These People Seem Nice

JayWltrs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
No, get a new radiator - they are readily available and you don't want to risk over-heating. For some reason, e9 radiators are short-lived. Last time I took one to a radiator shop for a quote on re-coring, they advised replacing rather than repairing when I told them the price of a new one.

Welcome to the forum! We need more Jays.

Taking your advice.

JayWltrs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hi Jay -- Welcome to the obsession. The Hack Mechanic recommends replacing the entire cooling system as one of the first things to do when buying an old car that you would like to make reliable. See here: https://smile.amazon.com/Memoirs-Ha...519406374&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=hach+mechanic Note that Rob is one of us.

I think I've bought everything everyone has referred to me, even this book! Your suggestion was prescient. Someone had tried to seal the thermostat without a gasket, or, more precisely a "silicon caulk" gasket -- might have worked a bit longer if they'd finished the loop. I'm still not sure if the primary coolant bath is coming from there or the water pump or the hoses, but it needs a full sorting. Getting to the outer reaches of my below-hack skills.

Tony.dreamer

Raider of the lost parts
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Congratulations Jay,
What a beautiful color! Like you, I am also infatuated with E9’s. The folks on this forum are amazing! May be we meet sometime and chat about our coupes!
Best wishes!

Tony P.

JayWltrs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Congratulations Jay,
What a beautiful color! Like you, I am also infatuated with E9’s. The folks on this forum are amazing! May be we meet sometime and chat about our coupes!
Best wishes!

Tony P.

PM Sent (I think-still figuring the site out)

mpgandco

Reaction score
Hi Chris
Trying to get back into it,after taking a few years off. Still have my #078 Jade Green Coupe that I have now owned for 38 years . # 078 Jade Green on a Coupe is Very Rare as it is technically a 1975 color.They didn't import these cars in 1975, so very rare to find one that came this way from the factory in the US. To be Jade Green it has to be a very late 1974 production date.You will see Jade on BMW 530 I's and 75/76 2002's

Jay,Congrats and good luck with the car!

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Mike has the second from last US Auto VIN but it was built Dec 18, the last one in my database was 12/27 as the they aren't sequential.

JayWltrs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hi Chris
Trying to get back into it,after taking a few years off. Still have my #078 Jade Green Coupe that I have now owned for 38 years . # 078 Jade Green on a Coupe is Very Rare as it is technically a 1975 color.They didn't import these cars in 1975, so very rare to find one that came this way from the factory in the US. To be Jade Green it has to be a very late 1974 production date.You will see Jade on BMW 530 I's and 75/76 2002's

Jay,Congrats and good luck with the car!

This one is November 1974, but I haven't dug in beyond that. It still has the "74" with 11 dots around it on the head. It appears from other posts there's a place to register it, which I will figure out later.

Mike, After your message, I looked at prior posts for photos of your car, and your Jade Green Coupe is stunning. We'll see if I can get this one anywhere close to that. As nice as that car is, my jaw dropped seeing that Bat. What a car. It is so extraordinary it would make me nervous to be responsible for its care and preservation.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Mike,

I have your build date from BMW along with a lot more. The silver VIN sticker in the door is approximate and may have been in production then but completed Dec 18th and title delivered to Hoffman in Germany a week or so later. The Registry will be available soon, it’s a work in progress.

Chris

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I have friend here in Georgia who owns an Agave 74. Greens are so unusual on BMW's . Congrats on purchase. Just $mile a lot.....

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Gary, I didn’t think Agave was offered in 1974, BMW had moved on with Amazon and Jade.

I never knew for sure what the color was. In the registry I think is said Agave. The sticker is missing so maybe Amazon? What do you think?

Attachments

• IMG_2512.jpg
    IMG_2512.jpg
    507.8 KB · Views: 334

Dohn

Reaction score
Yeah, that looks exactly like the color that is peeking out in a few discreet areas of my black, formerly Amazon Green, car. Previous owner painted it; must have decided it wasn't easy being green...

Sooner

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Chris, give me a phone number and I will fill you in. An interesting story and history.
Richard