Stock Springs / E9 Coupes / Group Data Gathering Exercise / Understanding which springs result in what ride heights.

paul cain

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I am starting a data log on stock front springs originally fitted to the E9 Coupes. Starting with the front springs.
Looking for willing participants to add their data to this log to attempt to understand the actual color codes of front springs and what is the resulting ride height.
This exercise is focused on stock springs. For now. Later on we will add in the Carl Nelson springs, Eibach, etc to the log.
The information in the Front Axle Specifications of the Factory Blue Books bares little in comparison to what was actually fitted on cars.
The idea is to document what color codes actually exist on cars and what this yields in terms of actual ride heights.
There is a simple measurement we are calling Dimension "A". Looking for E9 Coupe forum owners to contribute what is reality on their stock coupes.
For now, looking to have folks reply back with the following information on their known stock Coupes with:
You will need a measuring tape, (inches is fine), and a caliper to measure the thickness of the spring "wire". Bonus points if you send in a pic of a new color code.
Reply back I will update the spring log with your information.
Shooting for 10 data points.
Take a look at the attached excel spreadsheet and see if you want to join the project. Note the second tab.
Thank you to Chris Macha and Mike Pelly for their initial contributions

Data Requested:
1 Car details Model Year, US or Euro
2 Spring stripe colors
3 Dimension "A" for loaded ride height
4 Note if you still have the aluminum spacer installed
5 Wire diameter

Attachments

• Dimension A.JPG
    Dimension A.JPG
    66.1 KB · Views: 136
  • E9 Coupe Front Spring Specificaitons and body measurements rev 2.xlsx
    1.2 MB · Views: 141
Last edited by a moderator:

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Will this study answer the vexing question of whether springs wear or do not wear over he car's lifetime or the spring compression cycles?

paul cain

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Will this study answer the vexing question of whether springs wear or do not wear over he car's lifetime or the spring compression cycles?
I would say not likely. What we would need to have for a conclusive answer is a Dimension A reading taken off a a brand new coupe in 197X -taken when new. We can get an idea once the data rolls in, by studying vintage photos and road test articles and observing the gap from the top of the tire to the finder lip. My experience is the factory springs are really well made (both metallurgy and post process tempering process control) and don't sag over time.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Perhaps some helpful content:

boonies

Boonies
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hi Paul, This exercise firms up the plan to get underneath and do some deep cleaning, I had to scrub to get down to the original paint...

1 1972 3.0cs, USA
2 Spring stripe colors: Green & white (also seems like a red stripe)
3 Dimension "A" for loaded ride height: 40cm
4 Note if you still have the aluminum spacer installed: Yes, spacer is installed
5 Wire diameter: 15mm
spring color 1.jpg
spring color 2.jpg

tygaboy

Reaction score
Not sure it matters in this data gathering exercise but I'll offer this:
When we corner weight/set ride height, we always measure from a point on the chassis underside, generally the subframe or suspension mounting location, not from a wheel arch. It's not uncommon to see up to .5" side-to-side difference when using points on the body, just due to imperfections in manufacturing, previous repairs, etc. Using the chassis points means the suspension's working bits are even, side to side.
Hair splitting, maybe, but figured it wouldn't hurt to toss this out. Feel free to do the same! :)

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I would say not likely. What we would need to have for a conclusive answer is a Dimension A reading taken off a a brand new coupe in 197X -taken when new. We can get an idea once the data rolls in, by studying vintage photos and road test articles and observing the gap from the top of the tire to the finder lip. My experience is the factory springs are really well made (both metallurgy and post process tempering process control) and don't sag over time.
Well I recall the economist that came up with the idea of natural experiments got a Nobel prize or something.

Natural experiment= observational study in which an event or a situation that allows for the random or seemingly random assignment of study subjects to different groups is exploited to answer a particular question.

I think if the dataset is large and includes cars that were driven little and a lot, and cars with springs replaced later in life, we face a natural experiment of sorts and can answer the sagging question.

Patton

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Paul, if I knew how to link to a previous post I would do so.

Alas, my computer skills are zero. Do a search on "Stance: Your Vote" and many chimed in with data.

In the meantime, I have a front and rear set of Carl Nelson springs, unused, that are available to anyone that wants them to complete a project.

My invoice from 2015 tells me the price was $395.

So, should anyone want them, give me a call 404-226-6678

Hope this helps.

RP

paul cain

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I want to thank Lance (Boonies) for his comprehensive submission. See attached image of his car with a 15.74 cm ride height. All of the details are now in the Excel file. I've also added a new tab to show the side view image of each of these ride heights. See the fourth tab 'side view of ride heights'.

Who wants to be next up?

Attachments

• E9 Coupe Front Spring Specificaitons and body measurements rev 3.xlsx
    1.4 MB · Views: 113
  • boonies side view cropped.jpeg
    boonies side view cropped.jpeg
    35.6 KB · Views: 109

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
1973 Euro CSi
Front: Gold painted lowering, dimension A, 13.75/35cm, wire 9/16ths/15mm
Rear are stock, can't see the color dot(s)

Attachments

• Dooley Illust pic.jpg
    Dooley Illust pic.jpg
    514.9 KB · Views: 102

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Paul - This is a good idea. If you are adding rear spring data, you should ask respondents to indicate whether they have Euro or US rear spring pads.

DWMBMW

Site Donor
Reaction score
The original fronts on my 72 CSi were red and white (with a little Tiaga overspray) at 15mm. The rears were red only at about 13mm.
Never measured the ride height before I replaced them with CN lowering springs a couple of years ago but also attached is a pic of a pic I took in 1984 with the original springs and Boge shocks. No alum spacers but still pretty damn high.
9DCB3ED5-DBAC-48DA-8107-76FA4D4CBD18.jpeg
A165C02B-C8E3-4CB0-943E-3BC4ED0D74B2.jpeg

paul cain

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Spreadsheet has been updated with the final ride height for DWMBMW's 1972 3.0 CSi and Patricia Mayer's 1974 US Market with red/blue/blue spring. Aluminum spacers are still installed. Both cars are ready for Paris to Dakar!

Attachments

• 1974 USA Coupe with automatic at dim. A at 15.25 inches closer up.jpg
    1974 USA Coupe with automatic at dim. A at 15.25 inches closer up.jpg
    416.7 KB · Views: 100
  • 1974 USA Coupe with automatic at dim. A at 15.25 inches.jpg
    1974 USA Coupe with automatic at dim. A at 15.25 inches.jpg
    427.2 KB · Views: 91
  • E9 Coupe Front Spring Specificaitons and body measurements rev 4.xlsx
    2.8 MB · Views: 156
  • dwmbmw without alum spacers.jpeg
    dwmbmw without alum spacers.jpeg
    295.5 KB · Views: 97