True CSL wheelarch chrome

bert35csi

Site Donor
Reaction score
Lo and behold! Did the prices on the chromed wheel arches actually come down? I believed at one point they were priced at about $2400 for a set of fours. It is listed at $311 per now at Maximillian's MobileTradition site.

DJSimca

Reaction score
Does someone have a photo showing the difference between the original CSL wheel arches and the 'other' wheel arches?

Don't know whether mine has the original wheel arches installed or not :shock:

Orangener

Reaction score
As you can see on the picture from walloth&nesch the edges are round, but the Csl-arches are square-edged.
The "w&n" are made of polished steel, the originals are made of chromed brass..........

d304ba58b2d13e6b4178af68e2b68c8a.jpg
[Broken External Image]:http://www.wallothnesch.com/d/pg/g70.jpg

bert35csi

Site Donor
Reaction score
This is how the factory CSL fender trim should look. If they don't have the same profile then they are aftermarket items.

Bert
72 3.5 CSi
88 M6
351bb98dc5f810db59d2aa3fed9bcc17.jpg

b04de5a7f474adba8e396b1efe462908.jpg

Gerrit

Reaction score
Some background information on the CSL wheel arches:

The wheel arches were originaly designed to allow the mounting of the Alpina 7x14 rims/XWX tyres combination onto the CSL. Those arches were made of polished stainless steel with a weight of 520 grams for the front and 509 grams for the rear (according to the books). For rigidity, the arches had a "squared" leading edge as shown in the pictures above. As Motorsport in Oct.73 took over the management of the performance parts, the wheel arches were attributed the same stickers as for example the wing, spoilers and so on (black sticker on the inner side with the last 7 digits of the part number). As some of those arches had run NLA, BMW had a new batch of those made (about 2 to 3 years ago) which look identical to the originals. It is not known to me how well they fit. Also, There are at least 3 type of copies that exist on the market, in chromed brass or stainless steel.
Gerrit

DJSimca

Reaction score
Fantastic level of knowledge on this forum :D

Thanks for the answers ... turns out that my CSL is equipped with the correct wheel arches 8)

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
@bert35csi,

I would be hoping if you could search your personal archive, and repost the picture of the "true" CSL wheel arch profile. (the above pic in post #10 is missing).
I'm curious and wanting to be able to distinguish one from the other.

nosmonkey

In Rust We Trust
Site Donor
Reaction score
Erik I've got one original LH front csl arch and an repop RH arch from BMW last year, I'll compare the 2 for you tomorrow, remind me

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
There was a thread somwhere showing the differences. The later ones are bigger and don't have the correct profile... See if I can find the thread

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
Did I inadvertently buy CSL trim for my 1996 Ford Explorer back in 1997??? BTW this photo was taken a few days ago.

Attachments

• IMG_2724.jpg
    IMG_2724.jpg
    425.9 KB · Views: 142