Taiga Batmobile at RM Amelia Island

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
Agree. The steering feel of a manual CSL rack is completely different than the regular power rack. The manual rack has that direct “lively” feel, with a little bit of bump steer, similar to an old 911. Drive a 72 911 and you will get a sense of the manual steering rack in a CSL.
I'd have to respectfully disagree. My r&p CSL doesn't come anywhere close. Nothing steers like an early 911.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
is that an electric mirror on the bat2? my first question was - why is the mirror in the US location ... then i got to the shape.

tightbox

Reaction score
Met some wonderful e9 folks, and took a look at the car, but unfortunately, I will not be bidding on her.

D94261B9-727D-4AFB-8EF4-6B794FD8BE44.jpeg

tightbox

Reaction score
That was Scott’s very pretty Polaris CSL (he also brought the M1 at the factory booth).

His wife drove it down, while he trailered the M1 - fabulous group of enthusiasts!

Last edited:

BMW Pete

Site Donor
Reaction score
Looks like it sold yesterday for USD$291k + the buyers premium. Seems a fair price

It was a fair price for that car particular car.

Really, really badly restored many years ago and not only showing signs of a cheap restoration, but so much of it done incorrectly, dare I say you would have to start again.

Certainly hope the new owner does it, the car deserves to be properly saved

sandhu

Site Donor $
Reaction score
This bat had a no expense full nut and bolt resto on it before it was sold in the UK in 2009/10 then exported back to the USA
Was this restoration not done correctly ??

I have been told by The E9 Gods and Prophets worldwide that a correct E9 nut and bolt restoration is good for at least 20yrs before you do it again
If you use your E9 in the summer season only

This bat was a concourse car before it went to the USA

So the last 10yrs plus years this bat has not been looked after correctly ??

tightbox

Reaction score
I wasn’t able to pop the hood before it went on the block, but Scott mentioned the fender welds were incorrect.

Here are some additional pictures I snapped - you can make your own judgement:

1CF394F3-1D70-45B5-BE1A-4DBF8A8B7264.jpegBCC2771C-FEF6-460A-9DF2-D37507825FF2.jpeg6144DD78-C553-4FD3-A307-DA8B5C3AC963.jpeg0678F52C-3192-425A-8230-451C8B7DECD8.jpeg

BMW Pete

Site Donor
Reaction score
This bat had a no expense full nut and bolt resto on it before it was sold in the UK in 2009/10 then exported back to the USA
Was this restoration not done correctly ??

I have been told by The E9 Gods and Prophets worldwide that a correct E9 nut and bolt restoration is good for at least 20yrs before you do it again
If you use your E9 in the summer season only

This bat was a concourse car before it went to the USA

So the last 10yrs plus years this bat has not been looked after correctly ??
This car was never a concourse car and I doubt has ever been since it left the showroom floor. I had it inspected about 12 years ago when for sale in the UK and as I mentioned it was a cheaply done resto then, that has now not aged well.

I understand all owners of this car have kept it well,or as well anybody can keep a car and it has been used sparingly, so no blame on the owners since the restoration.

When a car is restored cheaply to sell, it will quickly show its imperfections and this is doing that in spades.

Last edited:

sandhu

Site Donor $
Reaction score
This car was never a concourse car and I doubt has ever been since it left the showroom floor. I had it inspected about 12 years ago when for sale in the UK and as I mentioned it was a cheaply done resto then, that has now not aged well.

I understand all owners of this car have kept it
well,or as well anybody can keep a car and it has been used sparingly, so no blame on the owners since the restoration.

When a car is restored cheaply to sell, it will quickly show its imperfections and this is doing that in spades.

I remember seeing this car for sale in the UK and the salesman telling me it has had a no expense/open cheque book
resto done on the car and it was now in concourse condition ready for the new owner to enjoy

But I trust your judgment on this car (and on any E9 cars that you have seen) than the cars cleverly worded advertisement or the words of a salesman

BMW Pete

Site Donor
Reaction score
I remember seeing this car for sale in the UK and the salesman telling me it has had a no expense/open cheque book
resto done on the car and it was now in concourse condition ready for the new owner to enjoy

But I trust your judgment on this car (and on any E9 cars that you have seen) than the cars cleverly worded advertisement or the words of a salesman
Yes, exactly Sandhu. I am guessing you talked with the people at Four Star Classic at the time - I got the same spiel as you sir :)

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
Yes, exactly Sandhu. I am guessing you talked with the people at Four Star Classic at the time - I got the same spiel as you sir :)
Hi Pete,
I had to miss Amelia this year due to other commitments. Tell us what you saw and what you didn't like. The inner fender welds were done wrong, and that is not at all easy to fix. What else did you see? The headliner looks like correct material to my eyes from the pic above. But totally weird ride height. Four bar grill. Tired dash wood, old tires I bet (not XWXs), less than crisp presentation overall with a resto that looks 20 years old. And no views from below in the auction listing. How about the rear wing setup?

Anyway, would love to hear you observations, since these cars so rarely come to market publicly.

Was this the car that was in SPorts Car Market with a New Jersey plate about ten years ago and sold for 160k back then? If so, seller did just fine.

Last edited:

tightbox

Reaction score
Sounds like Pete inspected it earlier in the UK.

I ran into Scott Hughes while admiring his CSL. He clued me in to the subpar fender welds on this car, and that really killed my enthusiasm before seeing it.

The paint was fairly well done, and may have been recent. Scott’s son-in-law (who has campaigned his Grp 2 e9) knew the local painter personally. He spoke highly of his work in general.

Here are some additional pics highlighting what else I saw (trying to be diplomatic here):
1334A88D-BAE6-437D-9FD9-3DECC5BB5E88.jpeg
0E6D7CE4-817C-49A3-8704-EC217C12FD6D.jpeg
DE20F974-E9D1-4967-B708-B360DD15BFC9.jpeg
6B695930-30BD-4C03-8BEB-56079B73F69F.jpeg

Trunk/spoiler and hood alignment. Color. Air dam. Wipers.