The magic world of CSL VIN series

CSL 1973

Reaction score
I think most of the info about the existing CSL VIN series is known. Mayby not so well-known is the following info about some potential - but never realised - CSL VIN series:

- VIN range 2276001-2277000 was also reserved for the injection LHD CSL (maybe in case of a "huge" demand of CSL-cars)

- VIN range 4360001-4365000 was reserved for a potential RHD CSL (3153 ccm), type code 7072

- Some info says that only 494 RHD CSL cars of the 500 were built. All within the VIN range 2285001-2285500

Cheers
Henric

Last edited:

Honolulu

Reaction score
Henric, just for grins and screams (since the only CS I'm particularly interested in is my own), what is your source for this information, and how did you come to know this?

CSL 1973

Reaction score
I can add that the first of the 20 Race CSLs has VIN 2276000, the next 2275999 etc. The complete VIN serie 2275001-2276000 was reserved for CSL. The production stopped at 2275539, which means that when BMW built the 20 Race CSLs, they knew that no more street CSLs from that VIN range wld be built.

Instead, BMW continued with the CSL VIN serie 4355001-4360000, there only 57 CSL cars were built.

Also interesting is that there are two E-codes for our beloved coupes; E9 and E9/73 (facelift version as from 10/1973).

From a trustworthy German source, I have also got confirmation that BMW actually built "individual" cars already in 1973. For instance, the famous 2002 turbo was officially built in only Polaris silver metallic and Chamonix white. The total production was 1672 cars.

However, one new 2002 Turbo left the factory in Schwarz color. This unique car was delivered in Schwarz upon special request from the company Meiler-Kipper in Munich.

This fact explains the few but existing special order CSLs. With the right connections at the factory at the time, almost everything was possible.

Honolulu; In this case, the source is of German origin and pretty "close to the sun" ... He has published a lot of BMW-books and is well-established as a German BMW author.

Cheers

Henric

Last edited:

globalgrooves

Reaction score
how many RHD drive Fjord Blue CSLs produced

Hi Henric, do you have any idea how many Fjord Blue RHD CSL s were produced? and how many RHD cars are left, probably Gianni might know that?

Last edited:

CSL 1973

Reaction score
globalgrooves;

Fjord was the most common color of the RHD CSLs. Between 20-25% of all RHD CSL cars were Fjord. The RHD CSL is also today the most common street CSL with about 70% of the produced cars still alive.

Cheers
Henric

giannicsl

Reaction score
Hello to all you guys!

I have in my data base 35 in csl 037 fjord!

17 of these 35 examples are RHD!

invite this beautiful community to interact and to help in looking for new photos and vin # csl's.

I very much effort I managed to get 321's vin # csl!

best regards

giannicsl

Reaction score
Sean steeele e mai address

I lost e-mail address of friend Sean Steele.

please if some guy on the forum could say that I look for him to communicate news. thanks

merlin32

Reaction score
Wow,
Henric, your news are always amazing...:) I LOVE your postings..;)
Btw, my CSL had 2 Indoor Light´s. One left and one right.. maybe special order ???
cheers Markus

CSL 1973

Reaction score
CSL interior light(s)

Guten Tag Markus,

My relatives just asked me which CSL-related topic wld be discussed at this Sunday's dinner. I think the issue about the CSL interior lights is a very interesting topic and perfect for my Sunday dinner.

As far as I know, the following indoor/interior light combinations (inner-roof/roof headliner mounted) are possible to find in a CSL:

- No lights at all (very rare but e.g. 2275143)
- One light = left side (most of the LHD CSLs?)
- One light = right side (most of the RHD CSLs?)
- Two lights = left + right (2275328?)
- Two lights = front + right
- Two lights = front + left
- One light = front-mid
- One light = rear (?)

Grüss

Henric

Lorenzo

Site Donor
Reaction score
Interior lights

No lights on the inner roof of my two carbs CSL (well.. one is my ex CSL), just the rally map light on the dash.

merlin32

Reaction score
Hej Henric,
Your right, 2275328 had 2 indoor light´s, left and right. Hmmm, in future i will take a special look to all csl headliners ;) I wish you a very interesting sunday dinner ;)
cheers Markus

E911

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hood/trunk props...

Any idea when they changed from simple through the sheet metal to a bracket? Were all carb'd cars the early style?

giannicsl

Reaction score
info csl

some nice guy has pictures of vin # 2275338??

I thought I have in my database, but then a friend and expert Mark opened my eyes and told me that the photos that I had listed as 2275338 is actually vin # 2275483 Spanish!!

any news is always very much appreciated!
Thanks to all

[email protected]

Gerrit

Reaction score
Interior lights

There seem to be quite a bit of confusion about the CSL interior light set up, so here is the rule:
early carbs, rallye light in the glove box, no light in the headliner
late carbs, rallye light on the dash, no light in the headliner
2275 series, rallye light on the dash, no light in the headliner
2275 series with citypack and 2285 series, no rallye light, headliner light on the DRIVER´S side
4355 series, no rallye light, headliner light on the driver´s side (left)

If your car has a different set up, it has been modified at some point.

Gerrit

CSL 1973

Reaction score
Thanks Gerrit for sorting this out.

Sounds pretty logic. As there are very few 2275-cars without citypack, this explains why it's pretty rare to find one without headliner light.

For these 2275-cars (without any headliner light) is there also a logic in terms of the door-switches? Should there be empty holes on these cars?

Cheers

Henric

Ps, the Sunday dinner's topic was changed in the last minute. Unfortunately, only registration plate numbers of the 2002 Turbo press cars were discussed.

RonP

Reaction score
Does anyone know how many non-city package cars were built? I heard around 20, but would love to hear if anyone knew the exact number?

E911

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hey Ron- do you still have access to the yellow carb'd CSL - I want to confirm the hood and trunk prop configuration...

Thanks- Richard

CSL 1973

Reaction score
Ron,

There are more than 20 non city-pack CSLs.

However, I only know for sure that among the first 294 CSLs from the 2275-series, there were 154 city-packs. That makes 140 non-city pack cars. Later on in the 2275-series, there were very few non-city pack.

If the carb's shld be taken into account, another 169 non-city pack cars cld be added.

All in all, the minority of the CSL cars were non-city pack.

Cheers
Henric

RonP

Reaction score
Henric,

I don't think I was quite clear with my question. What I have is #2275205 which is set up almost exactly as one of the first 169 cars. It has front bumper delete, aluminum doors, hood, and trunk, fiberglass rear bumper, plexiglass rear windows, hood stand and pins, but mechanical trunk, no a/c, crank front windows, and no sway bars. It is Verona Red.

So, is this the same kind of setup you are talking about when you mention 2275xxx non-city package cars, or is the setup of #205 different from what you know?

Thank you for the vast knowledge and research that help all of us!

Best,
Ron