Trunk (boot) rebuild

jhjacobs

Reaction score
The photo isn't my trunk, it is Steve Bingham's (I swiped the image from the V@V photos).

I am using a simple gray textured vinyl from a sewing shop. It isn't the real deal but it is close and my coupe will never be a "best in show" car, I just want to look good to the eye.

I don't have a "before" trunk picture but I will post and "after" when I finish. This photo gives a taste for what I started with:
Amlie5.jpg

This is where we are now:
DSC_5317.jpg

I've still go lots to do. My interior probably ranks a B- but once I redo the seats and center console we'll be stylin!

jhjacobs

Reaction score
The photo isn't my trunk, it is Steve Bingham's (I swiped the image from the V@V photos).

I am using a simple gray textured vinyl from a sewing shop. It isn't the real deal but it is close and my coupe will never be a "best in show" car, I just want to look good to the eye.

I don't have a "before" trunk picture but I will post and "after" when I finish. This photo gives a taste for what I started with:
Amlie5.jpg

This is where we are now:
DSC_5317.jpg

I've still go lots to do. My interior probably ranks a B- but once I redo the seats and center console we'll be stylin!

jmackro

Reaction score
Yes, the photo you posted shows the correct position for that piece of wood - at least on my 1970 2800 CS. My assumption is that it just serves as a "fence" to keep stuff in the trunk from putting dents in the bodywork when making hard right-hand turns. The little caddy on the right side of the trunk serves this function for left-hand turns (and holds your quarts of POR15 too!).

I just finished re-making some of my trunk wood - the wood as well as the steel rots on our cars too! Couldn't find elephant hide vinyl to re-cover my pieces, but my local upholstery supplier had some vinyl in a color, if not a texture, that matched pretty well.

jmackro

Reaction score
Yes, the photo you posted shows the correct position for that piece of wood - at least on my 1970 2800 CS. My assumption is that it just serves as a "fence" to keep stuff in the trunk from putting dents in the bodywork when making hard right-hand turns. The little caddy on the right side of the trunk serves this function for left-hand turns (and holds your quarts of POR15 too!).

I just finished re-making some of my trunk wood - the wood as well as the steel rots on our cars too! Couldn't find elephant hide vinyl to re-cover my pieces, but my local upholstery supplier had some vinyl in a color, if not a texture, that matched pretty well.

jhjacobs

Reaction score
My trunk restoration reaching 90%. I still need to make a rear cover, repaint the hinges, do some touch ups and final cleaning. Otherwise, it is coming together.

Tool case was badly damaged. Repaired with super glue, screws & washers.
DSCN2090.jpg

Fairly complete tool kit
DSCN2091.jpg

I plan to make a new utility box...someday. For now I have the essentials: Bailing wire and duct tape!
DSCN2092.jpg

Wood trim to match interior
DSCN2086.jpg

New tower skins!
DSCN2087.jpg

Last but not least, an LED modified replacement bulb (hand made).
DSCN2096.jpg

jhjacobs

Reaction score
Just installed the rear cover panel. I decided to go with the Navy blue like the interior to contrast with the veneer top deck panels. The last step will be to dress up the paint around the seal.

The lighter blue fuzz is actually blue felt under the wood panels. For some reason the flash exaggerated it, in reality it is almost invisible.
DSCN2099.jpg

jhjacobs

Reaction score
The trunk mat came from World Upholstery (www.worlduph.com). I bought a complete carpet kit. I am almost certain you can buy the trunk mat separately. The carpet was a perfect fit. The trunk mat seems to be a slight bit small around the narrow part of the trunk but it still looks fine.