The value of the coupe

Ed G

Site Donor
Reaction score
Coupe value

So in conclusion- Biggest bang for the buck will come from a liquored up baby boomer from NZ??? :lol:

Enjoy your cars gents, they are more special than current values indicate. If you all hang on to them, in the very near future, me thinks 43K won't sound so far fetched.

corsachili

Reaction score
BlauMitWeiss

E-Type Jaguars, which in my opinion are one of the Top 10 prettiest cars ever to roll on wheels, share many components with other Jaguars of the era. The only thing "special" about them is the body. The 4.2L inline six, the gearbox, maybe the rear end, they can all be found in 3.8S, 150s, 140s, and a host of other models across the range. The English knew where to spend their money in order to differentiate, and it wasn't on running gear. That was how they kept the cost of the car low, and it was low compared to other available exotics.

As much as I love the E-Type, those on this board have heard me rant about their qualities, or lack thereof in certain areas. They have nice BHP, as much as 265 (claimed) toward the end of the 6 cyl. life, and they make great torque. They have good brakes, decent suspension (inboard discs, IRS rear, limited slip etc) and make a beautiful noise, but you'd be hard pressed to call it a "driver's car". Even spotting the E-Type a 40 BHP advantage I bet a CS/CSi would run rings around the British car on a racetrack, and for me, it's all about lap times.

Have I mentioned the build quality?

But damn, they are the greatest crumpet collector meant to man.

gpetrus

Reaction score
I think there is a time frame for cars of an era. 20 years ago the market for antique cars was for the cars from the 1920's to the 1950's. As the generation who had interest in those cars gets older (into their 70's) their interest in cars falls off, as do prices.

The really high end cars like the Duesenburgs, V12 Dual Cowl Phaeton Lincolns and Packards will always command a high price. But the market for the other cars of that era has fallen off dramatically.

My guess is 15 years from now the interest in cars from the 60's and 70's will fall in a similar way.

tripower

Reaction score
My guess is 15 years from now the interest in cars from the 60's and 70's will fall in a similar way.

I agree totally. I was explaining that to a fellow car nut not too long ago. The market for various decades autos follows the current retiree generation (right now the boomers). They pine for the cars of their youth. As they die or simply get too old to take care of their vintage toys the prices fall. Unfortunately that doesn't bode well for the E9 as that would indicate that these prices are peaking now.

hdx 120

Reaction score
What about the 2000 coupe bought mine in nov 2006 4 3500$ and four months later i can get twice that 8000$ This car is just going to go up because of its rarety Heck one just sold on e bay for 13600but it was the 2000cs that was in the james bond movie u only live twice. May 7 here i come late gonz

BlauMitWeiss

Reaction score
corsachili, all fair points, but still, I can't go down to the corner Jag dealer and get anything for an E-Type, nothing....maybe a coffee mug......wait, we don't have a jag dealer.

No Coffee cup!

Having said all that, I do want a jag....e-type.

tripower

Reaction score
What about the 2000 coupe bought mine in nov 2006 4 3500$ and four months later i can get twice that 8000$ This car is just going to go up because of its rarety Heck one just sold on e bay for 13600but it was the 2000cs that was in the james bond movie u only live twice. May 7 here i come late gonz

Do you have the link to that auction?

Erik

Site Donor
Reaction score
My 3 cents.

Regardless of the demand curve relative to collector age and muscle car mania, I think a couple of things bode well for long-term coupe value:

The e9 is widely thought to be one of the most attractive cars ever as evidenced in various modern car magazine surveys.

The coupe is not so collectible now that many do not suffer neglect and long-term deterioration. I've heard they rust even... thus reducing the number of solid specimens to the point of even greater "rarity".

The flexible nature of upgrades and maintenance parts and the truly enjoyable nature of the driving experience make for a classic that continues to appeal to those that do come to discover them. Especially fans of the marque who discover too that there is something besides the Bangle blandness out there.

In the end, you won't realize substantial gains on ivestment, the only true expression of value of the coupe is utility. Drive it.

gpetrus

Reaction score
Erik, in about a month when all the salt and calcium chloride is washed off the roads, I agree, the notion to simply "drive it" is the best way to appreciate the coupe's value.

BlauMitWeiss

Reaction score
"I agree, the notion to simply "drive it" is the best way to appreciate the coupe's value."

That is the best pun I have heard/seen in a very long time.
you are a clever person

blumax

(deceased)
Reaction score
Why a Coupe--and what is its worth?

As a 35 year continuous owner of E-9's with over 500,000 seat miles in these puppies--I admit to have never tired of wrapping myself into one of these beauties and hitting the trail--sometimes for thousands of miles--long story follows.

I add that having spent 7 years in the Detroit auto industry--was the owner of the first Plymouth Fury built from 1956 'til rust did it in at the end of 3 years--had a former wife with an original low mileage Mustang Fastback that I drove from Laguna Hills to Mammoth Mountain, about 360 miles--a brutal experience so was very happy to get it home and out of that piece of s*6%t--I doubt there are many serious drivers out there that "love the driving experience" in their Mustangs unless they are masochists--whereas--I've not tired of the Coupe(s) even when having an M-1 available as a daily option many years ago--would often go Coupe.

Have lived in Orange County California fort 38 years where exclusive, exotic, high end cars are a year round daily event--yet whenever I drive the BLUMAX there is always a comment or two or three as to how nice it is--so they are appreciated for their beauty and timeless design and reasonable performance even when stock--lat me share two or three stories.

In 2004 at the Huntington Beach Concours d'Elegance I was standing near four Coupes on display including the BLUMAX--there were several hundred other cars at this eventt--a younger man walks over--(most are to me today) and points to a silver CSL next to BLU and states--"I have to get one of those"--to which I responded--why would you want one of these old cars--his response was--"they are timeless in design, they are perfectly proportioned and the exude quality"--to which I commented , you sound like a designer --"I am"--name?--Marc Jordan--question --were you related to the Head of GM Design with the same last name--"Yes-my Father"--turns out Marc was with Mazda after several years at Opel--and was the principal designer of the Mazda 3, 6 and 7--all widely admired--enjoyed an hour and a half susequently admiring likely the finest existing example of a Pegaso and hearing it's story from the 80+year owner of same--Marc is now a member of the Ford PAG-Premier Automotive Group--wonder if they will survive?

I'm laying claim as one of the longest continuous terms of CS ownership or caregiver for the BLUMAX now since February 1972--so far no challenger as to number of seat miles--time in the saddle--anyone out there?

I have actively located, sorted and found new homes for several high quality dry bodied, unrestored CS's--many in the high 20's and a few in the 30's and one in the mid-forties--so I disagree when it is suggested they are destined to languish at 10-15K or so--

Another story--about 4 years ago I had received a 50K mile one owner, original 2800 CS--placed it with a banker who was building a very successful operation--he loaned the car to his Secretary for an errand and she managed to slightly prang the right front corner--it was repaired and later ended up in the wholesale auction--was purchased by a large Chevrolet Dealer--he found me as a local Coupe guy and stated that it was his goal to keep it original and that driving it had spoiled him to his collection of Corvettes and Chevies--just another convert--so I'm convinced that drivers will always appreciate the Coupe experience IF they ever get behind trhe wheel of a properly sorted, correctly maintained or properly restored example.

There is a buyer for that fine Coupe at or near its asking price of $43.5

JMT

tripower

Reaction score
Re: Why a Coupe--and what is its worth?

JMT

Nice stories but he still isn't getting 43.5 for that coupe.

G

Reaction score

tripower said:

JMT

Nice stories but he still isn't getting 43.5 for that coupe.

Dude why such a disbeliver ? $43k for some people is peanuts..
If someone is looking for a coupe in that original color combo and has $43k to spare then why wouldn't he buy it ?

On originality
Forgive me for being naive but why is 40 year old original paint better than a fresh new paint job! Low milage engine is irrelevant to price on a coupe they cost nothing to rebuild...On a porcshe or ferrari i would say low milage has relevance to price. Origal dryed out leather original cracking wood etc etc.. how is that better compared to newly redone? How can you verify if a nice looking original car does not have cancerous rust lurking behind the sheetmetal?
My opinion is that way to many people getting fed "BS' from the automotive industry..Buzz words..window sticker Matching numers etc..Its like getting fed "BS "by CNN ! Unless you are "MILLIONAIRE" car collecter who looks at his collection of cars while puffing on a cuban cigar and sipping courvoisier while his employee is dusting off his car its IRRELEVANT.

There are many board members who have in the past and recently finished up restos ,some ongiong and some owners with mint original cars...my bet is that... offer them $40k.. for their mint non original coupes .And they will refuse it....

I believe Kasbatts original post.was..if you feel so inclined rate your car and what would you sell it for...

I'll be the first
Rating, for now... 8.75 1972 3.0cs BETTER THAN ORIGINAL..lol
offer me today... $43.5k...I'd say keep your money and buy a Honda.
Peace
Giorgio

tripower

Reaction score

Wow, where do i begin?

Dude why such a disbeliver ? $43k for some people is peanuts..
If someone is looking for a coupe in that original color combo and has $43k to spare then why wouldn't he buy it ?

The people who think "$43K is peanuts" are usually wise enough to know a good deal when they see one. They could buy a CSL for that kind of money.

On originality
Forgive me for being naive but why is 40 year old original paint better than a fresh new paint job!

A vintage car's value is inherently based on three things; overall condition, originality and supply and demand. A car that is a 6-7 condition but all original (including original paint can be far more valuable than a 8-9 condition car with a re-spray and/or non-OEM parts. Re-sprays also hide conditions such as: accidents, rust, and poor maintenance that can give a potential buyer an idea on how the car was maintained throughout it's life.

Low milage engine is irrelevant to price on a coupe they cost nothing to rebuild...
On a porcshe or ferrari i would say low milage has relevance to price.

It applies to BMW's also, see above.... (A well maintained, low mileage, original engine trumps a high mileage rebuild any day of the week).

Origal dryed out leather original cracking wood etc etc.. how is that better compared to newly redone? How can you verify if a nice looking original car does not have cancerous rust lurking behind the sheetmetal?

It's the re-spray where I am worried about cancerous rust. The re-spray hides rust. With original paint I am either going to see it or it's probably not there.

My opinion is that way to many people getting fed "BS' from the automotive industry..Buzz words..window sticker Matching numers etc..

See above...orginality is not BS, it greatly affects the value of a vintage car.

Judging from your entire post, you simply don't know what you are talking about. Take some time to read up on what makes vintage cars valuable.

pj

Reaction score
Tripower,
G has 1 of the nicest coupes out there so keep it real man. Do you even have a coupe ( please don't take that the wrong way I am just asking). They are great cars albeit under-rated by joe-public , but talk to a euro car nut and they love them and 80% of them think a nice e9 is unobtainable at any cost. There is a market out there for coupes and it will get stronger as time goes on as the cars available drops every year.

PJ
73 csi

G

Reaction score
Hee Hee....Its not that I don't know what I'm talking about...I simply disagree where you seem to place all your importance in what I believe to be "insignificant details"
Not having a window sticker or matching numbers etc..Does not affect how a car drives..is enjoyed and appreciated ....The only people who have any business being concerned with this "BS" are Millionaire car collectors and snobs.......! We keep hearing the same buzz words over and over and everybody falls into the hype.
That car that's for sale should knock off $2.5k for not having the window sticker which gives better visibility and another $2.5k for not having the blue cloth in the toolbox..that gives better weight distribution !

tripower

Reaction score
Tripower,
G has 1 of the nicest coupes out there so keep it real man. Do you even have a coupe ( please don't take that the wrong way I am just asking). They are great cars albeit under-rated by joe-public , but talk to a euro car nut and they love them and 80% of them think a nice e9 is unobtainable at any cost. There is a market out there for coupes and it will get stronger as time goes on as the cars available drops every year.

PJ
73 csi

Yes, I do (72 CSI). So what does that mean if I didn't I wouldn't be able to criticize your bud?

tripower

Reaction score
Hee Hee....Its not that I don't know what I'm talking about...I simply disagree where you seem to place all your importance in what I believe to be "insignificant details"
Not having a window sticker or matching numbers etc..Does not affect how a car drives..is enjoyed and appreciated ....The only people who have any business being concerned with this "BS" are Millionaire car collectors and snobs.......! We keep hearing the same buzz words over and over and everybody falls into the hype.
That car that's for sale should knock off $2.5k for not having the window sticker which gives better visibility and another $2.5k for not having the blue cloth in the toolbox..that gives better weight distribution !

It's not where "I" place the importance it's where the MARKET places importance:

http://www.sportscarmarket.com/profiles/2006/October/German/index.html

It's what the MARKET finds desirable in vintage cars (and not just E9's either). The people selling this car are the ones emphasizing that it is a well preserved original car, as they see it as a selling point. This is something that the MARKET finds desirable.

I did not buy my coupe because I thought I would make a bunch (or ANY) money back on it one day, I bought it because it is a beautiful car and I wanted to have some fun with it, that's it. Too many guys here seem to be overly worried about the resale value of their cars. If you desire a car that will appreciate significantly over time then I say buy some late 60's American muscle car or a vintage Ferrari because the E9 coupe is not the car for you.

kasbatts

Site Donor
Reaction score
As you may have noticed the Gold coupe sold.
I got in touch with the gentleman selling the car and asked him to take a look at this string (which he did) his reply to me is as follows

Steven,

My computer apprehended your attachment so I don't know what it was.

I just posted the sale price on my website for all to see($42,000U.S.). That was the first offer and I thought it fair to both buyer and seller. I didn't want to alienate a buyer by trying to get the very last dollar and I didn't want to prolong the selling process for the owner.

I've read the posts:
For the fellow who said "look in Hemmings etc., average cars go for half that amount." He's right.........but this is not an average car.

For the fellow who said something like, original paint is better. Yes, I agree. Find me one with original paint that looks and drives like this car with the same 60,000 miles and I'll show you a big sale result. I don't think most people really understand how rare 35 year old cars with original paint are.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,
Brian Peters
Motoring Investments

Any comments tri power?