Trans-cont E9 road trip + carb altitude talk..

Vbigdog

Site Donor
Reaction score
Any interest in a trans-USA E9 road trip ?

Was thinking of driving (either direction) from the North East / Boston / New York area, to California via the Northern route. Shipping the Coupe in the opposite direction.

6 or 7 days, relatively easy pace. Possibly ask the Hack Mechanic to join and write about the trip in Road & Track ? ( or Playboy?)

Just a nice plain old road trip.

Thoughts and commentary most welcome.

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Any interest in a trans-USA E9 road trip ?

Was thinking of driving (either direction) from the North East / Boston / New York area, to California via the Northern route. Shipping the Coupe in the opposite direction.

6 or 7 days, relatively easy pace. Possibly ask the Hack Mechanic to join and write about the trip in Road & Track ? ( or Playboy?)

Just a nice plain old road trip.

Thoughts and commentary most welcome.

I did it solo one time. It was fun, novel and exciting. Likely much more fun in a group.
Question: cost to ship a car one way in covered transport?
Comment. Would be really could to tie it in with O'fest, Legends of the Autobahn orTarga California.

2014 probably won't work for me but 2015 is possible

Vbigdog

Site Donor
Reaction score
Question: cost to ship a car one way in covered transport?
I've requested a shipping quote from Intercity for 4 Coupes, San Francisco to Boston. If Intercity is good enough for Wayne Carini, they're good enough for me.

Comment. Would be really could to tie it in with O'fest, Legends of the Autobahn

Yes, would be great to tie the trip to a West Coast event.

Stan, you need to promise to drive faster than 56 mph. :grin:

Last edited:

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
"Stan, you need to promise to drive faster than 56 mph. "

With a reliable fuel pump, that can be managed. After Vintage at Saratoga the car died and the new fuel pump works wonderfully! Ask John (aka Peyton Place), we were doing 80+ from Great Barrington to NH

shanon

Reaction score
hmm...

This trans-con 'gumball' run might coincide well with an event idea I am conjuring up.

;-)

kwyjibo

Site Donor
Reaction score
Tom, there is a good chance I could really go for this... depending on the timing.
Are co-pilots such as Nani or Gryphon coming?

Vbigdog

Site Donor
Reaction score
Tom, there is a good chance I could really go for this... depending on the timing.
Are co-pilots such as Nani or Gryphon coming?
Nani and Gryphon are the security guards for the group.

Outstanding. At this point, simply gauging interest. As Stan mentioned, likely not feasible for 2014, but would very much like to get it organized for 2015. Theme: just an easy going, fun road trip. I'll plan for a few extra points on the license next year.

johanaxelson

Reaction score
I have actually been thinking about shipping my car over and taking a leisurely drive around the US.

But I would take maybe 2 months to do it.

Just need to save up some cash first. And get the car finished...

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
A Tour - Probably 2-3 weeks

A northern route going west in late september followed by the southern route going east?

Boston (optional side trip to Vintage Sports & Racing), stop and Hemings Museum in VT through NY to the Werke Shop in Libertyville, out to Wisconsin to see Luis, the black hills Mount Rushmore, due west to Yellowstone, see Old Faithful, northwest to Seattle, visit Sven, Alan, Pete etc, south to San Francisco, stop for a tune up at Don Lawrence's shop then down the coast to Coupe King, check in with HBChris, try to schedule it such that we spend saturday morning at Cars & Coffee then to La Jolla independent, say hi to Carl, buy parts, I 10 east, Albuquerque, visit Walter White's grave, the Texas panhandle, Houston, say hi to Afeustel, New Orleans Steve and gumbo, up the coast to Savannah, sit in Forest Gump's bench, Atlanta to see rsporsche, SC to BMW Zentrum then home....

Just a thought

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I'd love to do something like this also, espescially since I am getting my car uber-roadworthy for the drive to Amelia Island next month. Here is some inspiration if you haven't read it, there is some e9 content (pictures and a drive) in the New Orleans chapter at the bottom:

http://www.roadsterroadtrip.com/index.php/readfromstart

A stop to the BMW factory in So. Carolina like he did for Nissan would be a cool PR opportunity.

Last edited:

TodB

Reaction score
trip

2015 sounds more realistic to me. If we could fill a truck going west...

Sounds like more camping! Just be careful if you pitch next to Sword's tent. And never mix mead, scotch and port. Or was it scotch, then mead then port. Duane do you recall?

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Shame it couldn't be done this year - BMW oktoberfest is in Beaver Creek, CO. there is an e9 award (the Parker Spooner award) for the coupe that does the best in the most events. i understand last year they made a mistake. 2 years ago Stevehose won in Birmingham.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Yes but I slept through the awards ceremony that evening (too much Spaten) and I never received it.

Shame it couldn't be done this year - BMW oktoberfest is in Beaver Creek, CO. there is an e9 award (the Parker Spooner award) for the coupe that does the best in the most events. i understand last year they made a mistake. 2 years ago Stevehose won in Birmingham.

iconoclast6

Reaction score
Trans-continental E9 road trip

I'm looking to take some time driving my Agave e9 this year, on the west coast...to a few shows, and down Highway 1.

BUT... an East coast coupe contingent road trip sounds intriguing....for 2015.

Perhaps we could also get sponsors and group rates on travel and such....?