Steering column standard or telescopic

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Can't you get those new from say...ECSTuning?
not the underdash panel ... i'm talking about the good size panel between the pedals and the steering column. you can get the small plastic panel that goes under the steering column that has the lever recess in it.

Wladek

Reaction score
Some photo's of telescopic mechanism vs standard. With lower cover that Bert mentioned it will be complete set.
20171215_115308.jpg

Here you can see how rod change the length depending on pulling back/forward of steering column.
20171215_115349.jpg

And column main mount/pedal box
20171215_140046.jpg

Last edited:

jvrenaudon

Reaction score
In answer to the first question as to the desirability of the adjustable column I would say that it represents a worthwhile feature, particularly with the standard 400mm wheel. In RHD versions I think that was only available on the very later models. Let's face it, with rear-seat passengers on board, something has to "give" in terms of space, even sometimes for the driver and I do find that this flexibility in my '74 CSi is a welcome improvement. Having said this, I have done well over 100000 miles in my CSL, which does not have this facility, without too much inconvenience but, like aircon, one doesn't miss what one has never had! I would go for it, given the chance. Best wishes, John.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I don't know how it is exactly with US versions, but in EU standard pedal box booster mount is the same as in telescopic (so they are interchangeable).
i don't think so Wladek - the pedal box support of early coupes (pre 10/73) does not have the tube on top for the swinging brackets - these allow the steering wheel to move out. sorry the picture is upside down.

so i went onto realoem - and copied the image that is in the orange books - you will see that item #2 does not have the tube - and its for up to 10/73 - this is a euro spec, not a US spec - items 3 + 4 are for RHD cars

pedal mount.jpg

e9 - pedal support bracket.png

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
here is the adjustable steering part - from more views. you can see that the attachment to the body is very different than the fixed one in Wladek's 1st post of this thread.

74 steering 1.jpg

74 steering 2.jpg

74 steering 3.jpg

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Interesting, but Scott's mechanism looks slightly different than orignally posted. E.g. Scott's doesn't seem to have the "accordian" crash type of bracketry:

74-steering-2-jpg.84058

Clipboard03.jpg

And Scott's doesn't seem to have a U-joint near the lever pivot.

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Rob,
what about this one? Might be a starting point... he says he has more E9 parts, might he have the rest too!

and another ‘pricy’ set but looks really nice if it’s all there....