Tips for the weekend warrior restorer

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
  • Break your work into smaller independent projects that have a "completion" so you can check it off a list.
  • Always have at least two separate projects going at the same time in case you run into a problem or need a part, then you can switch over to the other project.
  • Remember that all projects require a finite amount of hours to complete so going out in the garage and only working for an hour still takes an hour off of the total time, making it just as valuable as any other time spent.
  • Don't short cut things just to finish. I step back and imagine how I would feel about what I'm currently working six months later. Will i look back and think, " I should've taken that extra time and done it right"?
  • Put your tools away every time you stop working.
  • Buy a good rechargeable head light (light strapped to your head). Once you start using one you can't work without it!
  • If you're having trouble getting off the couch and going into the garage, just think about getting up and putting your shoes on instead. :cool:
  • Take LOTS of photos. You don't have to use all of them, but it's a snapshot in time...

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
  • Always have at least two separate projects going at the same time in case you run into a problem or need a part, then you can switch over to the other project.

Is there an upper limit on that? ;)

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
You guys are so worried about limits. Geez. ;)

And Erik, I bet if you posted your photos we'd look at every one of them! Are they hosted somewhere?

mulberryworks

Mr. Fixity
Site Donor
Reaction score
A good radio / CD player is welcome company.

I'm prefering internet radio these days. I have an iPad that sits on a small shelf taking up no bench space and B&O bluetooth speaker above (bought at half price in a store closing) and I don't have to fiddle with the radio or CDs. I get to choose the type of music and the streaming services choose the tunes. I love my CDs, but they don't come into the garage.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
As you are working, remember the immortal words of inspector Harry Callahan: "A man's got to know his limitations." Even professional mechanics farm out portions of their work. Plan ahead for the stuff you need to send to others.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
And also ask yourself "do you feel lucky?" !!

As you are working, remember the immortal words of inspector Harry Callahan: "A man's got to know his limitations." Even professional mechanics farm out portions of their work. Plan ahead for the stuff you need to send to others.

Last edited:

Gazz

Site Donor
Reaction score

Then again you may be surprised at what you can do with research, patience, determination and swearing. After all this is about DIY.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
do it in your garage or sure close by.... if you have to drive half a hour it will soon be boring....and delayed.
I second this one! My car is currently 2 hours away from my home and office. I have stacks of parts and bits (independent projects) that I work on at home to keep some momentum going. But I make lists of things I want to look at, photo, and/or do when I go visit the car. This has helped me greatly - it gives me organized reasons to get out to the remote garage.

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I can now add another item to the list from first hand experience. It kind of goes along with Chris Ohmess' "A man has to know his limitations."

- Know when you are getting too tired and either start paying double attention or don't hesitate to call it a day!

Prime example: I had been working overtime the last few weekends as I have to finish the mechanicals of the car asap because of an impending move. I have the front of the car jacked up high so I can easily slide under and work there. In order to go topside in the (empty) engine bay I had a small ladder next to the fender and would use that to climb over the fender and into the bay. Last night, after another 10-11 hours straight, I knew I was tired but still rushing to get as much done as possible, I was getting out of the bay too fast and my foot missed the ladder. My whole body fell overboard and in the process, my shin hit either the wheel lug bolts or the disk brake (the wheel was off). Next thing I know, I'm on the floor with blood all over the place. After several moment of trying to get my brain rebooted, I realized the bolts (or disk, not sure) had cut a serious gash in my leg and it was pissing blood all over the place. Fortunately my wife was doing some gardening nearby so she rushed me some old t-shirts to wrap around it and try to stop the bleeding. She then took me to the emergency room. Fortunately, when you are either bleeding or having chest pains, you get to the front of the line in the ER. So, 14 stitches and many precious lost hours later, I can add one more tip for weekend warrior restorers! When you get tired and you are working with stuff against which your skin and body do not have a fighting chance... hang up the torque wrench and go get a well deserved end of the day beer!

PS: I was thinking of posting the gruesome pics to illustrate but some may not appreciate the results.

Last edited:

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
So sorry to hear that, Bo. Hope everything heals up quickly and painlessly. At least we all get a great tip out of it. :)

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I can now add another item to the list from first hand experience. It kind of goes along with Chris Ohmess' "A man has to know his limitations."

- Know when you are getting too tired and either start paying double attention or don't hesitate to call it a day!

Prime example: I had been working overtime the last few weekends as I have to finish the mechanicals of the car asap because of an impending move. I have the front of the car jacked up high so I can easily slide under and work there. In order to go topside in the (empty) engine bay I had a small ladder next to the fender and would use that to climb over the fence and into the bay. Last night, after another 10-11 hours straight, I knew I was tired but still rushing to get as much done as possible, I was getting out of the bay too fast and my foot missed the ladder. My whole body fell overboard and in the process, my chin hit either the wheel lug bolts or the disk brake (the wheel was off) and next thing I know, I'm on the floor with blood all over the place. After several moment of trying to get my brain rebooted, I realized the bolts (or disk) had cut a serious gash in my leg and it was pissing blood all over the place. Fortunately my wife was doing some gardening nearby so she brought me some old tshirts to wrap around it and try to stop the bleeding. She then took me to the emergency room. Fortunately, when you are either bleeding or having chest pains, you get to the front of the line. So 14 stitches later, I am adding this latest tip for weekend warrior restorers! When you get tired and you are working around stuff against which your skin and body do not have a fighting chance... hang up the torque wrench and go get a well deserved end of the day beer!

PS: I have the gruesome pics to illustrate but some may not appreciate the results.

Yeah, most of us are not young Turks anymore, and we need to take that into account.

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Yeah, most of us are not young Turks anymore, and we need to take that into account.
Although in this case, when you do a particular set of motions over and over, and your brain goes into autopilot mode, if the ladder has moved, it doesn't matter what age you are. It's going to hurt.

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Thanks for the good wishes guys!

I think every now and then it is good to get a wrist slap to remind us that then dealing with machinery it's all to easy to start getting complacent and let your guards down as you get distracted by other things. Such as impending deadlines.