Tool Kit Auction

Oldbmwcoupes

Reaction score
Haha Haha. Too funny Dave. I got $400 for the tool kit out of my 535is race car. It bought some nice rubber that I’ve had far more enjoyment from. The difference in valuation of items is baffling. One man’s trash.... I’m sure many will consider my loss of a tool kit not nearly worth the $400 I didn’t really need.

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
If that was the point, I don't think any of us would have one of these hanging from our trunk lids. I remember the first set of pliers with my 2002 thinking "what crap"....
it's OK for spare fuses and spark plugs.....after all , it doesn't take much space ...... but better modern tools in a bag in the trunk for road repairs.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
My friends made fun of my tool kit, until on 2 separate group drives I roadside repaired a broken battery cable for friends' E-type and a fried fuel pump relay socket on a Porsche 911 turbo with my small red screwdriver, the waterpump pliers, and the other pliers, whatever they are called.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
would never use one tool of that "crap/cheap" toolset
My JHWilliams and MAC wrenches are all much thicker/stiffer that those in the E9 kit, which is usually an asset. But every now and then only a thin wrench are can do the job. And no, bicycle BB and pedal wrenches are usually too thin. So yes they are not very good, but for a road-side quick fix or some specialty jobs the Heyco tools work just fine. I think that’s all They were ever intended for.

John

Last edited:

DWMBMW

Site Donor
Reaction score
Although not official BMW tools, eventually you will need these for roadside repairs if you drive your coupe (I keep them in my glove compartment).

A small screwdriver to tighten the grub screw on your ignition cylinder to keep it from spinning and a toothpick to wedge in the emergency flasher for a temp fix when it keeps popping out.

IMG_0253.jpg

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
$600 and many days to go. Any bets on if this tool kit will break $1000? I hope e24 took kits follow the rise in value

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
Although not official BMW tools, eventually you will need these for roadside repairs if you drive your coupe (I keep them in my glove compartment).

A small screwdriver to tighten the grub screw on your ignition cylinder to keep it from spinning and a toothpick to wedge in the emergency flasher for a temp fix when it keeps popping out.

View attachment 128158
The original tiny screws holding the cilinder were originally dabbed with red paint/glue. Why not stick them back in place using some loctite? It comes in various grades: the "take a blow-torch-out" variant, but there is also the reversible variant that just adds that little bit of extra friction.

this image is from my car while disassembling the wiring harness. Only later i realized that in the top middle of the pic the grub screw's red paint is still visible, although a tad out-focus.

20200606_205019 red paint dot on cilinder lock screw.jpg
20200606_205020.jpg

Last edited:

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Don't slam the trunk loaded with tools.

50 YO plastic pretty brittle.

Still not sure the diff in the cases with the bmw repops (which I bought)

boonies

Site Donor $$
Reaction score

I will admit I am. Thinking about buying a reproduction case, bit don’t think I would put any of the heavy tools in it…

Last edited:

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score

Another helpful hint is that the area under the tool kit is smaller than the area under the rear parcel shelf because of the slope of the trunk lid. Thus, a cooler that will just fit under the rear parcel shelf will nevertheless crack your tool kit if left further forward in the trunk after extracting a nice cold beer.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Another helpful hint is that the area under the tool kit is smaller than the area under the rear parcel shelf because of the slope of the trunk lid. Thus, a cooler that will just fit under the rear parcel shelf will nevertheless crack your tool kit if left further forward in the trunk after extracting a nice cold beer.
Or as I learned an upright wine bottle put a hole in my original one. I have the repop and it is much more robust, for now I keep all the tools in it with no issues. With the original one I didn’t.

Oldbmwcoupes

Reaction score
I think we are all anxious/curious to see what a top notch tool kit brings. It’s a point of interest regardless of whether you value yours functional or “display” worthy. One of my favorite items in all of my cars has been the tool kit that come in BMWs. I’ve used almost every kit in every car - especially the 10mm (battery cable stuff). It’s sad to see the loss of tool kits (and spare tires, etc) in modern BMWs.