The future...............

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I disagree with this sentiment. Computers have advanced motorsport immensely, love it or hate it. I would assert that there are more auto enthusiasts now than ever. A modified EMS allows one do wacky thinks with a car. Flat shifting, launch control, boost control, etc. Enthusiasts, particularly in the turbo 4cyl world are eating it up. It is short sighted to think that tuners won’t build interfaces that allow enthusiasts to “over clock” their electric cars, eek out more torque, remove traction control, etc.. Electric motor swaps, battery pack upgrades, the list goes on.

Complaining about this stuff makes one no different than the carb mechanic complaining about fuel injection ruining the hobby.

With all that said - I’m running carbs! :D
Not sure I am on board with this. I think there is a difference when using your hands on physical endeavors: turning a screw, tightening a bolt ,welding metal, etc. "Tuners" use pre-made software to adjust electronic settings on a newer car. But what we're comparing here are the guys and gals that turn wrenches to people that would actually write software that tuners could use. I don't think "automotive hobbyists" will be creating software - that is for computer programmers. The function of the hobby is/will become once-removed from the activity itself. That's my concern, anyway. I feel we are losing a mechanical nature, and that is a bit sad.

mulberryworks

Mr. Fixity
Site Donor
Reaction score
Local Austin shop, Moment Motors can build you an electric conversion of most any classic.

https://www.momentmotors.com/

Here’s a beautiful 912 they brought to our monthly BMW C&C...

They have a 2002 conversion in the works right now.

I would have loved to see that 912 but I didn't go that time. I looked at their info a year ago, the prices are pretty eye watering if I remember. But bespoke high end engineering is never cheap. If you roll your own, you might get something like Mike Pethel's electric BMW E9, which while powerful enough to burn rubber, had no back seat and eventually caught on fire.

Mike-Pethel's-electric-BMW-E9.jpg

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Markos

“I think it would be really interesting to watch fully automated driverless racing with no restrictions except for a standard CPU.”

A demonstration or competition of algorithm designer versus algorithm designer would be very interesting. My job is creating smart algorithms that solve problems which used to require complex mechanical solutions. However I think the finer points of such a competition Would be lost the general population because they don’t practice DSP and AI in their normal daily lives. But people drive cara all the time and that is why they can relate to the challenge of driving a car really fast without crashing the damn things. When people no longer ‘drive’ cars them motorsports as we know it will die off.

Perhaps other sports which require the application of physical skill married with the ability to apply Newtonian physics in real time (like racing sail boats, which I love doing), will all eventually die off and sports will only be enjoyed by SW and DSP hacks.

John

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Cool job! I write simple algorithms but machines aren’t involved. :)

My point about only limiting the CPU inferred that there would be no limits on HP or aerodynamics. I would anticipate lots of gnarly crashes, which is one of the reasons why nascar is so popular. I think that spectators might actually become more engaged.

My favorite racing era is Group B rally. The cars kept getting more and more insane until it became unsafe. Automation could bring a return to the craziness without putting lives in danger.

Markos

“I think it would be really interesting to watch fully automated driverless racing with no restrictions except for a standard CPU.”

A demonstration or competition of algorithm designer versus algorithm designer would be very interesting. My job is creating smart algorithms that solve problems which used to require complex mechanical solutions. However I think the finer points of such a competition Would be lost the general population because they don’t practice DSP and AI in their normal daily lives. But people drive cara all the time and that is why they can relate to the challenge of driving a car really fast without crashing the damn things. When people no longer ‘drive’ cars them motorsports as we know it will die off.

Perhaps other sports which require the application of physical skill married with the ability to apply Newtonian physics in real time (like racing sail boats, which I love doing), will all eventually die off and sports will only be enjoyed by SW and DSP hacks.

John

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Markos,
I'm also saying I'm a romantic old fart that tears up when watching back and white Bette Davis movies. I like F1 and modern motorsports, but it's all just a bit antiseptic and lacking in character. Also, some of the moves in F1 happen so fast that I miss it because I blink to slowly. Racing an old vintage car with old sloppy suspensions and slide-y Dunlops is about as fast as I can handle with my reaction times.

John

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Have y’all read the book, “The last Open Road,” by Burt Levy? There is a romance about all those old, quirky, imperfect, highly individualized race cars.

These old cars required drivers to have more broad skills that were more easily visible to spectators. Crowds could hear mis-shifts, seesmoking overheated brakes, and reveled in drivers who could over come their highly imperfect cars.

The lower degree of automation and information on old race cars means more ways to screw up the driving task, which ends up creating more passing opportunities. The more imperfect nature of old technologies means cars that drive very differently on a track, leading to more passing and re-passing... and more exciting racing.

This issue of visibility hits the nail on the head. Look at F1. While new technologies have made the cars faster and more reliable, the factors that go into winning are only visible if you look closely into the data. I think Mark Weber had it right when he retired; they don't race any more. They manage their races and try to avoid mistakes.

I'm sure there are folks who enjoy the intricacies of tire choice strategy and when to send your driver out in qualifying and battery discharging and DRS zones and fuel economy during a race (fuel economy in racing, really?!) and engine wear management during a race and front wing adjustments and protecting your tire wear during a race and pit stop/track traffic timing and whatnot. Lewis Hamilton and Mercedes managed a perfect qualifying session yesterday and a perfect race today. It was all very boring.