The handbrake lever upgrade "plus"

inovermyhead

Reaction score
Handbrake lever upgrade

Check before you leap in.
I followed this post some time ago and sourced the same bearings, cut the bolt down, got all the bits I needed, then dived in to do what looks like a great upgrade and straight forward job. Sometime in my cars history it looks like the whole unit that surrounds the handbrake had been removed and replaced, some fiairly dodgey welding holding it all together and possibly a non original lever that had a completely different pivot bolt arrangement that the new bits would not even go close to fitting. What a waste of time and money, thanks P.O
My advice for what it's worth, lift the rubber boot and have a look first.
Cheers. John

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
I followed this post some time ago and sourced the same bearings, cut the bolt down, got all the bits I needed, then dived in to do what looks like a great upgrade and straight forward job. Sometime in my cars history it looks like the whole unit that surrounds the handbrake had been removed and replaced, some fiairly dodgey welding holding it all together and possibly a non original lever that had a completely different pivot bolt arrangement that the new bits would not even go close to fitting. What a waste of time and money, thanks P.O
Cheers. John

+1
good and sound advice !
check and compare with my pics, see original mechanism,

011120073692.jpg

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
well lets build a list, this is probably going too far...

hi

today i got this checked out by a friend (i am out in a trip), there is availability of all the parts, anyway i have to pay the shipping of the parts when i make the order too (the crisis is leading to virtually no stock in the hardware shops, everything is by request)

some of the prices have had slight changes, including the increase of VAT tax in spain, so the final price of the kit will be (shipping included)

for europe: 32 euro
for US, AUS, rest of the world: 37 euro

being so many orders i am unable to cut the bolt head and the nut, anyway that makes no change in the performance of the solution, you can leave like it is or you can do it by yourself when you receive the kit, there is no need of cutting them, but i want to be very clear about this

the list of people interested includes:

ERIK USA
POLARISCSL UK
DERSCHWEDE GERMANY
RSPORSCHE USA
30CSL UK
PMALLINSON IRELAND
KASBATTS NEWZEALAND

as you might have to check the actual setup of your handbrake lever to see if this kit helps you, please check it and if you still interested please send me a pm with your email address

i will leave this open until this weekend, on monday i will order the parts

Last edited:

pmallinson

Reaction score
Put me down for one

Pleased we are getting this done please include me and email when you require payment etc I assume Paypal will work best ?

Last edited:

inovermyhead

Reaction score
Hand break upgrade

For those Downunder who want to make their own parts, local contact for bearings. SKF bearings Sydney. Tel 02 9667 3770. ref 2x AXK 1730 4x AS 1730.
Brass bushes you will have to get turned up.
Hope this helps and I'm not doing de Quincey out of business!!!
Cheers. John

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
For those Downunder who want to make their own parts, local contact for bearings. SKF bearings Sydney. Tel 02 9667 3770. ref 2x AXK 1730 4x AS 1730.
Brass bushes you will have to get turned up.
Hope this helps and I'm not doing de Quincey out of business!!!
Cheers. John

not at all, do not worry about it
thus early in my post you had all the references and specs for a DIY
bushes can be found commercially made too
at the end of the day it is just a collection of an industrial hardware store items
...if you are lucky enough to have such a shop nearby...:D

fredp

Reaction score
Cheers. John

Hi John, can you let me know where you sourced the brass bushes?

vince

Site Donor
Reaction score
DeQuincey,

Great upgrade! As always, well documented.

Was your coupe originally Chamonix from the factory? A white interior is rare but a white on white coupe? Maybe one of one - yours?

vince

Site Donor
Reaction score
DeQuincey,

Great upgrade! As always, well documented.

Was your coupe originally Chamonix from the factory? A white interior is rare but a white on white coupe? Maybe one of one - yours?

Sorry, I just looked at an earlier post of yours where you tell us your car was originally white.

inovermyhead

Reaction score
Hi Fred, I had them made up by a local machine shop in Mona Vale, Pittwater Engineering. I had them cut and thread the bolt too as I did not have the tools to do so. Cannot recommend them as they charged me $100 for the work and I had to take it back because the thread was cut too deeply and the nut would not go on so they re did it and wanted to charge me an extra $40 ....pah:!: I still have the bits and I'm not going to need them so would be keen to sell them to a good home for the cost of the bearings/ washers, say $30 if your keen
Cheers. John

alanmcg

Reaction score
northern beaches

ha - love seeing those names 'mona vale' and 'pittwater' - i lived in avalon for a few years, imo one of the nicest spots on the planet. g'day!

inovermyhead

Reaction score
Ha Ha another perfect day here in downtown Avalon, sun is shining 23 degrees middle of winter, perfect.
Cheers john

fredp

Reaction score
Hi John,

Sounds good to me, I'm in Lane Cove so I'll PM my details and we can organise an exchange.

cheers

Fred

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
update, from my hardwareshop friend

seems that we will find beautiful round headed stainless steel bolts for the set:

instead the hexagonal headed bolts, i will include round "allen" head bolts, the picture only lacks of the bearings, that will be ordered on monday

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
update on the list, if i am not mistaken...

confirmed and payed,
RMP
PMALLINSON
DER SCHWEDE

confirmed,
KASBATTS
POLARISCSL

no more news, no confirmation yet, i sent you three a PM
30CSL
RSPORSCHE
ERIK

please notice that i will close the list on monday in order to order the parts

regards

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
de Q,

email sent ... need to know how much and if your paypal is the email address you sent me.

thanks
scott