Trim between taillights - chrome or aluminum?

Discussion in 'E9 General Discussion' started by Gary Knox, Oct 3, 2018.

1. bfeng

bfeng Well-Known Member Site Donor

Isn't lighter better?

2. dave v. in nc

dave v. in nc Well-Known Member Site Donor

Silly me, I didn't think that the magnet would stick to either the brass or aluminum ones...

Markos likes this.
  3. Gary Knox

Gary Knox Well-Known Member

Yes, in general, but a bit more weight in the rear to compensate for the lump I have in the front that produces about an additional 75 HP doesn't seem like a bad idea to me (as if another 10 oz or so has any effect)!

But, biggest reason is that I just like the continuum of the chrome from edge to edge in the rear (and, like others, I think the change to Al was only to add a few more Deutsche Marks to the profit margin for BMW which had been struggling financially).

Gary-

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
  4. autokunst

autokunst Well-Known Member Site Donor $$

I am certain that the designers and the people responsible for creating the beautiful lines of our coupes wanted that material to be the same from the top of the driver's tail light to the tip of the passenger's side. No doubt it was a cost decision to switch the piece and result in a non-matching surface. True, it is a little bit lighter, but that was not the reason here. As for the weight difference, I can make that up by eating one less doughnut... :D

5. rsporsche

rsporsche Well-Known Member Site Donor $$

the thing to consider is the aluminum is more prone to denting that the chrome plated brass.

6. Gary Knox

Gary Knox Well-Known Member

Ah Stephen - is it really worth eating ONE LESS doughnut??? That is a terribly high price to pay. I, like President GHW Bush, have given up eating broccoli instead! Lack of broccoli in the diet has not been proven to reduce your life expectancy.

Gary

7. autokunst

autokunst Well-Known Member Site Donor $$

I guess it depends on the doughnut and the day. :D Funny in that I just put my little tupperware of lunch away which is a container of mostly broccoli. I love the stuff! In hind sight I should have abstained today in honor of our 41st president.

Markos likes this.