory AC , 61 31 381 in the blue books is exactly the relay I had. However: (1)mine is installed on the firewall, in engine bay, (2) the wiring combination described in 61 31 381 is not what I have on this relay (since replaced with a horn relay temporarily). The wiring that was connected is red, small black, large black and brown/black. this is exactly the wiring combination as described in 61 31 400 (starter safety relay). So, based on the wiring colors it seems that my non-working relay was the starter safety relay. Based on this, I suppose the PO replaced original safety relay which appears to be oblong as per 61 31 381 with a Hella Aux. fan relay, just as I have replaced that relay with a horn relay. Now I will have to hunt were the wires are for the Aux Fan relay and buy a new starter safety relay.

Thanks
Andre