Three Webers

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Some of us, uh, more mature, members of the forum are not particularly keen on "use the search" since we are not good at this ourselves.

Definitely noted! In my opinion, you can never be too redundant on a tech forum. You won't find a first response from me to "search". I was just fascinated by the fact that this thread brought up some new discussion points.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
I’ve had dcoes in many cars and never found the cold start enrichment device to have meaningful value. In contrast, I think a cable that moved a thin shim to keep the throttles slightly off their stops would be mucho useful in cold climates.

shanon

Reaction score
Gruppe:

Excellent thread, cheers!

Indeed it seems like everyone's set-ups & solutions are unique. I am familiar with DCOEs have been gathering the 'bits' for a long time. The motor has had triples before and it was a beautiful, but this time it will have 45s for greater tunabilty. I will be using a '3x2' manifold set-up acquired many moons ago. As I am about to embark into this conversion (finally!), I have a couple 'pre-trigger' questions before getting back on the phone with the supplier very soon.

1) Linkage: There is a choice of linkage: right or left? .....Thinking left... https://www.piercemanifolds.com/product_p/pm3701-l.htm
2) Choice of mount style? I like this one - https://www.piercemanifolds.com/product_p/99005.146.htm
3) Parts suggestion/guidance: AFR gauge/kit, TPS and 02 sensor? (are they all in the same kit?)
4) Manifold question: In my old parts archive pic below (parts off site currently), are these holes mount locations for the linkage hardware/eyebolts? circled mount appears to need repair/tap/helicoil..
1595227508894.png

It's my goal to create a DIY system that I can self diagnose/tune with a synchronizer, AFR gauge, and...?!
The The car travels from sea level to 8k feet and has some track shoes..."California Dreamin"

Thanks in advance for any advise and look forward to sharing my conversion 'experience' ;)

shanon

Reaction score
I do not know... trying to sort out as many fine points/details as possible before commencing surgery ;)

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
1. Neither, those are cheap and will doom you to frustration. I prefer a coupling setup to the crossbar and arm setup. Easier to sync and more stable, but not as sexy. Eurocarb sells quality linkage parts:

2. Negatory, soft mounts are not needed, will also sentence you to frustration and mental torture, a simple base gasket is the way to go:

3. I have the Innovate afr gauge setup, has worked great for 5 years or so

4. If the larger one is threaded then yes, it should be the vacuum port for the brake booster. Would go in the #2 position with the others at 1 & 3. If you use the coupling linkage it can go in #1 spot. Show a close up pic of that hole.

My $.02

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Are they 40's or 45's. Another issue could be chokes. But like Steve and others says get them synced first. Buy some idle jets and buy the drill set so you can take smaller jets and make them bigger. I'm cheap. Pierce Manifolds in CA has some good DVD's on Tuning and a great supply of jets and parts. I had fuel pump problems with my 45's on a much modded engine. You can disconnect the fuel pump at the carbs and get a bucket. Measure how much fuel you get in 1 minute in the bucket. IIRC it should be over 1/2 gallon to 3/4 gallons. Keep following Steve. He helped me immensely. Wouldn't be on the road without his help. He should be getting a consultant fee or Weber tuning. Really!

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I'll second (or is it third) Steve's comments about the linkage. I've only had my engine running about an hour with the Pierce linkage and was already very frustrated. It tends to slip, and appears not to be designed well to hold synchronization with any accuracy over time. If I keep my triple setup, I plan to switch to coupling the throttle tabs.

DennisLJacob

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Rod, you mentioned the car came from Colorado and you are at 700 feet. You also mentioned the carbs were setup and jetted for that elevation. It is likely that you are running very lean. When I moved my twin DCOE (edited damn spell check) carb 2002 from sea level to Colorado my car ran rich due to the higher elevation and thinner air. The opposite should be happening to you.

Last edited:

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Rod, you mentioned the car came from Colorado and you are at 700 feet. You also mentioned the carbs were setup and jetted for that elevation. It is likely that you are running very lean. When I moved my twin DCOE (edited damn spell check) carb 2002 from sea level to Colorado my car ran rich due to the higher elevation and thinner air. The opposite should be happening to you.

@DennisLJacob,

I presume that @Rod Cole has resolved his issues. @shanon dug up this 2yo thread to continue the discussion on linkages.