Thoughts on 3 piece custom "slotted alloys" (Pic Inside)

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I'm having fun with Photoshop and day dreaming my commute home. There are several custom wheel builders that will convert OEM wheels to 3 piece. I spoke to a local builder yesterday that uses BBS lips and barrels. I threw this together in Photoshop, and stuck the fake wheel on Brendan's car (hopefully this is okay Brendan).

In reality fabricating this wheel would be challenging, as the metal on the factory wheel face is only about .25" thick. A support ring would need to be tig welded to the back side. Still doable- just expensive.

The example below uses a more vintage styled angled lip, and is a 16" wheel. Given the factory offset, I don't think you could get more than 2" of "Dish" out of these wheels. I'm not sold on the concept. This is just for fun given that the wheels would cost a few thousand dollars. Group by anyone? :D

18932331854_16491fc48f_o.jpg

Round 2:
19118912214_a5567a8a87_b.jpg

Last edited:

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I think they would look better with a stepped lip versus the angled lip...

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Not a fan of that design. A 16" or 17" version of the stock slotted wheel might look cool though.

kurtd

Site Donor
Reaction score
Also not a fan, the polished rim vs the painted center looks odd and the wheel still looks small as the focus is on the center

02m2

Reaction score
Candidly....not fish or foul
Go three piece BBS if you want an exposed hardware look.
Go stock if that is what you are looking for.
Currently working wheel design for my build...thinking deep dish (no step) alpina look a like with no lugs and center locks. Appropriate offset to accommodate big brakes.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
No reason not to be candid considering the wheels are fake, and won't be built. I'm still going to PhotoShop different version, which I think will look better.

loloe13

Reaction score
+1
always imagine a 16" version of the factory slotted wheel may be nice.
I bought these 3-piece BBS 16" staggered set a while ago, still have not tried them on yet
Gavin

Not a fan of that design. A 16" or 17" version of the stock slotted wheel might look cool though.

Attachments

• BBS RS BMW Lorinser bbslor-2e.jpg
    BBS RS BMW Lorinser bbslor-2e.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 209

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
That is a step lip. I suppose you mean the traditional step lip. and not the straight flanged motorsport style.

Yep. I'm going to redo the image with the OEM lip plus a step lip. If you look at the image above, the OEM lip is gone.

'69 2800cs

Reaction score
I think it's a cool idea, a good way to do something "different" but true to the original.

The challenge with any rendering is that it won't show the depth of the new wheel....a stock 14" center inside spun aluminum outers with a deep dish....that will look cool. I'd go to 15" diameter, stagger them and get as much width as possible under the fenders.

I have 14" weds....kinda like having a 14x7 CSL style center and spun outers.

Attachments

• IMG_1323.jpg
    IMG_1323.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 167

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Overhaulin'

Chip Foose is known for making wheels for his creations that are often very similar to the originals but much larger diameter.
I wonder how 16" OEM look wheel would look utilizing the same chrome dish center?

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I'll PhotoShop a 16" OEM also, plus the square dished wheel. It is true that the depth is what makes them cool. I'll post some examples of converted wheels to showcase the "cool factor".

If anyone has a hi res pic of a clean slotted alloy with good chrome, please share!

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Updated - This is a two piece wheel, using a 17" BBS RC090 "style 5" barrel. I reduced the fender gap to coincide with the 17" wheel. I also went with an standard lip versus a high shine. It matches the dirty wheel better.

19118912214_a5567a8a87_b.jpg

Reactions: JDH

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I think it works better with the basket weaves.
Try just upsizing OEM wheel and see what that looks like.
Just my opinion

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
IMHO 2 styles trying to occupy the same space and too busy for me, the polished, bolted rim clashes with the hub cap. Either expand the original wheel like Stan said or remove the cap and go open lug.