Think Of The Repercussions If This Happens

Isn’t it the case where if there was cost effective mass storage capability then utilization of those turbines (and solar) could go up closer to 100% (still dependent on wind and sunlight). This would enable utilities to time-shift the renewable energy to whwre it would be of most benefit.

I hope technology addresses this over the next 5-10 years.
It's happening. Tesla is deploying mass storage systems. Here's one at Moss Landing (Elkhorn slough) in Northern California, but there are many others already in Texas, California, Hawaii and others.

telsa-megapack-moss-landing-video--2048x1081.jpg

2035 allows for hybrids?

Many cars are parked on the street and don't have access to chargers.

Thank goodness usa passed the infrastructure bill which is going to build a lot more charging stations.

Ya, I'm hoping batteries will get better soon.

For diesel... I think the answer is green hydrogen.

That's great. Shouldn't be any more threats of black/brown outs in CA. Lots of battery storage and more people are migrating out than are coming into the state (at least from a legal resident perspective - don't know about the illegal entries).

I've spent a good bit of time in Kauai recently, and a few weeks on the big island early this year (drove nearly 2K miles while on the BI). Didn't see any battery installations for electron storage on either island (for what are probably obvious reasons, I avoid Oahu!).

That's great. Shouldn't be any more threats of black/brown outs in CA. Lots of battery storage and more people are migrating out than are coming into the state (at least from a legal resident perspective - don't know about the illegal entries).

I've spent a good bit of time in Kauai recently, and a few weeks on the big island early this year (drove nearly 2K miles while on the BI). Didn't see any battery installations for electron storage on either island (for what are probably obvious reasons, I avoid Oahu!).
I don't think the battery installations are at the critical mass yet to prevent black/brown outs in California (or Texas), but it looks like a good start.

"In Hawaii, the Kauai Island Utility Cooperative (KIUC) is now drawing energy from 272 Tesla power packs to provide electricity after dark. While the island previously relied on solar and other renewable energy during the day, it had no way to store the sun’s power after it went down."

Hmmm, we had an all time high 52.000 MW peak consumption less than two months ago...the state was begging for conservation during that heat wave to avoid blackouts.

You can still buy a model S--for 109k base price. But standard big battery, AWD, etc. Ours was RWD, smaller battery, was about 65k less 7500 tax credit., which is expired.

And our range was definitely diminished by now. They paid us FULL retail. The used car market is still nuts.
SC
If the Ian storm weren't a natural disaster I would have said you had that loss arranged :)...

Problem w the Tesla megapack is that it’s lithium ion, which is great for mobile applications where weight and density are critical. im not sure it’s great for stationary backup systems, due to the challenges of scaling up the required materials by!
1000x or more. You need at least 75 mega packs to power 10,000 homes for 24 hours (round numbers).

Some of the emerging technology, like sodium ion, might be better because it can scale on a much more massive level and is something like an order of magnitude cheaper per unit of energy storage.

2035 allows for hybrids?

Many cars are parked on the street and don't have access to chargers.

Thank goodness usa passed the infrastructure bill which is going to build a lot more charging stations.

Ya, I'm hoping batteries will get better soon.

For diesel... I think the answer is green hydrogen.
California will allow plug in hybrids only as part of their “electric only” rule in 2035. I haven’t read how many miles range they will need to qualify. Of course everyone would need to have at least a 110 outlet to charge them at night or have a robust charging infrastructure in place.
The Feds have a goal of 50% electric by 2030.

I don't think the battery installations are at the critical mass yet to prevent black/brown outs in California (or Texas), but it looks like a good start.

"In Hawaii, the Kauai Island Utility Cooperative (KIUC) is now drawing energy from 272 Tesla power packs to provide electricity after dark. While the island previously relied on solar and other renewable energy during the day, it had no way to store the sun’s power after it went down."

Thanks Dick, I've seen the solar panel 'field' many times, as part of it is alongside a road we travel a dozen times or so on each visit. The battery area is obviously well back from the highway as depicted in the video. GLAD to see it is there and functioning well, as we appreciate having electricity after sundown.

Gary

Back