Time to make a 2008 CS Calendar!

jhjacobs

Reaction score
PLEASE TAKE A LOOK AT:

http://s198.photobucket.com/albums/.../?action=view&current=1-1--30CSi1972-1024.jpg

If I have done this correctly you should be able to scroll through the photos forward and backward. Each photo has a number like (8-2) which signifies the 2nd entry from forum member 8. We should be able to use these two number combinations for voting. I propose that we allow people to have 100 total voting points and they can allocate them to any photo(s) they want.

You can also find the photos simply by going to www.photobucket.com and searching for jhjacobs. When you find me there are two albums; choose the E9Coupe Calendar album and your will see thumbnails. Click on the "view all" button and all album pages will be brought up.

I will keep adding photos until it is time to vote. We will publish formal instructions at that time.

PLEASE REMEMBER, MOST PHOTOS ARE VERY HIGH QUALITY AND I HAVE REDUCED THEM TO 1024 PIXELS (MAX) FOR EXPEDIENCE IN VIEWING / LOADING. WHEN PRINTED THEY SHOULD TURN OUT REALLY NICE!

Misterchinn

Reaction score
What's the cut-off date again? December 2nd? I'm working on one, if weather and schedule cooperate.

Question: my coupe isn't an orignial color... it's supposed to be granatrot met. P.O. painted it a cross between that and malaga... just wondering if that would bother the purists out there... wouldn't want to ruin anyone's month staring at my car for 30 days... maybe I can photoshop it granatrot!

jhjacobs

Reaction score
We really haven't set a cut off date. Printing calendars can take 1-4 weeks depending on the source. I'll need at least a few days to build the artwork and place and order. I'll also need time to ship them out. In a perfect world we would have everything done by Dec 1. However, we live in a coupe world so Dec 9 should be good enough.

I spoke with Kinko's about doing print on demand and unfortunately it is not possible. I will explore some of the other options, some of which were less expensive, and report back.

I also want to encourage submission of great rust shots and before & after shots. We have some great examples of beautiful coupes but I think we should celebrate project cars and daily drivers too!

iconoclast6

Reaction score
I don't think we should use e9 member submissions of their own cars for each month.

Perhaps for the calender cover (front and rear) we could use a collage of other pics.

If we decide on cover design and monthly pics, perhaps we could get Kinko's or another vendor to print 1 copy for us to consider, and then interested parties could order their own copies directly. This way JJ doesn't have to get tied up with collecting $$ and distribution....

jhjacobs

Reaction score
I have located a company that seems to have a reasonable program for doing calendars: http://www.createphotocalendars.com/pricing.htm

Based on the level of interest so far I think we are looking at 20-50 and the price is about $12-$13 plus shipping and material. Adding envelops and postage (domestic / international) we probably talking about $16-$18 each of real cost. Without an exact count I would need to factor in some buffer for over-purchase / lost damaged in shipping, etc. My best guess is that we would be looking at a fixed cost of $650 (assuming a run of 50) If we purchase 50, and ship only 30 @ $25 then we would be at break even. If we ship all 50 @ $25 then we should produce a $500 surplus.

I am more than willing to foot the bill again to make the project take off but I don't want to run this project so close to the wire cost-wise like I did on the badges - mainly because I think we may not sell all of the calendars and they have a 2-4 month shelf life (aside from minimual collector status in 30 years)

I don't think we should use e9 member submissions of their own cars for each month.
Is this a typo? I sort of thought this was the idea behind collecting a selecting photos.

iconoclast6

Reaction score
Hi JJ,

Yup that was a typo. I DO think we should only use e9 member owned cars for monthly pics...

Should those of us who are interested send $$ now?

Thansk,

Chuck

jhjacobs

Reaction score
Should those of us who are interested send $$ now?
No need to do this. I have no problem fronting the money and then collecting after the fact. The most important thing now is a representative count. With the badges we had about 40-50 people raising their hands to get them. When it was time to order 60 people ordered and many purchased more than one. I will post a new thread to count calendar requests.

Given the only moderate rate of submissions I think that it could be possible to do a calendar that includes at least one car from each submitter. I spent some time with EZPhotoCalendar last night and it seem like editiing will be a bit of a hassle. Most of the software packages want a nice 5x7 format image. The software I tested allows for different page layouts (1 landscape, 1 Portrait + 2 small LS, 2 PT, 4 small LS, etc). I've noticed that a number of the submissions have been "edited & cropped" so I must go in again and make adjustments or digially mat them.

So, again, does anyone have experience doing this type of thing who would be willing to help? I feel like I can pull it off with some degree of aestetic quality but I can't guarentee "badge-like" results again :?

One more question for opinions: Each month can have annotation (I think). I was wondering about the notion of pulling old BMW advertising lines like:

Bavarian Creme
Think Fast
Dreikugelwirbelwannenbrennraum
The Ultiamte Driving Maching
...and others. We've had lots of forum tag suggestions like:
E9-Driven
Rust Busters

iconoclast6

Reaction score
My thought would be to submit photos at the highest resolution possible. The vendor creating the calendars will resize them while keeping the best image...

Dave B

Reaction score
e9 2008 calendar

Gents,

I'll take one. I have submitted a few pics. At the moment mine is possibly the only road going e9 in Scotland. If a picture was selected that might be a suitable caption! I say "at the moment" because I know Malc and DOB will make an appearance on the Scottish tarmac soon-ish ( this coming year Malc? )

Next year ( after the council stop putting salt on the roads all winter ) I will do a road trip and get some nicer car pics at Edinburgh Castle, Loch Ness, St Andrews, etc.

Malc - we should get the cars together once DOB is reincarnated, and do a photoshoot. How about sideways at Knockhill for inclusion in the 2009 Calendar? :lol:

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
JJ,

Not intending to hijack this thread, but did you ever get my emails about the grille badge? I sent you a paypal payment but never received a badge. Do you still have any left?

Dan

jhjacobs

Reaction score
Dan - no, I didn't get your emails; perhaps SPAM filters ate them but I have been getting email from you all along. I was afraid something like this might happen. Anyway, I have a solution for you to get a badge and I will contact you via PM.

steve in reno

Reaction score
2008 calendar

Pic's/bio sent
Weather broke enough for photo shoot.
No way to get enough of Tahoe into pic to matter, and Hoover Dam is too far away!
I would like 2 calendars, maybe additional. Will use as x-mas gifts.
Will try to take more pic's in anticipation of the next year's calendar.
Thanks for the effort!!!!
steve in reno

steve in reno

Reaction score
2008 calendar

Quote:
Will use as x-mas gifts.

I rather doubt I'll be able to get the out in time with voting, printing, shipping and then reshipping. We'll give it a good try though.