Suspension Suggestions

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
sfdon,

I appreciated your comment about Bilsteins being a bit harsh. I currently have them on the coupe I bought, and will be replacing them over the winter with a full set of Konis. I had a friend who put Bilsteins on his Porsche 928 GT and couldn't get them off and replaced with Konis fast enough. I had put Konis with progressive rate springs on my 928, and really liked the ride/handling. I also had Konis on my '73 e9 back in the late 70's, and liked the ride and handling then.

I actually have 2 sets of Konis, as when I went searching, I found two places with what each thought was the last set of Koni shocks for the e9. Anything that rare seemed a good investment!! - ha.

Anyway, I too am looking forward to the suspension mods - CN lowering springs, Paul Cain adjustable front struts and Koni shocks. Comfortable road driving, but perhaps not as good for track driving as the Bilsteins. The installation of these components will keep me out of trouble for a while this winter - ha.

Gary Knox

JayWltrs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Of course, would never challenge that, I was just thinking perhaps there is a set of some substitute Jay could use, he sounds pretty jammed up. Koni perhaps? But it does look like he will be ordering from overseas.

I’m set for a while, but thanks. While I’m learning a lot, I need to school-up more, talk to some more folks & wait until Don reports on the coilovers before deciding on struts and springs.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
My Bilsteins are great for fast highway, rough for around down, especially here in pothole city. I'd consider softer ones for the back also.

JayWltrs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
After skin & shock removal: Towers had been reinforced but welds were starting to rust. Cleaned up on top and underneath. Used 3” pipe washer underneath as a bit of added support. POR15. Also realized likely old weld/torch spatter on interior wheel wells have created dozens of little rust dots coming through paint. Have to regroup to address that. Shocks installed. Ride much better & height now uniform left & right. Also realized rear tires were a bit over inflated — combination of shocks and proper inflation vastly improved rear-steer. Rear springs nearing their end, but that awaits comprehensive suspension overhaul.
E243E65D-BDB2-4EAE-8A70-8F4D277D6CCE.jpeg
86BAA036-95E7-41DA-B696-A84EF74FAD09.jpeg
562401B1-44BA-4D72-8A31-4B7A1981AEA1.jpeg

JayWltrs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Oh yeah, be careful using plumber’s tape to compress shocks for install. In trying to expand the holes in the tape with a drill, it caught and created a whirling blade that would have taken a huge hunk out of my hand if I hadn’t been wearing my idiot-protection gloves. I didn’t know what stupid thing I was about to do, but I knew I didn’t know what I was doing and stopped to put on gloves.

JayWltrs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Additional questions:

1) @sfdon Did you have a chance to test out the coilovers in September as you mentioned earlier? Any verdict or additional thoughts?

2) Rear subframe mounts/bushings: Does anyone have opinions whether any material quality difference exists among BMW version, aftermarket suppliers, or the IE Urethane versions. Not looking for solid racing gear, but also not looking to do this again soon and do not mind a bit stiffer ride.

3) Generally the same question for differential mount/bushing parts.

4) Differential reinforcement plates: Is LaJolla the only source? I thought CK or someone else made them but can't find anything similar.

Thanks.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
No luck at driving the coilovers- they look great but not installed yet.
pretty pricey I think.

JayWltrs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Any thoughts/experience on these subframe mounts? Been hand-wringing on what to purchase, and I'd hate to miss today's price.
WN Rear Subframe Sale.PNG

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Lots of wrestling to get those out/in. The main bolt is under the back seat and pressed in and quite difficult to free up. In the end, my old ones looked really good after 100K so it may not be worth it. You can stiffen them up a bit with poly inserts that are sold by Ireland Engineering.
E9Rsbinsrt.jpg

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
How many of you guys who find Bilateins too harsh are still on 14” diameter 70 aspect ratio tires?

WALTER

Site Donor
Reaction score
I was on 16" Alpinas with sport springs and Bilsteins; never liked the ride because it was harsh. For this reason I tried Ground Control coil overs. Ride is firm but more compliant than the Bilsteins, and I haven't experimented with settings and springs rates yet which may yield an even better ride. Overall, I think coil overs are an upgrade; but it is $$$.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
Any thoughts/experience on these subframe mounts? Been hand-wringing on what to purchase, and I'd hate to miss today's price.View attachment 57383

I use them on my car, have only driven it one summer so can't speak about the quality, but they have done their work so far.

How many of you guys who find Bilateins too harsh are still on 14” diameter 70 aspect ratio tires?

I'm running Bilstein HDs and lowering springs on 16" wheels, in my opinion they are not harsh, but you're connected to the road, good for both cruising and spirited driving.
High $ coilovers would do a better job in all aspects, of course.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
728900 units are solid.
Poly inserts have no where to go.

JayWltrs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
All very helpful. I don’t mind harshness unless it harms the car. My struts and all bushings on suspension and steering are kaput. So a lot of wrestling is inevitable—dropping blasting, and coating or painting subframes makes most sense at this point. I’ve settled on doing the CN springs & struts. Car has too many other needs/projects to “spring” for coilovers at this point, but I’m scheming for them down the road.

And wife confirms we’re definitely selling house in 1Q19 and the car/ garage must be presentable (no cars on blocks). I’ve got 60% of the parts, but I’m on lockdown for a bit. Just trying to pick up parts when they’re on sale or available. Never wanted to pack or move again, but more land with room for shop with lift hopefully will be worth the wait. Or at least that’s what I’m telling myself?

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
And wife confirms we’re definitely selling house in 1Q19 and the car/ garage must be presentable (no cars on blocks). I’ve got 60% of the parts, but I’m on lockdown for a bit. Just trying to pick up parts when they’re on sale or available. Never wanted to pack or move again, but more land with room for shop with lift hopefully will be worth the wait. Or at least that’s what I’m telling myself?
Oh man. Just got done with one of those. What an exhausting nightmare. I wish you luck.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
I was on 16" Alpinas with sport springs and Bilsteins; never liked the ride because it was harsh. For this reason I tried Ground Control coil overs. Ride is firm but more compliant than the Bilsteins, and I haven't experimented with settings and springs rates yet which may yield an even better ride. Overall, I think coil overs are an upgrade; but it is $$$.
[/QUOTE]

Perhaps thes eBilsteins were valved for 70 series tires, and not for modern low profile tires?I I have the Bilstein HD's with CN springs and 14" wheels and the ride is smooth and not in the least hash on out pockmarked New England roads. My X5 rides much more harshly than my E9.

It this is so, we are safe using adjustable damping rate shocks like Koni.

John.

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score

Perhaps thes eBilsteins were valved for 70 series tires, and not for modern low profile tires?I I have the Bilstein HD's with CN springs and 14" wheels and the ride is smooth and not in the least hash on out pockmarked New England roads. My X5 rides much more harshly than my E9.

It this is so, we are safe using adjustable damping rate shocks like Koni.

John.[/QUOTE]
+1 on the Bilstein HD and Carl Nelson spring. Riding on 225 x 60 14 tires.