The handbrake lever upgrade "plus"

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Just a tip

de Q has a diagram for installation but if I may be so bold as to make a suggestion or two; remove rubber boot and shine it up :), release handbrake completely and if still tight loosen the 10mm nuts so there is plenty of slack and the brake handle is "sloppy", remove the clip from one side and push out the pin slowly with the threaded bolt- you will have to take one of the brass bushings off to insert from the opposite side once the original pin is out and you will have to insert the washer/bearing(s) at the same time. Basically you don't want to lose the orientation of all the little pieces inside the handle. If you do, not a big deal but it helps to have a 3rd hand when re-assembling if that's the case. I have done 3 of these wonderful upgrades with varying degrees of Turetts syndrome but the result is worth it.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
sometime soon i have to install mine - i realize that i already have the Paul Cain upgrade, so it will be interesting to test the deQ new and improved version.

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
To anyone who has not yet installed this 'significant' upgrade in rigidizing and stabilizing the hand brake, I have a recommendation.

Follow deQuincy's recommendations, but DO NOT let the 'latch' for the ratchet system drop below the 'cogs or serrations' on the ratchet mechanism. IF you do, that will allow the spring that tensions the push button on the front of the handle to pull the 'arc' on the rod connected to the push button past the upper end of that latch. Guess what happens then!! The button, spring and rod come flying out the front end of the tube. You needn't ask me how I know this occurs!!!

Getting the rod back in is a very difficult if not impossible task, as I'm convinced Hans assembled the mechanism THEN installed the rivet on which the latch pivots. IF this does happen to you, let me know and I'll tell you how I got it re-assembled. Not necessary to post all that here, as now - HOPEFULLY - no one will ever need to re-install the rod with the arc, the spring and the button!

Stefan

Reaction score
To anyone who has not yet installed this 'significant' upgrade in rigidizing and stabilizing the hand brake, I have a recommendation.

Follow deQuincy's recommendations, but DO NOT let the 'latch' for the ratchet system drop below the 'cogs or serrations' on the ratchet mechanism. IF you do, that will allow the spring that tensions the push button on the front of the handle to pull the 'arc' on the rod connected to the push button past the upper end of that latch. Guess what happens then!! The button, spring and rod come flying out the front end of the tube. You needn't ask me how I know this occurs!!!

Getting the rod back in is a very difficult if not impossible task, as I'm convinced Hans assembled the mechanism THEN installed the rivet on which the latch pivots. IF this does happen to you, let me know and I'll tell you how I got it re-assembled. Not necessary to post all that here, as now - HOPEFULLY - no one will ever need to re-install the rod with the arc, the spring and the button!

Gives me flashbacks....
Doing this several years ago according to info from our friends in 2002faq.
I had every piece of the handbrake dismantled for cleaning and for my own interest for functionality.
With some necessary improvements to the early design (guess like DQ did) I was going to put all things into the car again. And how difficult could it be?
Well, as Gary Knox mentioned it's not like a walk in the park:)
Though faded memory according to age and "fast living" I can still remember doing the set-up with spring and mechanism function on the bench and then smoothly insert it into place.

Off topic! parking brake, hand brake, emergency brake?
I think "emergency brake" is disqualified due to functionality ;)

jmackro

Reaction score
DO NOT let the 'latch' for the ratchet system drop below the 'cogs or serrations' on the ratchet mechanism. IF you do (bad things will happen)

My kit from DeQ is currently sitting on my workbench, waiting for installation.

I get it that I should NOT let the 'latch' for the ratchet system drop below the 'cogs or serrations' on the ratchet mechanism. But can you clarify what I should - or should not - do to ensure that doesn't happen? Is it as simple as not letting the lever move downward (or upward) while I have the pivot out?

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I encourage anyone who does not have this 'kit' to get it while DQ is willing to assemble them. Makes the handbrake feel like it was designed and built by Caterpillar (or Mack Truck). That description is probably most meaningful for residents of the USA!!!